• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried measuring the actual garment? Jacket makers vary quite a bit between each other. 16 is on the smaller side, though, for a 36.

yea its a small so not sure whether it counts as 36 or 38 but i guess 38 cause i dont fit in a 36 in anything.
Will do the measuring myself, thanks. Stupid question but do i go direct between the two shoulder Points or trace up then down towards collar

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noob question:
i have an unlined schott in size small that fits me pretty well. Its measurements on the site say 16 for shoulders

every other aero/vanson etc… in size 38 or even 36 iirc have 17 or 18+ For their shoulder measurements.

are they really that bigger in the shoulders? Or is something different with the way they measure. I’m 5’8 but would say im more broad shouldered than not

Measurements can be handy when shopping at a distance, but they can be very misleading. A different shape, for instance, will require different measurements to wear the same way.

I’d also assume that an unlined jacket is probably made of a pretty light/thin leather. With a thick hide + lining you’re going to need more shoulder space to have the same size ‘inside’ if that makes sense.

That said, you’re overstating the “every other” thing. Across the board, a size 40 is about 18“ in the shoulders. It can sometimes be higher or lower but that’s down to specific jacket quirks. (Some size 40 jackets, for instance, are sized more like a 38.)

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've got a question for the community: I find myself drawn to more of a sheep/lambskin leather jacket recently. Specifically, cafe racer or Buco J-100 style for everyday casual wear. Now, I don't own one these days anymore (sold mine off a while back) but I'm missing the ease of wear it provided.

Is it just me, or is trying to rock a horsehide or even heavy cowhide a la Schott on the daily a bit much? I mean, let's take the standard Real McCoy's J-100 in their thin-nish horsehide. Isn't there still a sense of restricted movement in them compared to a soft lamb?

Or do you find something like this wearable on the daily?

I had this similar realization after owning two horsehide leathers from Addict. The comfort and drape of lambskin/sheepskin is just very tempting. There are more pliable horsehides as people have said before but in general horsehide is usually more rigid.

We probably just aren't forcing ourselves through the break in period with enough diligence haha.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, behold!

It is I, the man with no plan except to try on every leather jacket I come across until I find "the one" that speaks to me, that fits me, that complements my ever-evolving shape and completes me. And I have found it. Thank you Ebay.

For all the Fine Creek Leather ripping, Vanson wait-listing, Schott almost-settling, Iron Heart not feeling, James Grose bad-sizing and Real McCoy Buco J-100 too-slimming, I can proudly say I have found it.

Turns out I needed to look to the past to find my leather jacket of today. And what did I find? An early 2000's Coach sheep leather (it's pliable, it's soft, yet it's semi-thick and heavy with a nice weight) cafe racer.

It fits comfortably, close and flattering with room to move, it's not limiting in any way and it's minimal in appearance. Best of all, I got the two horizontal Buco J-100 chest style pockets like I wanted all along. And yes, I can zip it up easily.

IMG_8706.jpg

36011c757045c75c1bdb4b9e485b610f.png

So I bid you adieu. My leather journey has ended. For I have my James Grose nappa shearling and now this Coach cafe racer. Tis all I need.

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, behold!

It is I, the man with no plan except to try on every leather jacket I come across until I find "the one" that speaks to me, that fits me, that complements my ever-evolving shape and completes me. And I have found it. Thank you Ebay.

For all the Fine Creek Leather ripping, Vanson wait-listing, Schott almost-settling, Iron Heart not feeling, James Grose bad-sizing and Real McCoy Buco J-100 too-slimming, I can proudly say I have found it.

Turns out I needed to look to the past to find my leather jacket of today. And what did I find? An early 2000's Coach sheep leather (it's pliable, it's soft, yet it's semi-thick and heavy with a nice weight) cafe racer.

It fits comfortably, close and flattering with room to move, it's not limiting in any way and it's minimal in appearance. Best of all, I got the two horizontal Buco J-100 chest style pockets like I wanted all along. And yes, I can zip it up easily.

View attachment 1838856

View attachment 1838857

So I bid you adieu. My leather journey has ended. For I have my James Grose nappa shearling and now this Coach cafe racer. Tis all I need.

Pretty sure you can't zip that up "easily". :hide:

iluvatar

Reaction score
I tried on the Eastman Roadstar this weekend at Standard and Strange, and I am seriously considering heading back later this week to bite the bullet.

Speaking of horsehide vs lambskin, I was surprised by how soft and comfortable the horsehide they used for this jacket is right off the bat. I mostly wear rugged workwear type stuff, though, so my perception might be a bit different.

IMG_2950.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on the Eastman Roadstar this weekend at Standard and Strange, and I am seriously considering heading back later this week to bite the bullet.

Speaking of horsehide vs lambskin, I was surprised by how soft and comfortable the horsehide they used for this jacket is right off the bat. I mostly wear rugged workwear type stuff, though, so my perception might be a bit different.

View attachment 1838892
I have a Simmons bilt that's made with the blattwerk horsehide that's incredible soft right off the bat. No break in needed

suedefetish

Reaction score
Wise jacket nerds, what are the lil dingly dongles under the arm? Some traditional thing or??

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wise jacket nerds, what are the lil dingly dongles under the arm? Some traditional thing or??

Or that tan patch or that upper sleeve zipper??

suedefetish

Reaction score
My Buzz Ricksons bomber has them too I'm just not sure what the purpose is lol

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those snap-down tabs are for holding a pilot's microphone and headset cables in place. The patch near the zipper is for clipping the retainer of the oxygen mask to.

Is this the leather Buzz Rickson's MA-1?

Horsehide has never been an inherently hefty/stiff material. Workwear fans just really drove a demand for that because they were importing raw denim culture into leather goods. If you look at actual hard-worn vintage workwear jackets, they're usually in leather thicknesses modern workwear cosplayers would scoff at.

The hide Eastman uses for this jacket and for the Californian is really great. And it looks like S&S, to their credit (I generally dislike the store), readjusted the prices to reflect the drop in the pound's value, so you're not getting the usual American store ripoff in this case.

Or that tan patch or that upper sleeve zipper??

The sleeve zipper is for the pocket on the sleeve. The patch is for clipping the oxygen mask to.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads