• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, so that story was actually a subtweet??

My story about the guy who talked his girlfriend (whose own style he belittled) into paying thousands of dollars for a “natty veg tan schoolgirl bag” after already getting her to buy loads of other expensive “natty veg tan” from the same Japanese place had nothing to do with XWT. I met him on a different clothes discussion, and I can’t imagine our boy acting that way with his family.

@XWT I’m a bit polemical in writing style but in reality none of this clothes discussion is all that serious (or “intense”) to me.

Though the guy I mentioned is definitely an asshole to his gf (who bankrolls his obsession), which I do think is actually gross behavior.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just in case it's not a girls backpack, it's the backpack everyone uses until like middle school or high school I forget.

Kindergarten through elementary school. It's not like a binder or British satchel (which don't have such a specifically prepubescent link).

I still use my satchel from my school days, but to anyone looking it's just a briefcase.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Postman brought something nice today...

20220127_165352.jpg

Moostyle

Reaction score
Hi guys after returning a cheap lambskin leather jacket I am now on the lookout for something good quality and long-lasting that is sleek and svelte for smart casual occasions. I went to try on an Addict Clothes AD-01 Center Zip Horsehide today and it was pretty damn cool (albeit stiff, I bet the break-in isn't fun) but with an eye watering price of 1650EUR. I notice that they keep coming up on Ebay for around half that price.

Is this jacket a recommended purchase and are there any other jackets similarly styled to recommend? :)

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this jacket a recommended purchase and are there any other jackets similarly styled to recommend? :)

If you want similar styles, you can look into Lewis Leathers. This is the brand that Addict is basically copying. On the other hand... I really like Addict. They select good hides, have made good - albeit small - modifications to the patterns, and the fact that there is less branding is also something I appreciate.

I've been looking into the Addict AD-02 myself, although I can't afford it for a few months at least.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys after returning a cheap lambskin leather jacket I am now on the lookout for something good quality and long-lasting that is sleek and svelte for smart casual occasions. I went to try on an Addict Clothes AD-01 Center Zip Horsehide today and it was pretty damn cool (albeit stiff, I bet the break-in isn't fun) but with an eye watering price of 1650EUR. I notice that they keep coming up on Ebay for around half that price.

It's a copy of the Lewis Leathers Corsair. Just buy that. Their construction and leathers (which come in all levels of stiffness, so that's up to you) are top of the line. Lewis also includes measurement/pattern adjustments for your needs, within that, as well as off-menu picks like @peachfuzzmcgee just got. No reason to get Addict unless you're in Japan and concerned about import tariffs (which I assume is the only reason Addict's LL copies exist.)

Moostyle

Reaction score
It's a copy of the Lewis Leathers Corsair. Just buy that. Their construction and leathers (which come in all levels of stiffness, so that's up to you) are top of the line. Lewis also includes measurement/pattern adjustments for your needs, within that, as well as off-menu picks like @peachfuzzmcgee just got. No reason to get Addict unless you're in Japan and concerned about import tariffs (which I assume is the only reason Addict's LL copies exist.)
Thanks for the link but is the logo on the breast permanently attached? It looks terrible vs the AD-01's lack of branding,

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link but is the logo on the breast permanently attached? It looks terrible vs the AD-01's lack of branding,

Lewis used to list the option of patch/no patch until the Japanese started making copies of their jackets. You can ask, though; they'll do a lot of things on request. That said, the logo text (which I've coincidentally become fond of despite being pretty minimalist) rubs away pretty easily. It's not embroidered or anything, just a light gold leaf inking.

I also meant to add that the export price is €859, and then of course whichever import fees apply where you live.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m about to order another jacket in a different style than pictured here, but in the same ballpark - any fit issues I should address based on this photo? (Thanks!)
31C5E762-28B5-4126-9A30-0BE201AA8C66.jpeg

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don’t have experience personally with either, but the Fedora Lounge has a few threads about Addict and LL. Fwiw, I’ve heard Addict’s HH is generally nicer than LL’s and typical of Shinki/Shinki style horse, but LL is very well regarded in general and the pricing and sizing/patterning for western vs eastern body type I’ve seen mentioned may influence your decision. I also really like the look of LL’s sheep. A lot of the vitriol aimed at Addict is typical of what @JibranK mentioned many times, which I think is fair, but it’s hard to find actual comparisons outside of the copy talk.

I was listening to a Blamo pod where Mark Cho, the guy from A Continuous Lean, and Jeremy were talking about Japan, and one of them mentioned how the Japanese market wouldn’t sell a popular model of RW chukka because it was explained to him that they didn’t like the way one particular stitch was done on the heel or something. It seems kinda nuts, but this type of obsession with details is typical of my experience with most high end Japanese product, especially leathers. Most people, probably including me, wouldn’t notice or care about that one thing, but if you are the type of person who does and can afford the difference it may bother you not having it. Their QC and tolerances are also mentioned as being the best in the world with the least variation, which was another point brought up about why you would pay a higher price for a product in Japan. Their stitching is also very precise and fine in a way I like personally, and I do not believe it to be a weak point, in particular, for tearing. This isn’t meant to be a “Japanese everything is awesome” comment as much as to point out other potential things to take into account. That’s also not to say LL has bad stitching. It could be awesome, just pointing out my personal experiences.

I’d wager whatever you choose, you’d be happy with. I don’t believe Addict personally to be the simple scam some make it out to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: XWT

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add additional feedback. Originally I considered the Lewis patch a non starter, it has really grown on me and i like it now. You may be able to have them put it on the shoulder(I don't know for sure), I had a vintage one with that placement. It's pretty subtle in real life.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Observing that the Addict is a LL copy isn't vitriolic; it's even understandable in light of the fact that foreign jackets imported to Japan are more expensive than they are in their home markets (look at Aero, Eastman, Schott, and LL Japan prices). The reason Addict started making them wasn't due to a perceived lack of quality in LL's product; it was because the supply of vintage LL (which Addict was a dealer of) was drying up, and the costs of import.

It's not a scam per se… but buying it in the West is a bit like buying the Made in USA - imported to Japan - reimported to the US Sugar Canes, which cost twice as much as normal Sugar Canes, due to the layers of import costs. Kiya (who sells them) has made the same observation himself.

Vintage LL wasn't finished as well as the modern LL jackets are, for what it's worth.

People who own both say that the (very expensive) veg tan cow/horse hide used by LL, which is more like the hide used on RMC Buco and the like, is as nice or nicer than Shinki veg tan horsehide. The basic horsehide is not fancy but it's more purpose-built for race suits and the like.

I'm not against Japanese products. I own many of them.

Just to add additional feedback. Originally I considered the Lewis patch a non starter, it has really grown on me and i like it now. You may be able to have them put it on the shoulder(I don't know for sure), I had a vintage one with that placement. It's pretty subtle in real life.

I went through the same trajectory. Lewis's website photo angles makes it look much more prominent than it is in real life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads