• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theh00d

Reaction score
why not just get the Stoffa?I looked around for a while for something similar but ended up with the Stoffa.

A bit outside of my price range : (
Valstar is probably along my price range if they had something similar but I mostly just see A1's

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
20220124_175102.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was asking about this comment, what don't you like about the jacket?

This issue has been discussed many times, but that Vanson model has a weird collar gap when worn. Thurston tried to sell it as a "feature," but I doubt it's intentional since the person at Thurston didn't even know this was happening until I pointed it out in a thread.

My guess is that they have a bad pattern and a stock of inventory they need to sell through. If you have a bunch of jackets, and creating a new pattern costs money, then you're probably going to tell people this is a feature and not a bug.

628168-0bad3290bde15efaeceb6117ed6f3537.jpeg

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This issue has been discussed many times,

What makes this whole mini-thread baffling is that sinnedk brought up the collar gap when he mentioned the Daredevil delay in the first place:

it was a fiasco on this forum. Thurston over promised and it took forever then came out with a collar gap no one liked. I think jacket looks fine at the end.

but just search styleforum vanson daredevil

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Um, the fact that the neck hole looks like it was made for Godzilla?
This issue has been discussed many times, but that Vanson model has a weird collar gap when worn. Thurston tried to sell it as a "feature," but I doubt it's intentional since the person at Thurston didn't even know this was happening until I pointed it out in a thread.

My guess is that they have a bad pattern and a stock of inventory they need to sell through. If you have a bunch of jackets, and creating a new pattern costs money, then you're probably going to tell people this is a feature and not a bug.

View attachment 1742953
What makes this whole mini-thread baffling is that sinnedk brought up the collar gap when he mentioned the Daredevil delay in the first place:

Guys I was asking what @Understatesman didn’t like about the jacket. I know about the collar gap but was curious if that’s all he didn’t like. Maybe he didn’t like the sheen, maybe a zip was off who knows but I was curious.

I was NOT re asking about something that I initially pointed out. You guys are jumping to conclusions as always .

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1742953

The jacket isn't what I'd go for really but the collar shape is the same on the Junya model (I looked at the runway pictures from 2007), so presumably it was a feature for those looking for it.

I wonder what it looks like totally zipped up. I've taken to wearing my Indian Ranger that way and I'm actually quite liking the shirt collar look.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The jacket isn't what I'd go for really but the collar shape is the same on the Junya model (I looked at the runway pictures from 2007), so presumably it was a feature for those looking for it.

I wonder what it looks like totally zipped up. I've taken to wearing my Indian Ranger that way and I'm actually quite liking the shirt collar look.

Yes, the Junya jacket exhibited the same issue. I brought this up in the original Thurston thread and still think the Juyna jacket should be avoided for the same reason. It doesn't fit anyone particularly well because of how it's designed.

But I don't think Junya designed that pattern. I assume he asked Vanson to make him a DR and that he would add his creative touch by placing some pockets on their template. Or, at least, that's how I saw the Junya x Vanson cafe racer I bought. That jacket doesn't have the collar gap issue, but it's just a standard Vanson with some different pockets. That jacket was made for the same 2007 collection.

If you look at Thurston's website, a few of their jackets exhibit the same issue. So I assume Vanson just has a bad pattern maker.

Vanson_Daredevil_Fit_Photos_Wade_Front_3_FINAL.jpeg
Vanson_Model_F_Front_4.1_e7f04277-ffa5-4560-a147-5ddea33c8ef8.jpg
Vanson_Arrow_Gambler_Front_2_smaller_hidden_snaps.jpeg

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey don't drag me into this clownfest. I thought my "problem" with the jacket was made obvious from the get go. Not sure why it needed following up on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads