• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing the leather will be key, not sure why he’s not posting that.

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing the leather will be key, not sure why he’s not posting that.
Because i didn't take a photo about the leather at first, and I'm not at home this weekend.
I just thought the tag would be in particular and enough to help id.

But now I'm sure it's CXL as heavy and stiff , thank you all!

Last edited:

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because i didn't take a photo about the leather at first, and I'm not at home this weekend.

Fair enough. Next time you want someone to ID something, show the thing itself.

Heavy and stiff ≠ CXL by default. It *is* a stiff leather but hand Vicenza to someone familiar with fashion jackets (usually lamb) and he’ll consider it super stiff and heavy; CXL is less than 20% heavier. It all depends on your frame of reference.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fair enough. Next time you want someone to ID something, show the thing itself.

Heavy and stiff ≠ CXL by default. It *is* a stiff leather but hand Vicenza to someone familiar with fashion jackets (usually lamb) and he’ll consider it super stiff and heavy; CXL is less than 20% heavier. It all depends on your frame of reference.

@JibranK is absolutely right.

To add, i hope you know a leather can be CXL and not horse its a tanning process not a "leather" type. Alden makes CXL shoes that im pretty certain are calf cxl.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JibranK is absolutely right.

To add, i hope you know a leather can be CXL and not horse its a tanning process not a "leather" type. Alden makes CXL shoes that im pretty certain are calf cxl.

The Alden 403 Indy is Chromexcel. It doesn't specify whether it's calf or cow, but I believe it's cowhide, as that's what used on the 405 Indy, which is not Chromexcel. Those are the two most common Indy boot makeups.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Alden 403 Indy is Chromexcel. It doesn't specify whether it's calf or cow, but I believe it's cowhide, as that's what used on the 405 Indy, which is not Chromexcel. Those are the two most common Indy boot makeups.

I love my 403s. CXL is almost invariably steerhide/cowhide. When Aero first requested CXL horse back in the day, Horween was confused.

You’ll occasionally see CXL FQHH used by other makes but not too often. I think Aero has some kind of exclusivity deal for it in jackets, since I’ve only seen it used by others in limited editions.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bud I am not splitting hairs here but a calf is a young cow thus a calf leather jacket maybe a bit softer then a cowhide one but still cow.

anyways bovine stuff

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When Aero first requested CXL horse back in the day, Horween was confused

I’m not surprised to hear that. The CXL FQHH used by Aero is pretty much boot leather. It’s as thick as the CXL boots I’ve owned.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not surprised to hear that. The CXL FQHH used by Aero is pretty much boot leather. It’s as thick as the CXL boots I’ve owned.

It's hefty stuff, but CXL steerhide is actually thicker and heavier. (The FQHH is 3oz, the steer is 4oz.)

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair the OP just posted a tag that said horsehide I'm the one who added CXL into the mix.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bud I am not splitting hairs here but a calf is a young cow thus a calf leather jacket maybe a bit softer then a cowhide one but still cow.

anyways bovine stuff

Yeah but when someone says "cowhide" they don't mean "the hide of bos taurus", they mean "the hide of an adult rather than a juvenile bos taurus", ie, not calf. The fact that colloquially we use "cow" to refer to male and female, adult and juvenile bos taurus individuals doesn't mean that "cowhide" is used indifferently to those distinctions.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah but when someone says "cowhide" they don't mean "the hide of bos taurus", they mean "the hide of an adult rather than a juvenile bos taurus", ie, not calf. The fact that colloquially we use "cow" to refer to male and female, adult and juvenile bos taurus individuals doesn't mean that "cowhide" is used indifferently to those distinctions.

I think most people in this thread/forum are aware that cowhide is used interchangeably to refer to multiple different bovine species.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most people in this thread/forum are aware that cowhide is used interchangeably to refer to multiple different bovine species.

calves and cows are the same species, and my claim is precisely that “cowhide” is *not* used to refer to calfskin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads