• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always thought this idea was bogus. The idea that, if a leather jacket is uncomfortable in the beginning, you can depend on it stretching out to where it's comfortable. Leathers do sometimes stretch over time, but I wouldn't buy a leather jacket that's uncomfortable on the half chance that it might be comfortable later. IMO, this is the leather version of "size down three in APC" type stuff that was super popular during the uber-slim-fit-denim era.

Right, if the pattern itself does not fit you, that won't right itself. Breaking in the leather itself might be a different matter, though, and someone who doesn't know the difference could get confused.

If the jacket fits in the shoulders and body, can fasten fully without sausaging you, and there aren't any points of obvious fit issues otherwise, then you can assume it fits, and there's just leather break in left to go.

Even this last bit only really applies to certain leathers, like thick Horween horsehide, or the waterproofed leathers on Schott or Lost Worlds jackets.

And the transformation in that case is going from fitting you (at the start) to fitting better post break in. If it doesn't fit at the start, it's not going to.

I think this was the kick in the pants I needed. The jacket in question zips up properly and looks right, but is pulling in the wrong places, very uncomfortable in the upper arms. I tried to put up with it because it was made-to-order, took like 6 months to get to me...you know, I didn't want to feel I wasted all that time. It is a Japanese brand so maybe the pattern doesn't work with my meaty American bod. Thanks guyz :)

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nope. Happy with my size 44 (sold the 40 and 42). Though if anyone else is interested, here's where I bought mine. All they have left is the suede ones (of which I'm tempted).

I used a proxy service called White Rabbit Express. Easy peazy.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I've always thought this idea was bogus. The idea that, if a leather jacket is uncomfortable in the beginning, you can depend on it stretching out to where it's comfortable. Leathers do sometimes stretch over time, but I wouldn't buy a leather jacket that's uncomfortable on the half chance that it might be comfortable later. IMO, this is the leather version of "size down three in APC" type stuff that was super popular during the uber-slim-fit-denim era.

Brought to you by the same guys who say "This show gets pretty good after the first six episodes" and "The early game could be better but it becomes a really fun game 40 hours in."

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been wanting a Onewheel lately. Best leather to pair for it, double rider or cafe rider?

electric_cyclery_onewheel_pint.jpg

MrProper

Reaction score
Been wanting a Onewheel lately. Best leather to pair for it, double rider or cafe rider?

View attachment 1712257
Doesn't matter, as long as the leather is very abrasion resistant. lol
I have with my OneWheel many falls. Fortunately, everything off-road or on the meadow. On the road I could always save myself by jumping.
AD2AF9A6-8639-4E55-A446-8D27D42721CD_1_201_a.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, as long as the leather is very abrasion resistant. lol
I have with my OneWheel many falls. Fortunately, everything off-road or on the meadow. On the road I could always save myself by jumping.
View attachment 1712258

never knew you could off road these things

@upsett1_spaghett1
Haha yup, other than some one of RRL probably hasn’t post fit picture since 2011…

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
APC is a French clothing brand. About ten or fifteen years ago, their jeans were super popular. People often sized down once, twice, sometimes even three times to get the supposed "correct" fit. The jeans were super uncomfortable that way, but people said you just have to put up with the discomfort and trust that they'll break-in.

Jeans do break in and stretch and conform to the wearer's body. Moreso than other materials. But I've also heard this advice passed on for so many items, including bespoke suits and sport coats. Sometimes a customer will complain and the tailor will say, "let it settle." In that old Aero x Thurston thread, the Thurston rep both claimed that the collar gap was intentional and that it will go away with time (a strange combination). The idea was that, as the leather broke in, the pattern will magically become whatever you hoped it would be.

I think if the pattern is bad in the beginning, it will be bad in the future. People used to size down super hard on their APCs just because it was the thing to do, even though you can just buy the right size.

I’m currently sitting in my kitchen wearing a 12 year old pair of APCs that I sized down none. They were comfortable from day one.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m currently sitting in my kitchen wearing a 12 year old pair of APCs that I sized down none. They were comfortable from day one.

People used to size down 6+ inches (I saw 8, even 10) on their APCs.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
were they vanity size to sttart?

Probably by an inch or two but that wasn't the justification, especially since they'd go down far further than that. The APC fans would always insist "they'll stretch".

I actually saw someone post on Reddit recently who seemed to fall out of that cursed era of denim culture. He was showing off his APCs that he had downsized 4 inches, to the point that you can see it squeezing and contorting his body. I don't understand the appeal, but I guess that late-2000s APC subculture still lives in some places.

7iypxa5dm4081.jpg

You'll be completely unsurprised to learn this guy believes in the 2000s myth that washing ruins jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads