• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think an all-black minimalist leather jacket, whether in suede or some smooth leather, goes better with black or grey jeans. Minimalist jackets have so little detailing to break up the leather. So unless you're wearing black or grey pants, it's going to look a bit odd. Otherwise, a black jacket with silver or gunmetal zips will be more versatile. With a minimalist all-black jacket with little detailing, you have to lean into that dark, moody look.

You can see this in Stoffa's new campaigns. Their black plonge leather is made with hidden zippers, so they pair it with grey trousers. You could do the same with black jeans.

If you do a black jacket with silver zips, or any kind of earthy color, you can wear the jacket with blue jeans or other earthtones.

I'm mostly tepid on the jacket because I feel like that APC look is a bit old. But that's a bit subjective. I do think that a Valstar Clint jacket would look better and it has a little more direction and flavor than that APC look. Or Stoffa. Or some other option. Lots of stuff available if you don't want to do high fashion or workwear.

I think if I were to do black it would be smooth leather. I like the color palette on Stoffa's collection. That jacket is too bold for me though, I can't do big lapels or I feel conspicuous; I just personally like minimal with small details. My friends are going wild with the 90s throwback looks but it suits their lifestyles and physicality more. And again, I won't be wearing this a ton, definitely more of a statement piece for me

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, though I'm not necessarily going for a traditional look. I want something more modern and I like the minimal design and color of the AllSaints jacket. I like cafe/moto racers in pictures with applicable settings, but it doesn't suit my taste or style in general as it feels too motorsporty and less versatile with my wardrobe. For me, this bomber is more casual and doesn't back me into a specific style. I feel like I'd have to wear leather boots with a cafe/moto racer which isn't me. I could wear the bomber with a casual button down into the office and I wouldn't feel out of place as well as going out to a bar and not looking like I rode a bike there

When I mention cafe racers, I really just mean the cut/pattern, not necessarily cafe racer style pockets or styling. Essentially a slim-straight cut, rather than downsizing a blousy cut to fit slimmer, if that makes sense.

PORCAMOSRL

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here’s a collection of Zilli Leather Jackets and Kiton Leather Jackets that I’ve collected for an article!

ZILLI WHITE LAMBSKIN COAT

KITON BEIGE LEATHER LAMBSKIN COAT

ZILLI BROWN LEATHER SUEDE MINK FUR COAT

KITON BROWN LEATHER SUEDE COAT

ZILLI BROWN REINDEER LEATHER MINK COAT

ZILLI BROWN LEATHER COAT

ZILLI BLACK DEER LEATHER COAT

KITON DARK BLUE LEATHER FUR COAT

MrProper

Reaction score
True, though I'm not necessarily going for a traditional look. I want something more modern and I like the minimal design and color of the AllSaints jacket. I like cafe/moto racers in pictures with applicable settings, but it doesn't suit my taste or style in general as it feels too motorsporty and less versatile with my wardrobe. For me, this bomber is more casual and doesn't back me into a specific style. I feel like I'd have to wear leather boots with a cafe/moto racer which isn't me. I could wear the bomber with a casual button down into the office and I wouldn't feel out of place as well as going out to a bar and not looking like I rode a bike there
I think these are biases. Exactly what you describe, you can do everything with a Café racer.
But anyway, if you like your jacket, then everything is wonderful. Btw, I personally would take it tighter rather than wider. Even more so if you wear it open most of the time.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That jacket looks kinda dorky to be honest at that size. I would choose something different regardless of color, but if you like it so much just buy it. I mean I feel like that is what this site is about.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the APC vibe which I like, but for $400 and something I'll only wear a few months out of the year? Don't want to spend 1k on something like this. I'm open to alternatives in the $4-500 range

Bro, I know THE BEST jacket for you ... this guy's for sale on the E and the G sites. Navy-grayish suede trucker from ToJ.

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 3.14.44 AM.png

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I agree it looks off zipped up but I really like how it looks unzipped which is how I'd wear it 99% of the time. It doesn't get colder than 40-50f here so I doubt I'll ever have to zip it, and if it does then I'd prefer to wear a light sweater under or something else since it'd probably be wet outside. TBH the alternatives you've provided don't appeal to me nearly as much as in my mind this is a leather jacket that doesn't scream it's a leather jacket and is more versatile with different fits. Leather jackets with collars and moto style just scream dad vibes to me or trying too hard unless it's a specific look and you have the right build/features. Again, just my opinion. I've gotten approval from several female friends but I will definitely try on a medium again

Last edited:

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's not like I live in small town middle America lol. I do all my shopping myself and if I'm conflicted I consult my trusted guy and girl friends, and occasionally random internet folk

tgaith77

Reaction score
I'm forgetting what the discussion is about with your jacket. Do we like it? Should you keep it? It sounds like you you like it, so...

If this thread has taught me anything, it's that advice from internet strangers on how a leather jacket should fit is generally ignored.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only suggestion was that you find something similar that is slightly bigger but not quite as much as the medium (from your description). I wasn’t trying to talk you into a different look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads