• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there something about the jacket itself that you don’t like regardless of fit on me?
I didn’t really expect schott to fit me (this is my 4th attempt at different models/sizes) but just wanted to get a feel for the DR style and what might work.

Here is another option: This is a lambskin Schott Perfecto with more normal dimensions. Personally, I liked the fit. Model 7606.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 3.59.29 PM.png

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These two Schotts I got (a Neighborhood x Schott DR in size 38, and a Schott x Journal Standard in size 40) are Japanese 613 models, but tweaked to remove the epaulets, belt, change the lining, or some other minor cosmetic changes. Surely they are Japanese sized. So the 613UST would have these dimensions only with a longer body. And yes, I could zip up the size 40. But I know I need a size 42.

No, not all jackets sold by Schott Japan are the same pattern, any more than all jackets sold by Schott in the US are on the same pattern.

Also, the size "42" 613UST measures in between the two jackets you just posted. So no, sizing "up" would not fix it.

And both of those are drastically too small for you, though I'm not here to re-litigate your downsizing. (You'll notice in another recent post I actually said FCL's overly high stitch count, rather than your undersizing, was to blame for your jacket that ripped in bed.)

I'm just giving advice to those with more normal (including slim fit) fit preferences.

Also, direct from Schott: The 519 has a back length of 27", the 613S is 25".

This was very briefly the case. The current spec for the 519 is 25-26 at normal sizes, 27 at the huge sizes (2XL-4XL)

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, not all jackets sold by Schott Japan are the same pattern, any more than all jackets sold by Schott in the US are on the same pattern.

The Neighborhood x Schott and the Journal Standard x Schott jackets are both based on the 613 model, if I'm correct. I didn't claim all jackets sold by Schott Japan were.

Last edited:

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Neighborhood x Schott and the Journal Standard x Schott jackets are both literally based on the 613 model. I didn't claim all jackets sold by Schott Japan were.

There are multiple jackets that Schott (in various countries) sells that are 613-derivatives, but this does not mean they have the same pattern.

For instance, the 613S(H) is basically a reproduction of the 60s-70s 613/618/118 pattern, with 613 aesthetics. The 519 is a lighter weight, soft leather version of this, with vertically-oriented zippers and a belt snap. The PER70 is built on the same pattern, but with 618 aesthetics and the belt snap. All of these jackets are moderately V-shaped, because that's part of the design, with a 4 inch drop.

Schott will also use "based on 613" language broadly because that's their most iconic jacket. Both of the jackets you posted, for instance, seem to reflect the pattern of the 626 while having detailing more like the 613. This is a straight cut through the body, rather than a V cut.

The differences in cut are sometimes not as clear in wear before the jacket is well broken in.

Anyway, I posted these details for the benefit of @LuxLemon and others, not to engage in yet another case of everyone debating sizing with you.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bit of an impulse buy, but I really liked this Kemble goat suede jacket at All Saints and wound up getting it for Black Friday. My first leather jacket and for the price I think it was a good buy

Forgot a zipped shot, the chest is a little tight but should stretch a bit
20211122_173332~2.jpg

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a small, a medium seemed too big plus I'm still losing more weight. I'll be wearing it mostly unizpped too. The sales associate was adamant it would stretch a bit and showed me her jacket vs the same new and it seemed within reason. Only need 1-2cm stretch at most. I'll try the medium again though as I have plenty of time to exchange. Guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to be the consensus, I just hope the medium is still slim enough around my lower torso. Don't want a baggy bomber fit

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems to be the consensus, I just hope the medium is still slim enough around my lower torso. Don't want a baggy bomber fit

Might mean a different jacket would be the right call here. Maybe something more in the cafe racer family.

Perhaps more importantly, something that is not alpha sized, so you can fine-tune sizing more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads