• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks a bit feminine , i think it's the light hide and lack of accoutrement to hold it down (belt etc)

i think it does fit and would work fine with a different philosophical style .

the untucked shirt bothers me to no end . given the rest of the fit i'd rather see like a washed perfecto .

$.02 !

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another leather jacket attempt - schott lightweight - thoughts on the fit? Feels a bit like the armpit is cut too low

View attachment 1709426 View attachment 1709427 View attachment 1709428 View attachment 1709429

It’s one of their more fashion jackets so it has the lower armhole. For a higher armhole and better arm motion, without having to go for a stiff riding leather, you may be better served by a 519 (a soft variant of the 613). However, it’s basically a completely different jacket so it’s sort of irrelevant to the discussion, and it will be similarly big at the hem.

I think your best option with similar styling would be the Aero Bootlegger, also available in a slim variant.

The non slim version is a flattering cut too (if you’ve watched Captain America: The First Avenger, it’s the leather jacket he wears. They switched out one of the pocket types, but Thurston can spec the Cap pocket arrangement if you prefer it.) The straps let you nip the waist without making the design busy in the way a belt does. Unfortunately, the wardrobe department went overboard on distressing, but you can still see what the leather and cut are like.
D4954DC1-863A-445D-8D22-DB021A085535.jpeg

MrProper

Reaction score

LuxLemon

Reaction score
I do not want to offend anyone. For my taste it does not fit.
The cuffs are too wide and the hem as well. I think with short jackets the hem needs to be tight. But I'm not sure if the jacket would be better if those two issues were fixed.

Is there something about the jacket itself that you don’t like regardless of fit on me?
I didn’t really expect schott to fit me (this is my 4th attempt at different models/sizes) but just wanted to get a feel for the DR style and what might work.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there something about the jacket itself that you don’t like regardless of fit on me?
I didn’t really expect schott to fit me (this is my 4th attempt at different models/sizes) but just wanted to get a feel for the DR style and what might work.

I'd send Carrie (at Thurston Bros) an email about the Bootlegger, with pics of your Schott above attached (as a reference; Thurston used to be a Schott dealer as well, and even co-developed some jackets I believe, so they know those patterns well), and notes about what you're looking for in terms of fit.

Their process entails sending you a stock jacket first, which you can keep if you like or send back (after taking pictures in it) for her to build out which adjustments you'd need for a good fit and to place an order accordingly.

I have a Thurston order on the way myself.

MrProper

Reaction score
A good question, which I unfortunately can not answer. Maybe it's because of how the jacket falls or maybe it's because of the photos. It seems somehow too flimsy for me. I know this from previous jackets (fabric), which fit in principle, but in some places just not. And that has then destroyed the proportions. I have a denim jacket that fits, but doesn't look good, even though I had it tightened at the waist. Sleeves too wide, a tad too short, body too long, Fabric too unstable and that was it. Not every pattern suits me. And that's just how I feel about this jacket.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some background on this suggestion for anyone who might accidentally heed it:

Understatesman said:
Try the 613UST model. It's slim and tall.

The UST (T for 'tall'– in the Japanese market), while certainly (overly) slim, is not 'tall' by any stretch of the imagination. The largest size (a 42, which is only 41 inches around) has the back length of the equivalent jacket in the US… in size 32. The chest matches that of Schott's slimmest fashion cross zip… in XS.

You could literally not even get it around your body if your measurements matched the tagged size, and even if you sized 'up' you would have trouble moving.

They make the same pattern type, without ridiculous size grading, in the US as the 613S/613SH/519.

However, this is not at all the type of jacket Lux is looking for, besides the brand name. I'm just putting this information out there as a warning for someone about to take the above advice.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some background on this suggestion for anyone who might accidentally heed it:

The UST (T for 'tall'– in the Japanese market), while certainly (overly) slim, is not 'tall' by any stretch of the imagination. The largest size (a 42, which is only 41 inches around) has the back length of the equivalent jacket in the US… in size 32. The chest matches that of Schott's slimmest fashion cross zip… in XS.

You could literally not even get it around your body if your measurements matched the tagged size, and even if you sized 'up' you would have trouble moving.

They make the same pattern type, without ridiculous size grading, in the US as the 613S/613SH/519.

However, this is not at all the type of jacket Lux is looking for, besides the brand name. I'm just putting this information out there as a warning for someone about to take the above advice.

These two Schotts I got (a Neighborhood x Schott DR in size 38, and a Schott x Journal Standard in size 40) are Japanese 613 models, but tweaked to remove the epaulets, belt, change the lining, or some other minor cosmetic changes. Surely they are Japanese sized. So the 613UST would have these dimensions only with a longer body.

And yes, I could zip up the size 40. But I know I need a size 42.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 3.56.59 PM.png

Also, direct from Schott: The 519 has a back length of 27", the 613S is 25".

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics