• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leiker

Reaction score
I only wear armored jackets on my tricycle in case I go into a controlled slide on my piglet.
tricycle.jpg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're already wearing fashion leathers to roll around in bed, why wouldn't we want a heavy leather for bicycles?

In fairness that's one case where we can't really blame @Understatesman. Some makers try to go so over the top in stitch count, to impress a certain clientele, that it actually compromises the structural integrity of the seam. Several repair shops have had to fix busted seams/sleeves on super-high stitch count jackets; in some cases the seam is too compromised to fix. Really unfortunate. (Reminds me of the fad on here about 15 years ago for these extremely fine suiting fabrics, that were of course actually quite fragile and counterproductive. IIRC the guy who really pushed that split off and made his own site with a bunch of other people.)

Last edited:

kevenmee

Reaction score
In fairness that's one case where we can't really blame @Understatesman. Some makers try to go so over the top in stitch count, to impress a certain clientele, that it actually compromises the structural integrity of the seam. Several repair shops have had to fix busted seams/sleeves on super-high stitch count jackets; in some cases the seam is too compromised to fix. Really unfortunate. (Reminds me of the fad on here about 15 years ago for these extremely fine suiting fabrics, that were of course actually quite fragile and counterproductive. IIRC the guy who really pushed that split off and made his own site with a bunch of other people.)

Okay in fairness, this was not an earnest post. I'm totally just here to shitpost and beat a dead horse.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay in fairness, this was not an earnest post. I'm totally just here to shitpost and beat a dead horse.

I know, haha. I’ve just discovered a lot more examples of that phenomenon since. I too had assumed it was just another case of downsizing 6 inches.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only wear armored jackets on my tricycle in case I go into a controlled slide on my piglet.

see this is why I respect you man, keep that fashion Jawnz on at all times

What’s the site?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the site?

It was like a decade ago; I'd have to think about it. Might have been FNB, might have been someone else.

Actually I think it was FNB; he used to rant about those of us who wore heavier fabrics, claiming we didn't understand the reality of suit wearing, or were lying about our comfort levels.

LuxLemon

Reaction score
another leather jacket attempt - schott lightweight - thoughts on the fit? Feels a bit like the armpit is cut too low

3CA511E9-74A3-495C-9D81-DC1935B0DA68.jpeg 995C3A67-5456-42D9-9CB5-8E3DC36F49C8.jpeg AC73CE05-E747-4216-B148-9AA0B3AC9DFE.jpeg 38C8C9E6-2B8C-4994-8D42-C2986E1E348A.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads