• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating a future Aero Aeromarine via Thurston build and am trying to choose between brown CXL FQHH and Tobacco Badalassi Carlo with a navy blue harris tweed wool lining.

Anyone have any experience with a similar choice or have any input on how the leathers age? I've read that CXL FQHH loses its topcoat quickly and can scratch easily.
I had a cafe racer in CXL and found it to be too heavy for day to day use. I'd love to own one that someone else broke in over many years but I couldn't wear it comfortably brand new. Maybe if it were a different cut like a highwayman with lots of room it could be different but a close fitting, short jacket was rough in that leather for me.

I still have a board racer which is also a close fit but in Vicenza leather. Very comfortable even without shoulder gussets.

I've never tried the Badalassi but it gets rave reviews.

The CXL FQHH is pretty much boot leather that Aero makes jackets out of.

Well said, sounds about right to me. CXL is amazing stuff but unless you ride and need the protection or like that heavy, armor like feel to the leather, there are other choices that look and age just as nicely but offer a bit more comfort.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating a future Aero Aeromarine via Thurston build and am trying to choose between brown CXL FQHH and Tobacco Badalassi Carlo with a navy blue harris tweed wool lining.

Anyone have any experience with a similar choice or have any input on how the leathers age? I've read that CXL FQHH loses its topcoat quickly and can scratch easily.

I like chromexel a lot, but mostly as a boot leather. I just don't think I'd get a jacket from pull up leather. In your situation I'd 100% choose the Badalassi cowhide.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keeping in spirit with the title of this thread, but also doing some research here… I’m considering purchasing a sheepskin shearling “peacoat” in the next year, either Valstar (if the company makes it available again) or Cromford. Anyone with experience with leather shearling jackets from both companies who care to share their thoughts? Thanks!

Valstar Nappa Shearling Peacoat.jpeg

Cromford Shearling Peacoat_front close.jpg

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My problem with buying jackets in general is that I am 5'7.5" and the jackets are all too long in the body and sleeves when I pick the jacket that fits my shoulder width. It is not like I have unproportionally wide shoulders.

Have you looked into The Flat Head? Their jackets tend to have wider than normal shoulders on normalish body lengths. Sized right, that might end up feeling like a shorter body length on you.

bcEGAep.jpg

CWV

Reaction score
Sorry, just found this guide. It's going to be much closer to how five star measures their jackets. The viapiana is very specific for that brand's custom work. Apologies if their caused you any issues!!
Which is the new guide? I don’t see it. Sorry.

EdAno

Reaction score
Have you looked into The Flat Head? Their jackets tend to have wider than normal shoulders on normalish body lengths. Sized right, that might end up feeling like a shorter body length on you.

View attachment 1692415
I only see this jacket on their website.
the dimensions look like it will fit me well.
Size 36 is sold out.

F632FC32-A272-4FB8-B690-4CFFEF021F8D.png

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reactions: CWV

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew a bloke with a flat head. Serious condition. When he went for a wee it’d come out like a watering can. Called him Tom Good.
I love it...
When I read your posts, it's that just inhaled a helium balloon Beckham voice that I hear in my head.

DavidBeckham

Reaction score
I love it...
When I read your posts, it's that just inhaled a helium balloon Beckham voice that I hear in my head.

Weren’t helium - while in junior league a right wanker booted me in the bollocks.

He went on to form a band called Oasis with his brother.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gonna be honest, it looks ok but not great. I have no doubt 5 Star provide good value for the price, but the majority of what I'm seeing by them does not make me want to get a jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads