• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EdAno

Reaction score
My problem with buying jackets in general is that I am 5'7.5" and the jackets are all too long in the body and sleeves when I pick the jacket that fits my shoulder width. It is not like I have unproportionally wide shoulders.
I always have to take my blazers to a tailor and get them shortened. However, with leather jackets, it is not an easy task...
I have one being custom made but while waiting for it, I got anxious and ordered this 641 from Schott.
I hope the sleeves and body are not too long... Ordered a size 34. To be honest, I don't expect it to fit me. lol. I hope it does but I wouldn't bet on it.

641BLKFRONTDSC_03551.jpeg

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thedi has some of the coolest, off-the-wall designs I've seen on the market. This one is my current favorite:

View attachment 1692038
View attachment 1692040
This whole outfit is badass.

Pursuant to the interests of some on this thread, my friend Ren started a blog concerning his musings about clothes. His first post is about the new Real McCoys J-24:

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My problem with buying jackets in general is that I am 5'7.5" and the jackets are all too long in the body and sleeves when I pick the jacket that fits my shoulder width. It is not like I have unproportionally wide shoulders.
I always have to take my blazers to a tailor and get them shortened. However, with leather jackets, it is not an easy task...
I have one being custom made but while waiting for it, I got anxious and ordered this 641 from Schott.
I hope the sleeves and body are not too long... Ordered a size 34. To be honest, I don't expect it to fit me. lol. I hope it does but I wouldn't bet on it.

View attachment 1692185

Custom isn't necessarily expensive. Custom Vanson, for instance, probably costs as much as Schott retail, and if you go through a retailer of Vanson like Thurston you can try on a stock size for body size reference before they make the height adjustments.

isculpt

Reaction score

View attachment 1692185
I feel your pain, I have a 46/47inch chest at 5'8. Personally for me, Schott is bad for buying the appropriate width to sleeve length. They tend to make their sleeves on the longer end. Depending on your budget, I'd look into Japanese brands since they size shorter on the sleeves usually.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
I'm contemplating a future Aero Aeromarine via Thurston build and am trying to choose between brown CXL FQHH and Tobacco Badalassi Carlo with a navy blue harris tweed wool lining.

Anyone have any experience with a similar choice or have any input on how the leathers age? I've read that CXL FQHH loses its topcoat quickly and can scratch easily.

Last edited:

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Aero Long Half Belt in Brown CXL FQHH and an Aero Tobacco Badalassi J-!00 Cafe Racer. I like the CXL FQHH quite a bit, but the Badalassi is just so much nicer. The grain, the way it drapes, the way the hide rolls on the sleeves. The CXL FQHH is pretty nice on the Long Half Belt as it is designed to fit a little looser. I've had it for years and it still isn't close to being broken in. The CXL FQHH is pretty much boot leather that Aero makes jackets out of. IMO - if you are going to buy a shorter jacket that fits a little closer, buy the Badalassi. It's plenty heavy, but just "fits" much nicer from the start. It is a little squeaky until it gets broken in.

I haven't noticed the CXL FQHH losing it's topcoat, but it does scratch/mark pretty easily - however you can pretty much "rub" out any scratch/mark fairly easily.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating a future Aero Aeromarine via Thurston build and am trying to choose between brown CXL FQHH and Tobacco Badalassi Carlo with a navy blue harris tweed wool.

Anyone have any experience with a similar choice or have any input on how the leathers age? I've read that CXL FQHH loses its topcoat quickly and can scratch easily.

If you want the pull-up effect of CXL in a lighter leather, try the new Kelpie horsehide.

That said, it seems like something you don’t want, so I’d say it’s hard to go wrong with Badalassi (Aero’s version is particularly nice). Russet Vicenza also merits consideration.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry, just found this guide. It's going to be much closer to how five star measures their jackets. The viapiana is very specific for that brand's custom work. Apologies if their caused you any issues!!

Reactions: CWV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads