• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There will always be a special place in my heart for Schott. The gateway drug to nice outerwear

Or the other way around in some cases. I already owned English bespoke, Rubinacci coats, Japanese repros, etc before getting my Schott last week. And while I still like all of those things, the Perfecto doesn’t actually feel like a compromise in any way. The pattern work (the most important thing, in my view) is excellent, the hide is both beautiful and resilient, the stitching is bulletproof, etc.

js0930

Reaction score
@JibranK looks great.

I've been endlessly searching old schott's and vanson's at ebay, mostly cafe racers and collared single riders (like the Vanson Enfield, Oxford). Just picked up an inexpensive 60's-70's Brooks cafe racer via ebay. I figure for $100 it's worth a shot even if I end up with a catch & release.

I got a Vanson off The Fedora Lounge for $300 like 6 months ago. Fits like a dream, hardly worn. Definitely a lot of bang for your buck.

kevenmee

Reaction score
Spiraling down this leather rabbit hole, and hasn't been good nor productive for me :(. Anybody know if anybody does a Moto in black teacore? Know FG can make one, but was hoping to try it on before purchasing.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spiraling down this leather rabbit hole, and hasn't been good nor productive for me :(. Anybody know if anybody does a Moto in black teacore? Know FG can make one, but was hoping to try it on before purchasing.
Is you are still losing weight you should probably not buy any leathers until you’re sure you’re at your final size. Of course we all go up and down but I’d e cautious.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of companies do motos in black tea core. OTR you have RMC, Fine Creek, Lewis Leathers (sheep), basically any other company that uses black shinki.

MTM you have Himel and Field (both shinki), and Aero (vicenza). You could try an aero on through Thurston. There are probably more that I’m forgetting.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or the other way around in some cases. I already owned English bespoke, Rubinacci coats, Japanese repros, etc before getting my Schott last week. And while I still like all of those things, the Perfecto doesn’t actually feel like a compromise in any way. The pattern work (the most important thing, in my view) is excellent, the hide is both beautiful and resilient, the stitching is bulletproof, etc.
I fully agree with you that the pattern is the most important thing. Construction/material a close second for me.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"teacore" is just a marketing term for leather that's pigment finished with a darker color, which– upon scratching and wear– reveals the underlying color. Falcon certainly wouldn't be my go-to for that (still reeks of the ToJ dumpster fire, I think.)

"Tea core" leathers include (all) black Chromexcel (both steer and horse), Aero's 'blackened brown Vicenza' and Kelpie leathers, among others.

How much are you looking to spend?

Lots of companies do motos in black tea core. OTR you have RMC, Fine Creek, Lewis Leathers (sheep), basically any other company that uses black shinki.

MTM you have Himel and Field (both shinki), and Aero (vicenza). You could try an aero on through Thurston. There are probably more that I’m forgetting.

Just wanted to note that not all shinki has a brown core. Much of it is dyed-through, so someone looking for a brown fade might buy an expensive black jacket and be very surprised.

And for Lewis it's their "veg-tanned cowhide" that's brown core. But great list of vendors!

I'd also add Schott's Chromexcel Perfecto (P613S) is another option that's much more easily bought and returned than the other jackets we've been talking about.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t get enough of 5 zip :)

JE tee is a bit too long but need to break in dat leather

Attachments

• 9AD7F4DA-6F64-4438-9970-65ACBB5E21F7.jpeg
    9AD7F4DA-6F64-4438-9970-65ACBB5E21F7.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

JM7

Reaction score
Also this Flat Head cafe racer in 42:

View attachment 1675267

I just do this now.
I actually bought this very jacket on The Fedora Lounge. It's amazing but it fit me too tight when zipped. I listed it for sale on this forum as well as The Fedora Lounge.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JM7

I have the version with only one chest pocket. I love it. If I didn't have it, I would've scooped yours up for sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads