• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JibranK looks great.

I've been endlessly searching old schott's and vanson's at ebay, mostly cafe racers and collared single riders (like the Vanson Enfield, Oxford). Just picked up an inexpensive 60's-70's Brooks cafe racer via ebay. I figure for $100 it's worth a shot even if I end up with a catch & release.

I found a nice Brooks on Yahoo Auctions Japan or Mercari (I shop through Buyee and highly recommend it) and paid slightly more than $100 for it. So yup, you can find good **** out there. Unfortunately I didn't quite like the fit and gave it to another member here. But for a hundred bucks, I was happy to sample it. It will make a good keeper for someone. I was surprised of the quality too.

D-A-I

Reaction score
I love my Brooks, gonna post some more pictures once I get it cleaned up and scoop out the 60-odd years of road grime :p

By the way, does anyone here have any experience shrinking jackets in the wash? While I'm really enjoying my deerskin trucker I'm noticing that it's not just the waist that's too big, but the upper arms and overall length as well. I've heard stories of people running them through the laundry cycle but I'd be hesitant to really screw it up.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my Brooks, gonna post some more pictures once I get it cleaned up and scoop out the 60-odd years of road grime :p

By the way, does anyone here have any experience shrinking jackets in the wash? While I'm really enjoying my deerskin trucker I'm noticing that it's not just the waist that's too big, but the upper arms and overall length as well. I've heard stories of people running them through the laundry cycle but I'd be hesitant to really screw it up.

I’ve never done it but a lot of jacket owners have done a full machine wash and dry to get that last bit of shrinkage.

@Understatesman I double checked and my Thurston custom Aero took 3 months from the point of the order being submitted to the jacket’s completion; that includes any delays that may have been caused by the leather shortages or by my sending in my own fabric for the lining.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FCPXbWSVEAgWfZv.jpeg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something special about those Brooks jackets, even though even then they weren't as high end as the Buco racers they succeeded.

Even today they're quite affordable brand new; I'm sure a lot of those have potential if you're able to try them on in store to get the right fit and beat some life into the hide.

It is amazing how much the original Buco models fetch. $2000 for one in good condition in a bigger size isn't uncommon. The Brooks, Bates, Kehoe, Beck, etc. are all dirt cheap in comparison.

I found a nice Brooks on Yahoo Auctions Japan or Mercari (I shop through Buyee and highly recommend it) and paid slightly more than $100 for it. So yup, you can find good **** out there. Unfortunately I didn't quite like the fit and gave it to another member here. But for a hundred bucks, I was happy to sample it. It will make a good keeper for someone. I was surprised of the quality too.

That's what I'm thinking as well. This Brooks was $110 with shipping. It was so easy to hit the "buy it now" for such a small investment.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

My biggest worry is getting one from a former smoker. That will be a deal breaker for me. I've bought a half dozen used jackets but they were all relatively modern Vanson's or Aero's and I haven't experienced a single bad odor (TFL guys go through a lot of jackets and tend to take care of them). Buying a jacket from the 70's that's as old as I am is slightly more worrying...but worth the risk.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@patrick_b I have never seen a Beck 333 on the vintagr market. If I do find one I for sure hope it’s going to be as cheap as you suggest.
My style is more the Beck 666 but they seem pretty rare too, at least compared to the Brooks & Bates versions.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new horsehide pickup with a few days’ (largely at home) break in and much to go. View attachment 1690345
The drapiness of the fit is a bit of an adjustment (I’m used to double breasted suits with a drapey or full chest, but all my casual and leather jackets are single breasted) but I definitely couldn’t have gone smaller (the yoke is absolutely dead on at my shoulder).
Wow that fits great. Jackets with belts are hard for me because I always end up helicoptering the ends around like a 3rd grader, but they look cool as hell, nice pickup

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Schott even for entry leather jackets ain’t that cheap. I only have a 316xschott Collab but I liked a lot of their jackets at the flag ship store. If anyone were to ask me that’s not into fashion what leather jacket to get I’d say get a Schott and don’t skimp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads