• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks great

you know only I and @UrbanComposition have the jacket in this thread, I wear it closed rarely but as of recent I haven't worn that jacket at all, in general riders look better open I agree, below is the Leon version and Custom versions, both closed looks good IMO, idk what else you want. I understand people always want "the" jacket with a sheen and all the cool hooplah but this jacket is spot on in what it needs to be. I like both shiny and matte jackets, truly depends on what you want but this jacket always gets positive attention.

LELB9498__99001.1594898662.jpg

D5kjMuUW4AUc61P.jpg:large

100-F_P11.25.19-SSM22703_600x.jpg
I had one. The leather is nice and unique, I think the quality is good or as good as most brands discussed here. I didn't find the fit to be what i was looking for felt a little too narrow in the chest and long in the body. I've seen bad fits on people and good ones. Just like everything else some brands and styles work better for some more than others. Looks good on you and urban for sure. I like the brand and I've bought something else from them.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I read that for some reason I thought you wrote something about the jacket being closed, my mistake.

either way I can find many ways that the jacket "worn" looks good new or beat up.

hopefully you are just trying to spark a conversation on this and not troll me

Just opening a thought up for debate is all. Nothing personal.

But I will add: On UC's you really can't see much of the jacket and on your photo it supports my claim that the body of the jacket just looks too long.

Anyway, how this thought came to me: Here I am trying a few double riders and frankly I don't even really see myself wearing a DR too often. So why am I buying/trying them?

Got a Vanson 9B in today. Aesthetically and compositionally it's the closest I'm come to a grail jacket (minus hand pockets but I'll live). The cow leather is amazing, much nicer than Schott in my opinion which can feel TOO smooth with no personality. Sleeves are slim with arm gussets in the back. Only problem is the damn waist is made for children or something at under 18" across.

IMG_7309.jpg

Bonus: Finished making my halloween costume last night.

IMG_7302.jpg

Last edited:

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a Vanson 9B in today. Aesthetically and compositionally it's the closest I'm come to a grail jacket (minus hand pockets but I'll live). The cow leather is amazing, much nicer than Schott in my opinion which can feel TOO smooth with no personality. Sleeves are slim with arm gussets in the back. Only problem is the damn waist is made for children or something at under 18" across.

If you find that you really like this design, leather, and construction, it could be worth contacting Carrie at Thurston, explaining that you have a 9B and it's spot on (let her know the size of course) except for the waist measurement and lack of hand pockets. She'll probably have you take pictures in it, then can spec you for a MTO from Vanson that just changes those two things accordingly, and then you're good to go.

gardenvariety

Reaction score
I think it’s a keeper :).

Goat MMM 5 zip from ssense, size EU 48.
I’m 166lb, 39" chest, 5’8.

I feel it will relax a bit more with use.. View attachment 1687848

Jacket fits well & looks good! It's a keeper. I don't love it with the wash of those jeans (might just be the photo so take that opinion with a grain of salt) but would look great with some black jeans and boots or sneakers.

Also chiming in on the 5zip discussion - I enjoyed seeing all the chatter in the thread about them and wore mine today for a nice imagined-community feeling. This one is a grey-green suede and is nearly 20 years old (I bothered to figure out its age from the season code on the tag a while ago and IIRC it was 2002 or 2003). I've only been the owner for a few years but I think it'll last for another decade or two no problem.

It has the looser drop-shoulder fit, chunkier MRS zips, and also has holes cut out at the armpits (not sure if the current ones do?) which is nice since it releases heat, similar to pit-zips, when it's cold.

It's also my only leather jacket and tbh feels like I don't really need any others as it covers all the bases I want a leather to cover. Classic black DRs stand out too much on me and are too edgy for my pretty quiet personality anyway, although never say never. Brown pebbled flight jackets with the shearling collars are cool but a little too americana for my taste. I love the soft look of suede though. Maybe a sand suede DR at some point...

5zip.jpg

5ziptextures.jpg

Last edited:

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket fits well & looks good! It's a keeper. I don't love it with the wash of those jeans (might just be the photo so take that opinion with a grain of salt) but would look great with some black jeans and boots or sneakers.

Also chiming in on the 5zip discussion - I enjoyed seeing all the chatter in the thread about them and wore mine today for a nice imagined-community feeling. This one is a grey-green suede and is nearly 20 years old (I bothered to figure out its age from the season code on the tag a while ago and IIRC it was 2002 or 2003). I've only been the owner for a few years but I think it'll last for another decade or two no problem.

It has the looser drop-shoulder fit, chunkier MRS zips, and also has holes cut out at the armpits (not sure if the current ones do?) which is nice since it releases heat, similar to pit-zips, when it's cold.

It's also my only leather jacket and tbh feels like I don't really need any others as it covers all the bases I want a leather to cover. Classic black DRs stand out too much on me and are too edgy for my pretty quiet personality anyway, although never say never. Brown pebbled jackets are cool but a little too americana for my taste. I love the soft look of suede though. Maybe a sand suede DR at some point...

View attachment 1687938

Thanks for the feedback and 100% agreed on the wash. It was a quick throw on between meetings lol.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just opening a thought up for debate is all. Nothing personal.

But I will add: On UC's you really can't see much of the jacket and on your photo it supports my claim that the body of the jacket just looks too long.

Anyway, how this thought came to me: Here I am trying a few double riders and frankly I don't even really see myself wearing a DR too often. So why am I buying/trying them?

View attachment 1687927

Bonus: Finished making my halloween costume last night.

View attachment 1687905

Fits too long or fits exactly how I like it. See thats an old conversation that has been in this thread, lots of folks like their jackets to fit different. I personally always prefer a longer jacket but then again I like that look due to CCP, RO so a rider that fits long just fits my taste.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you find that you really like this design, leather, and construction, it could be worth contacting Carrie at Thurston, explaining that you have a 9B and it's spot on (let her know the size of course) except for the waist measurement and lack of hand pockets. She'll probably have you take pictures in it, then can spec you for a MTO from Vanson that just changes those two things accordingly, and then you're good to go.

Thanks, I might actually do this. I want to wear it around a bit before I decide if I NEED to change things (like being able to zip it up). But so far, this is a pretty damn good contender for The Jacket I've been looking for.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I might actually do this. I want to wear it around a bit before I decide if I NEED to change things (like being able to zip it up). But so far, this is a pretty damn good contender for The Jacket I've been looking for.

Yeah, that’s why I’m saying make sure it sticks, then if it still feels right, go for it.

kevenmee

Reaction score
I think it’s a keeper :).

Goat MMM 5 zip from ssense, size EU 48.
I’m 166lb, 39" chest, 5’8.

I feel it will relax a bit more with use.. View attachment 1687848

Hard disagree, doesn't fit you at all. However, I am very generous, so I will buy it off of you so you can rid yourself of this eyesore.

Just kidding, looks great.

EdAno

Reaction score
I figured out what is wrong with my Aero Buco.
The sleeves are attached at an angle as if the hands are hanging in front of me instead of hanging naturally next to my hips.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeves are attached at an angle as if the hands are hanging in front of me instead of hanging naturally next to my hips.
I think a lot of traditional moto jackets will have the sleeve pitch made for riding in an arm forward stance. Just one of those details that doesn’t need to make it into non biking attire.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure if this is sarcasm but if not, it's a normal part of rider jacket patterns.

I actually find it very practical in day-to-day life because it means when I'm sitting and typing on SF, my arms are in a fairly comfortable position– something that stiff leather angled straight down would not lend itself to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads