• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reposting a pic from a few months back to add my two cents to the 5zip discussion.

This version is in black calf with regular lining. I think it’s from 2015-2016 or so. Compared to older versions, I believe this one is a bit slimmer overall, longer in the body and with narrower shoulders. I am 6’1, 183 lbs, 42” chest, wear 34” waist jeans and this is a size EU52.

A18A2278-EC7F-4127-9CB1-F1808A4F63A4.jpeg
848E3233-34E2-4B51-A73F-7DE5FDD66FAC.jpeg

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When one says “it’s so freaking slim” I guess I interpret that with negative connotations, so thx for clearing that up

Yeah I can see that. It's not how I meant it though.

There is an ongoing conversation regarding "proper" fit of a leather jacket, that is in large part fueled by Understateman's quest over the last several months. There isn't a single good way to fit a jacket. @MrProper likes his jacket really slim. He's also as fit as a 21 year old Instagram bikini model, but that may not be that much of a factor in his preferences. On the other side of the spectrum @JibranK seems to always suggest sizing generously, in an approach that's function-driven.

I don't actually know where I stand on that. Sometimes jackets that are a little loose look great after break in. Sometimes jackets that look comically slim produce good outfits. I'm realizing though that very slim fitting leather jackets are not for me, hence my comment where I said it looked good but it was very much not something I'd wear, out of fear of feeling vacuum packed.

As per the question "Why did I say that if it ended up creating confusion and didn' bring a lot to the table?", the answer is "because this is a message board where I spend some free time and unlike if I was writing a master's thesis, I don't necessarily think in the long term about how my posts will be interpreted before posting them".

MrProper

Reaction score
I don't actually know where I stand on that. Sometimes jackets that are a little loose look great after break in. Sometimes jackets that look comically slim produce good outfits. I'm realizing though that very slim fitting leather jackets are not for me, hence my comment where I said it looked good but it was very much not something I'd wear, out of fear of feeling vacuum packed.
I agree with that.
I also think that there is no right or wrong.
The most important thing is that you like yourself in it and feel comfortable. The rest is secondary.
And taste is simply also different and depending on type, personal preferences, society, age and culture shaped.
I think it's good that everyone can do as he wants.
My first jacket from Aero was from my current point of view much too wide and too short, but still looked quite passable.
But I sold it anyway to have space in the closet :D

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is an ongoing conversation regarding "proper" fit of a leather jacket, that is in large part fueled by Understateman's quest over the last several months. There isn't a single good way to fit a jacket. @MrProper likes his jacket really slim. He's also as fit as a 21 year old Instagram bikini model, but that may not be that much of a factor in his preferences. On the other side of the spectrum @JibranK seems to always suggest sizing generously, in an approach that's function-driven.

I actually think rider jackets work best when slim (though I do want to get a dramatic V shaped 50s style sometime with a big chest and 10” drop). My ‘size up’ advice has largely been because our friend of many jackets buys his jackets multiple sizes too small for his chest.

Great post though!

Reactions: XWT

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I can see that. It's not how I meant it though.

My approach is to eat more pancakes.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fight me.

d4d.png

No seriously, looking around I don't think I've seen one picture of this model that looks good when worn on an actual human. It looks best beat up, wrinkled to all hell and posed on a hanger in dramatic lighting. On the body it's a pretty plain, disproportionate jacket with long narrow lapels and a tube body.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reposting a pic from a few months back to add my two cents to the 5zip discussion.

This version is in black calf with regular lining. I think it’s from 2015-2016 or so. Compared to older versions, I believe this one is a bit slimmer overall, longer in the body and with narrower shoulders. I am 6’1, 183 lbs, 42” chest, wear 34” waist jeans and this is a size EU52.

View attachment 1687440 View attachment 1687441

looks great

Fight me.

View attachment 1687687

No seriously, looking around I don't think I've seen one picture of this model that looks good when worn on an actual human. It looks best beat up, wrinkled to all hell and posed on a hanger in dramatic lighting. On the body it's a pretty plain, disproportionate jacket with long narrow lapels and a tube body.

you know only I and @UrbanComposition have the jacket in this thread, I wear it closed rarely but as of recent I haven't worn that jacket at all, in general riders look better open I agree, below is the Leon version and Custom versions, both closed looks good IMO, idk what else you want. I understand people always want "the" jacket with a sheen and all the cool hooplah but this jacket is spot on in what it needs to be. I like both shiny and matte jackets, truly depends on what you want but this jacket always gets positive attention.

LELB9498__99001.1594898662.jpg

D5kjMuUW4AUc61P.jpg:large

100-F_P11.25.19-SSM22703_600x.jpg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were two vintage Buco J-100s in steerhide at the Ralph Lauren mansion on Madison, size 40 and 42. Needless to say the stitching and zips arent as nice as Real McCoy’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: XWT

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were two vintage Buco J-100s in steerhide at the Ralph Lauren mansion on Madison, size 40 and 42. Needless to say the stitching and zips arent as nice as Ream McCoy’s.

Real McCoy's -

baby-scream-fuck-yeah.gif

But I hear they aren't as good as one would assume when it comes to washed denim western shirts. :confused2:

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were two vintage Buco J-100s in steerhide at the Ralph Lauren mansion on Madison, size 40 and 42. Needless to say the stitching and zips arent as nice as Real McCoy’s.

Of course (even accounting for age). The page of William Gibson's Pattern Recognition describing JP repros holds up very well. (Funnily enough, while he was spot on, he hadn't actually handled them himself until after the book came out and he stopped into a shop in London where he bought Buzz Rickson's.)

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Why'd you just focus on the "closed" look? I said worn on a human period.

When I read that for some reason I thought you wrote something about the jacket being closed, my mistake.

either way I can find many ways that the jacket "worn" looks good new or beat up.

hopefully you are just trying to spark a conversation on this and not troll me

here one

and me
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 1.20.06 PM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads