• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, @d4nimal and Andrew from F&P look awesome.

As hard as it may be to accept - sounds like the Roberts just won't work for me. Anybody have any recommendations on brands that have a short-ish cut? Ideally would like to start with a simple moto design.

MMM 5 zip

MrProper

Reaction score

As hard as it may be to accept - sounds like the Roberts just won't work for me. Anybody have any recommendations on brands that have a short-ish cut? Ideally would like to start with a simple moto design.

Each with a classic cut. Japanese seem to be cut rather longer.
Aero, Field Leathers, Lewis Leather, Vanson, Schott, ...
I probably wouldn't buy a classic Cafe Racer from a fashion brand. The cut is often too modern for that and lambskin does not fit to a Cafe Racer.
The jacket you showed, only one or two sizes smaller could possibly fit as well.
Just my opinion.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can you explain what you mean here because the roberts is a rather "long" cut jacket so pretty much anything will be shorter.

I dont recall the size you went for but self edge (link) has a vertical length of 25.7 on a size 38, 27 on a 40. Thats a long ass jacket so anything i recommend will be shorter.

Question to determine what you want, do you want the jacket to end above your belt or below?

I'll save some time if you say below. I cannot stress enough the Iron Heart Black Battle Edition from self edge see link to jacket, i went into the store, it fit perfect, has enough room for me to maneuver, i wore it non stop for a few months and it still had its "sheen", lots of compliments too.

Each with a classic cut. Japanese seem to be cut rather longer.
Aero, Field Leathers, Lewis Leather, Vanson, Schott, ...
I probably wouldn't buy a classic Cafe Racer from a fashion brand. The cut is often too modern for that and lambskin does not fit to a Cafe Racer.
The jacket you showed, only one or two sizes smaller could possibly fit as well.
Just my opinion.

+1 to Schott, you can easily buy try on and return if anything.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For MMM 5 Zip what’s considered a good price?

You can sometimes find them for about $1k if you're willing to take a less popular color. For something like black, I think it's more $1.5k on ebay and $2k if you buy new but on sale.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Schott 641XX

download.jpg

Schott 141

141SC__61775.1506360274.jpg

Vanson 9B

s-l400.jpg

Vanson Portland

download-1.jpg

Fine Creek Leathers Raymond

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 8.01.08 PM.png

m0butt

Reaction score
Sizing wise for those who’ve had the 5 zip, do they find it fits TTS? I’ve got broad shoulders anyways so I usually can’t size down lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads