• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt thats the intent you can always just ask @kiya yourself and he'll clarify.

The IH version of the jacket is cut "classic" so a bit more boxy. The SE version was adjusted to fit slimmer and more modern. Think of IH version for TFL guys and IHxSE for SF guys. The length is the same on both jackets btw.

One of the main reason i liked this jacket is that it fell right below my belt bucket but was also slim, i hate short jackets in general.

I’m not dunking on SE or IH or anything. Ultimately there is a trend within our particular clothes subculture for people to force themselves into things that don‘t fit because it checks off some particular box. Remember the advice to downsize eight sizes in raw denim a decade ago? Or our friend Understatesman having a 40 inch chest but insisting on wearing slim Japanese 38s?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m not dunking on SE or IH or anything. Ultimately there is a trend within our particular clothes subculture for people to force themselves into things that don‘t fit because it checks off some particular box. Remember the advice to downsize eight sizes in raw denim a decade ago? Or our friend Understatesman having a 40 inch chest but insisting on wearing slim Japanese 38s?

I didnt think you were knocking anything. Rather I am confused about your point to Understatesman which is related to Japanese folks wearing leather jackets long? Correct me with what you mean because I am confused.

In general there is a trend for loose/drapy riders that has been happening for a bit now.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather I am confused about your point to Understatesman which is related to Japanese folks wearing leather jackets long? Correct me with what you mean because I am confused.

Ah, I was saying 25.5" would only be considered a 'long' jacket in the Japanese market.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I was saying 25.5" would only be considered a 'long' jacket in the Japanese market.

And you were saying Japanese bodies are strange in the sense that normal chest zips on jackets made by them appear "high" on non-Japanese bodies. Which is fuckin' weird, but ok.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out my collection of descending chest zips (l-r: IH, Real McCoys, Schott). IH definitely wear high.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.24.22 PM.png

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And you were saying Japanese bodies are strange in the sense that normal chest zips on jackets made by them appear "high" on non-Japanese bodies. Which is fuckin' weird, but ok.

I said on a short person, which by and large is the case there, that zip would appear lower than it does or someone of average American height. I don’t even have an issue with where it falls there but I think that’s why it seems higher.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I said on a short person, which by and large is the case there, that zip would appear lower than it does or someone of average American height. I don’t even have an issue with where it falls there but I think that’s why it seems higher.

Nitpicking but just so people understand; if the patterns for each size are properly calibrated AND japanese people of the same size as americans tend to have the same chest proportions that wouldn't be the case (i.e. Japanese people might not be shorter on average AT THE SAME WEIGHT/size, they might just tend to be both shorter and smaller). I have no idea if any of those things are true but basically you prepare for your market and you make sure that each xxs-xxl sizing works properly (not magical though won't fit everyone). You'll often see brands **** this up and have sizing at the extreme but all off.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only one I'm not fond of is the Real McCoy because the zip dangle things are at the exact height and location of your nipples. Reminds me of the Batman Forever batsuit.

Also scarred for life with that one

Nitpicking but just so people understand; if the patterns for each size are properly calibrated AND japanese people of the same size as americans tend to have the same chest proportions that wouldn't be the case (i.e. Japanese people might not be shorter on average AT THE SAME WEIGHT/size, they might just tend to be both shorter and smaller). I have no idea if any of those things are true but basically you prepare for your market and you make sure that each xxs-xxl sizing works properly (not magical though won't fit everyone). You'll often see brands **** this up and have sizing at the extreme but all off.

Funny story, I bought a Uniqlo thermal via eBay before they had stores in the USA and its a a size medium.

Recently I bought some more Uniqlo thermals in USA, size XS and S, guess what the XS (which really should be a regular size S in the USA but vanity sizing sigh) lined up perfectly with a size M from Japan. Anyways I wanted a tighter fit and the thermal stretches so its fine but regardless I find that funny.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently I bought some more Uniqlo thermals in USA, size XS and S, guess what the XS (which really should be a regular size S in the USA but vanity sizing sigh) lined up perfectly with a size M from Japan. Anyways I wanted a tighter fit and the thermal stretches so its fine but regardless I find that funny.

I think the worst version of this phenomenon is Japanese companies arbitrarily deciding that alpha sizes have a set numerical size meaning. (So, to simplify, they think say 42 = XL, therefore XL = 42 or whatever, forgetting or not realizing that that number is actually based on the wearer's chest measurement.) Thus I have two tees from Studio D'Artisan that measure a straight 20" across the chest– the tagged size? "XXL 42-44"

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the worst version of this phenomenon is Japanese companies arbitrarily deciding that alpha sizes have a set numerical size meaning. (So, to simplify, they think say 42 = XL, therefore XL = 42 or whatever, forgetting or not realizing that that number is actually based on the wearer's chest measurement.) Thus I have two tees from Studio D'Artisan that measure a straight 20" across the chest– the tagged size? "XXL 42-44"

:facepalm:

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mind you, I checked the measurements and knew which one I needed to order for my 40" chest– but if I had done like some of our friends here, I would have ordered the "40" anyway, posted a fit pic, insisted I'm a 40, then put the tee up for sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads