• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to get mine in deerhide, even picked up these special five star buttons to go with it
View attachment 1674703

Does Shawn have a selection of these? I really dislike the current buttons I have that are all loosey goosey

D-A-I

Reaction score
Does Shawn have a selection of these? I really dislike the current buttons I have that are all loosey goosey
I bought mine (plus the tool to apply them) from a Japanese seller on Etsy, Citron Jeans. I read the horror stories about Shawn's buttons and put in very specific instructions to not include them on my jacket.

D-A-I

Reaction score
I got some of those that I added to high waisted jeans as suspender buttons.

Is it really as easy as "place tool on button, smack with hammer"? I can't seem to find any instructions online.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you call this style of jackets? I kind of like it, save for the belt.
30's style "sport" or motorcycle jacket, specifically from brands calling this a "California" style.

The belt makes it a bit of a half-belt, which was a Sears Roebuck make under the name Hercules, although there were others. I think "Californian" was another brand, possibly made for Sears as well. The Freewheelers Mulholland is based on a Trojan Leathers jacket.

Looks like they were made well past the 30s.

30s
D1DD7DF4-DF20-484B-BC0A-5FCF0C679226.jpeg
21127FDF-FC46-49FA-8FB9-4053900D30D1.jpeg

40s
595E9337-926A-4D38-A407-7A2AA4BCE66D.jpeg

50s
601560AD-7952-4697-AB4E-2AD639A7E372.jpeg

The Mariana is closest to that 40s one.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is it the general consensus of the board that the James Grose suede shearling is indeed cooler than the nappa shearling? I'm rethinking an order I wanna place.

And I should size up all the way to 44, huh? Remember, this is me in a 40. I agree I should size up, but by how many is tbd.

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 9.07.59 PM.png

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
So is it the general consensus of the board that the James Grose suede shearling is indeed cooler than the nappa shearling? I'm rethinking an order I wanna place.

And I should size up all the way to 44, huh? Remember, this is me in a 40. I agree I should size up, but by how many is tbd.

View attachment 1674751

It really depends on what you're planning to wear. I have no idea how people seem to layer hoodies and knitwear under shearling leather jackets. Anything more than a tee seems like absolute hell to me.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what you're planning to wear. I have no idea how people seem to layer hoodies and knitwear under shearling leather jackets. Anything more than a tee seems like absolute hell to me.

I mean I get it in the context of the Arctic where the fur coat is the outer layer… but yeah that’s not most of us.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything more than a tee seems like absolute hell to me.
I live in Canada. Not close to the border but not in the actual (mostly inoccupied) North either. 48th parallel.

A shearling and a tee will be enough until December but in the coldest months of our 6-month-long winter you’re gonna want that knit. Probably more.

I realize that’s the exception and not the rule.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads