• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I use the term cowhide, this is what I mean

5fac8c3d01e4f1201dc86c9b21cb9017.jpeg
hiding-cow-sarah-allegra.jpeg
ko-bakom-träd-arkiv-en-gömmer-sig-ett-foto-lasse-pettersson-scanpix-kod-134413207.jpeg

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
James Grose Shearlings (nappa and suede) in stock here, folks. Even the bigger sizes. Come one, come all.

And now in dark brown/natural shearling:

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really do not like the styling I have seen for James Grose, namely

I think they’re just trying to give off a different vibe than the repro leather crowd in Japan, more English high end fashion. They feel more like Burberry ads to me. That said, I really don’t care for the shearling double rider at all.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they’re just trying to give off a different vibe than the repro leather crowd in Japan, more English high end fashion. They feel more like Burberry ads to me. That said, I really don’t care for the shearling double rider at all.

That seems like an accurate description.

And yea – meh on the shearling DR. Now if it were a J-24 style or similar with the same mouton as the collar used as insulation, that would be cool. I would never wear it, but it would be cool.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are cowhide. If they apply a finish, they label it 'steerhide', if they don't, they label it 'naked cowhide'. The latter (largely in the 100-series jackets) shows more immediate grain and wear, whereas the former is better at keeping off the elements (which is why it's favored by those who use their Schotts for actual motorcycling). The finished hide, once broken in, looks amazing but it'll take a lot of hard wear to get there.

There's also the PER70 which uses a pigment-finished veg-tan cowhide that's lightly distressed (the one they show on their website is much more distressed than the real thing) with a "tea core" effect. That one is sort of a slim/vintage cut version of the 618.

is that schott knowledge specifically ? they've been distinguishing on their jackets since the 60s afaik .

here's some hide disco but i'm not quite sure how that maps with schott's marketing :

The majority of what we run here is cowhide. When I say cowhide, it almost always means steerhide for us, since we're typically buying the heaviest (thickest) hides that are available. There are a number of distinctions you can make when purchasing bovine hides in their perishable state:

- Steerhide - most of the cattle raised for foodstuffs are steers. Bulls are made into steers for ranching.

- Bullhide - these tend to be larger and heavier hides, with heavily wrinkled shoulders.

- Cowhide - these hides are lighter in weight and have "looser" bellies (that is, a more spongy fiber structure that has more stretch). These hides tend to have more natural markings to them (healed scratches, bug bites, etc.) since cows live longer than their steer counterparts.

- Heifer - this is a cow that hasn't produced any calves, thus the bellies of the hide tend to be heavier than on a cow that has had offspring.

?‍♀️

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That seems like an accurate description.

And yea – meh on the shearling DR. Now if it were a J-24 style or similar with the same mouton as the collar used as insulation, that would be cool. I would never wear it, but it would be cool.
Really, this is the only fuzzy DR I am down with, and maybe the only guy I know of with the tank to match the drip @KamoteJoe

CWV

Reaction score
Looking at the product shots and cut of the jacket, you're right. No slant chest pocket, handwarmers don't have chain zips, no side tabs.

The Mariana is closer to the Mulholland, but is more of a half-belt style with gussets across the back. Also that slanted chest pocket is not attractive, similar to the RMC Howard.

View attachment 1674357
View attachment 1674358

How do you call this style of jackets? I kind of like it, save for the belt.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you call this style of jackets? I kind of like it, save for the belt.

30's style "sport" or motorcycle jacket, specifically from brands calling this a "California" style.

The belt makes it a bit of a half-belt, which was a Sears Roebuck make under the name Hercules, although there were others. I think "Californian" was another brand, possibly made for Sears as well. The Freewheelers Mulholland is based on a Trojan Leathers jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads