• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's really the Mobster with zip cuffs and no belt loops. Given you weren't in love with the Mobster in the first place, I recommend you stay with the Mullholland in mind.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's really the Mobster with zip cuffs and no belt loops. Given you weren't in love with the Mobster in the first place, I recommend you stay with the Mullholland in mind.

Looking at the product shots and cut of the jacket, you're right. No slant chest pocket, handwarmers don't have chain zips, no side tabs.

The Mariana is closer to the Mulholland, but is more of a half-belt style with gussets across the back. Also that slanted chest pocket is not attractive, similar to the RMC Howard.

1632490074484.png

1632490087915.png

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eastman has a California style:

1632491235693.png

Any experience with this?

Edit: S&S has stocked them and has some notes: https://standardandstrange.com/products/californian-jacket-havana-leather

Last edited:

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1674367

Edit: S&S has stocked them and has some notes: https://standardandstrange.com/products/californian-jacket-havana-leather

My experience has been that for any items HPA stocks, their products/fit notes are the most helpful. Here’s their Californian guide.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just discovered this model while flipping through the Lightning Archives books of leather jackets, but here’s a deadstock Real McCoy’s Buco J-71. Note it’s a size 38, however:

Beautiful jacket. I think it’s my favorite somewhat minimal DR. For those of other sizes, I believe Aero used to keep a J-71 as a stock item under the name J-107 (probably still available if you ask), and Lost Worlds might make one as well.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1674367

I had the ELMC Californian in the dark brown. I love the collar shape, leather was really nice, mid-weight, showed creases easily and was comfortable. My only nitpick was that that the handwarmers seem a bit high but it never bothered me while wearing it, only in pictures. I'd happily own another one in a size down if the price was right but would likely go for the black this time around.

Pics from a couple of years ago:

ELMC Californian in Walnut, Italian midweight HH. My only gripe is the unusually high hand warmer pocket placement. Not end of the world gripe.

Purchased pre-owned with little wear. Leather shows age quickly (which I like).

View attachment 1097572

View attachment 1097573

View attachment 1097574

View attachment 1097575

View attachment 1097576

View attachment 1097577

View attachment 1097578

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goodwear Hercules in 44 lasted just a few hours at TFL. I hovered over that one for a bit. If it was shinki, I'd likely have bought it. Now I'm considering an FCL Eric or RMC J100 in a size down from mine.

Edited to add:

I blame you people.

Last edited:

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, a jacket that fits just right, granted I haven't broken it in yet. Schott X A Bathing Ape cafe racer in cowhide. If only it was in black. Might get someone to lob off the wind flap for me.

IMG_7115.jpg

And yes, I bought two. That's why you'll see one pop up in the markets soon. I'm keeping the newer one.

IMG_7116.jpg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, a jacket that fits just right, granted I haven't broken it in yet. Schott X A Bathing Ape cafe racer in cowhide. If only it was in black. Might get someone to lob off the wind flap for me.

View attachment 1674466

I think it's a cool look, so long as you keep it open all the time. I'd keep the windflap. It adds something, sort of echoing the cafe racer collar on the other side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads