• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are good :

Mister Freedom himself, bonus pic hard at work
Denimbitch
VEB, also take 2
Denimhound
Freewheelin Sasaki
AVS he sized way down and broke his in super fast

Those are super cool. But I feel like they're too retro for my tastes.

Then again, I think this Blackmeans mouton hat is super sweet. Wonder how you pair something like this...

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 1.39.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 1.39.07 PM.png

VegasRebel

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Independence Brothers? They're offering (purportedly) full grain mtm semi-custom leather jackets for very reasonable prices, but there don't seem to be a whole lot of reviews and they haven't been explicitly mentioned here as best I can tell. Thanks!

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Independence Brothers? They're offering (purportedly) full grain mtm semi-custom leather jackets for very reasonable prices, but there don't seem to be a whole lot of reviews and they haven't been explicitly mentioned here as best I can tell. Thanks!

I just looked at their site and it's throwing up red flags for me. It reminds me of those online MTM shirt operations, and none of the designs strikes me as particularly notable.

I'd rather pay $50 more for a Vanson or get a Five Star.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I'm reading through their site and seeing all the podcast brand highlights, "Scott spent years refining his fashion taste until he realized one day that he wanted a leather jacket.… He decided to bypass the middle-man… Scott realized that no manufacturer could do what he asked for."

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The example outfit doesn't really give me a sense of "years [spent] refining his fashion taste", but what do you guys think?
Headshots_together_b49f2d8b-63de-403e-bdfc-5616364f4117_1800x.jpg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL looks like Wilson's leather trying to be cool

also "Dave navarro" blazer makes me want to buy it less #cringe

Wilson and Costco and the like at least I can respect for not pretending to be something.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
I bought an Independence Bros. messenger bags back in 2019. It took way longer than the estimated time with a 6- 8 week estimate taking 4 months total.

One week into using it, it slipped out of my hands and I caught it by the shoulder strap which resulted in one of the strap rings completely ripping from the bag. Looking inside the rip, the leather was really thin and backed by some kind of equally thin styrofoam-like material.

I contacted them and they said they'd reimburse me the cost of getting it fixed by my local leather-worker but I didn't bother at that point.

Maybe they've improved since and/or their jackets are better made though.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conversation seems to have moved on but I have several unlined leather garments (one jacket, two that are more overshirts) and haven't had any problems with them. But, they're all very soft leather and two of them are pretty thin, too.

Reactions: XWT

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wilson and Costco and the like at least I can respect for not pretending to be something.

Its odd if you want a simple leather jacket thats decent quality with no odd designs or labels you have to pay more money for it. Its like pay more for less.

Reactions: XWT

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought an Independence Bros. messenger bags back in 2019. It took way longer than the estimated time with a 6- 8 week estimate taking 4 months total.

One week into using it, it slipped out of my hands and I caught it by the shoulder strap which resulted in one of the strap rings completely ripping from the bag. Looking inside the rip, the leather was really thin and backed by some kind of equally thin styrofoam-like material.

I contacted them and they said they'd reimburse me the cost of getting it fixed by my local leather-worker but I didn't bother at that point.

Maybe they've improved since and/or their jackets are better made though.

:eek:

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They look like they are exactly as advertised.

As an aside, "full grain" doesn't mean much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics