• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, "standard" isn't an insult. There are a lot of jackets where I prefer 'standard' leather options to the 'special' ones (Schott's normal horsehide vs their Chromexcel and Shinki models, for example). "Fashion" wasn't a pejorative either.

The emphasis there was on ordering "from Japan" and taking on the gamble that entails when you can find comparable jackets without said gamble. Even as the 613US/UH that I mentioned goes, I said earlier in that they basically started making that on the US side of things as the 613S/SH, making the re-import many used to do a few years ago unnecessary.

You mean the 613S which I've already bought and tried and posted about every time I update the little matrix graphic I made showing all the jackets and their measurements?

You mean that one? Because it fit like ass, very short body with narrow shoulders that were tight on me.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 7.52.24 PM.png

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
what are our thoughts on natural shade rider jackets? Anyone have any good recommendations? Thoughts on these?

2BAF26E8-E465-41F9-A157-B41F35335E62.jpeg

49E12C31-C197-4855-9249-05D4CDA7CA08.jpeg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean the 613S which I've already bought and tried and posted about every time I update the little matrix graphic I made showing all the jackets and their measurements?

You mean that one? Because it fit like ass, very short body with narrow shoulders that were tight on me.

View attachment 1649325
I’m not hyping the S either, just saying that it’s the non-JDM version of the US (except that the US is shorter, including in its ‘tall’ UST form, and has a slightly more octagonal buckle).

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are our thoughts on natural shade rider jackets? Anyone have any good recommendations? Thoughts on these?

View attachment 1649324
View attachment 1649326
I think the ‘natural’ leather trend can be misleading because a lot of people who get them think patina only happens on undyed leather. Still, there are appealing ‘natural’ jackets (I’d personally just get a russet jacket, since that’s where it’ll end up soon) from various makes. I saw a particularly nice MTO one on a forum that I’ll have to dig up to link you.

stevenkmason

Reaction score

View attachment 1649324
View attachment 1649326

That first one is really excellent. You have to wear them hard to get past the flesh stage. Epaulet has run unfinished horsehide with Aero. And I got a sample of natural horsehide from Simmons Bilt after seeing the Vanishing Point that Standard & Strange did. Considering a natural horsehide DR eventually.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that’s complete sex.

mto might be the move for my narrow ass shoulders.

Usually when I see people mix designs for an MTO, my immediate impression is that they'd have been better off sticking with the one, but everything about this jacket just works so well. You could probably just request that combination if you liked it.

CWV

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
im not versed in leather jackets so I wanted to ask for some help.
last time I was inBuenos Aires I had a jacket made. It was a reversible on goat leather and suade j the other side. Very lightweight. It was really nice lesther (not a good craftsmanship) until I sent it to a supposed specialized cleaner who assured me they could take care of it. They couldn’t and ruined the goat grain. At least I left with the suede side who h is really soft.
I’m thinking that maybe now is time to replace what I lost

ive read some of this thread and have seen some brands appear often, but I was wondering, which brands would you recommend for quality and value (quiality vs price, considering diminishing returns)?
im interested in something on the cleaner side of style, without zippers or many adornments. I also prefers a leather that is not too shiny without going all the way to suede. .

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive read some of this thread and have seen some brands appear often, but I was wondering, which brands would you recommend for quality and value (quiality vs price, considering diminishing returns)?
im interested in something on the cleaner side of style, without zippers or many adornments. I also prefers a leather that is not too shiny without going all the way to suede. .

There's a new knockout player in the value for money bracket; FiveStar leather out of Asia. Their site and shop photography don't accurately show how nice their leathers and construction are, but the owner kept consulting with enthusiast websites to tweak his patterns (including buying vintage originals), and he's really put together some great stuff. I bought one of his jackets as a gift for someone, and I was really impressed.

I'd recommend looking up some of the buyer photos to get an idea of what they can do; they'll also go full custom if you want. Would something like this, perhaps minus the contrast stitching, suit your idea?
174276672_745876362954619_6851051507729967253_n.jpg

Their leather is not especially shiny. I'd recommend the goatskin for your needs.

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
Usually when I see people mix designs for an MTO, my immediate impression is that they'd have been better off sticking with the one, but everything about this jacket just works so well. You could probably just request that combination if you liked it.

nice ya i agree on mtos.

i love the jacket as it is but i think cooler-toned hardware would fit in my wardrobe better.

i’ve been thinking about going to johnson leather in sf for a custom vest or jacket. i did some research a while ago and it seemed like their custom jackets were essentially as much or less expensive then the FCLs and RMCs of the world.

Can anyone share some experiences with custom pieces by johnson leather or anyone have a good recent custom leather jacket stories/recommendations on here?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, wait. I do have a recent good experience with the aforementioned FiveStar. The owner took the measurements of the person I was gifting to, took the details I requested for leathers, zipper, and trimming– then basically didn't say anything until a week later when he had the jacket ready to DHL my way.

My note there though would be to be very specific about what you want, and to look at successful orders on forums to give you a sense of what to ask for. But if you get it right, it's a phenomenal jacket at $200-300. I'm considering getting one for myself now– this repro in particular, except with lighter knits.

CWV

Reaction score
There's a new knockout player in the value for money bracket; FiveStar leather out of Asia. Their site and shop photography don't accurately show how nice their leathers and construction are, but the owner kept consulting with enthusiast websites to tweak his patterns (including buying vintage originals), and he's really put together some great stuff. I bought one of his jackets as a gift for someone, and I was really impressed.

I'd recommend looking up some of the buyer photos to get an idea of what they can do; they'll also go full custom if you want. Would something like this, perhaps minus the contrast stitching, suit your idea?
174276672_745876362954619_6851051507729967253_n.jpg

Their leather is not especially shiny. I'd recommend the goatskin for your needs.
Thx for the quick reply! That model could work. I’ll check his work out.
I would like to put my value statement in shoe terms where I’m more confiable. I know that a leather jacket could last a lifetime so I’m ok with expending on it, but I don’t think I need to go all the way to the best brand. So, I’m looking for a Crockett and Jones, TLB Artista, a Vass with good discount or something on those lines. Something better than Meermin, but I don’t think I should go for a Scafora, Gaziano and Girlimg or ACME.
I hope that makes sense lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads