• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what? Styleforum? SF isn't a social media platform. It was a conscious choice for me to be here personally and interact with folks personally.

If you guys want to keep this up and talk things out then take it to our Affiliate thread. I don't want this thread to lose its focus and I am genuinely trying to understand how to bring value to this community so please share any insights over there, if you have any. That goes for anyone.

For what it's worth, my opinion from the outside looking in at the back and forth going on here, I too felt that you guys were needlessly hard and critical on this guy. I mean, there are more constructive ways to offer feedback than resorting to "mall tier" and accusing him of using the thread to rank in Google searches. And those are just the generic critiques I remember off the top of my head. In general, the tone was very aggressive.

Oh man, so good. A new level of craziness and discussion, just when the old topic was on its way to burn out...
@dieworkwear ?

And now I've chimed in. Thus, bringing the clusterfuck to higher heights.

My great white Buffalo in life is that 3Sixteen x Schott roughout jacket in XXL. I check all the resale sites daily and went as far as having a friend who knows the 3Sixteen guys reach out to figure out where they went. We’ve both also called all the Schott stores that carried them.

Wait, so Schott stores still sell the 3sixteen roughout jacket? I've got my eyes open for a size small.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow sounds like one hell of a jacket. I was browsing through the CCP thread and saw some close-ups and have a better feel for what you're saying!. Definitely feel like I need to get my hands on one of their high neck jackets sometime in the near future and look and feel it in person.
I;m not sure that there is a stockist in Canada, but I like mine fom PNP Firenze, but they appear to be closed. They seem to have some at Lazzari: https://www.lazzariweb.it/en/carol-...d-2498-horse-leather-jacket-p-8744-15310.html t's definitely not cheap though. Or yu can probably use grailed, although people have an inflated idea of what a used jacket is worth.

No. Fok was talking about CCP's Scarstitch jacket.

As for 5-zips, my only experience is a calf from the later 2000s and a horsehide one from 2011. While I prefer the horsehide they used, the cut was slimmed down and lost that dropped shoulder trait.
Yeah, I was talking aobut he Scarstitch. The initial mention was that the 5 zip is an iconic jacket, but the pattern is relatively simple, especially compared to Carol Christian Poell wizardy.

That dropped shoulded look was more distnctive, but let's be real, in a conventional way, the newer cut is a lot more conventionally flattering for the majority of people, and that matters \

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't present Margiela pretty crap quality? I realize that doesn't change the design (unless Galliano changed the design) or the fact that it was once good. Mainly just asking because I've been intrigued by all the 5 Zip talk on StyFo but can't match it to what of MMM I have put my hands on.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, so Schott stores still sell the 3sixteen roughout jacket? I've got my eyes open for a size small.

You'll need to travel back to 2018, iirc. Make sure to eat out, kiss random people, etc... Also, ask what year it is.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my opinion from the outside looking in at the back and forth going on here, I too felt that you guys were needlessly hard and critical on this guy. I mean, there are more constructive ways to offer feedback than resorting to "mall tier" and accusing him of using the thread to rank in Google searches. And those are just the generic critiques I remember off the top of my head. In general, the tone was very aggressive.

And now I've chimed in. Thus, bringing the clusterfuck to higher heights.

Thank you for saying this. I hope the clusterfuck does not start again and if it does, keep it in the Affiliate thread but regardless I appreciate it.

Felt like I was taking crazy pills.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't present Margiela pretty crap quality? I realize that doesn't change the design (unless Galliano changed the design) or the fact that it was once good. Mainly just asking because I've been intrigued by all the 5 Zip talk on StyFo but can't match it to what of MMM I have put my hands on.
The leather quality on the jackets varies considerably. bro, just wear it with baggy jeans and some Nikes. Or if you want ot go Margiela, 70s style, with high waisted wide legged pants an a wide collar shirt. No need to overthink it. It's a pretty easy to wear leather jacket, especially in it's current cut.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I;m not sure that there is a stockist in Canada, but I like mine fom PNP Firenze, but they appear to be closed. They seem to have some at Lazzari: https://www.lazzariweb.it/en/carol-...d-2498-horse-leather-jacket-p-8744-15310.html t's definitely not cheap though. Or yu can probably use grailed, although people have an inflated idea of what a used jacket is worth.

Yeah, I was talking aobut he Scarstitch. The initial mention was that the 5 zip is an iconic jacket, but the pattern is relatively simple, especially compared to Carol Christian Poell wizardy.

That dropped shoulded look was more distnctive, but let's be real, in a conventional way, the newer cut is a lot more conventionally flattering for the majority of people, and that matters \

Thanks for the tip! I'll check out a bunch of places/websites and get a feel for what they are worth and then go from there. I'll chalk it up to a business expense so it should be okay ;)

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Galliano took some liberties to the design. It's still the big diagonal zips but he added some weird zipper pulls. Can't say how the present quality is. I know at one point production went to India. I don't know what does that mean in terms of quality but that's some cost cutting. I think the bottom hem isn't folded over anymore as well.

You'll need to travel back to 2018, iirc. Make sure to eat out, kiss random people, etc... Also, ask what year it is.

He'd be a size large by then but be in denial and go for a medium.

Reactions: XWT

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The leather quality on the jackets varies considerably. bro, just wear it with baggy jeans and some Nikes. Or if you want ot go Margiela, 70s style, with high waisted wide legged pants an a wide collar shirt. No need to overthink it. It's a pretty easy to wear leather jacket, especially in it's current cut.

I've got my Real McCoy's J-100, so I'm set in that department. And I'm keeping my Falcon Garment black lamb collared moto, which isn't that far off. Just curious about the appeal.

So you're saying that the way the jacket is/was cut is particularly appealing?

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Galliano took some liberties to the design. It's still the big diagonal zips but he added some weird zipper pulls. Can't say how the present quality is. I know at one point production went to India. I don't know what does that mean in terms of quality but that's some cost cutting. I think the bottom hem isn't folded over anymore as well.

He'd be a size large by then but be in denial and go for a medium.

A lot of production in India has now shifted to Pakistan as well since COVID. Not sure if Margiela still has/had production in India but I will try and find out if they do and if they have shifted over. Regardless, your point is very valid and definitely helps with the cost-cutting aspect in many regards.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh yiss. We’ve circled back to 5 zips. I sized up in mine and achieved drop shoulder. I think a IT54 is more like a US 43.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of production in India has now shifted to Pakistan as well since COVID. Not sure if Margiela still has/had production in India but I will try and find out if they do and if they have shifted over. Regardless, your point is very valid and definitely helps with the cost-cutting aspect in many regards.

I think they moved the 5-zip's production back to "Italy."

Together with the dropped shoulders and boxy cut, I like the relaxed look it eventually comes to when the jacket has been worn in. The slimmer cut may be more flattering but I find the taper to be too aggressive. It's fine if you're never going to zip the jacket up but when it gets cold and you want to, well, better have that decent drop.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the whole disconnect with TOA is that it’s not “on brand” with you, Fok, at all. U answered it urself, above. U r a trusted purveyor, and I personally would buy stuff, as u, from JE, self edge, canoe club, nmwa, etc etc, as you. I got the the schottx316 roughout, after u raved about it, and I love it. TOA is not anything authentic to you, and I think that’s why everyone has such agita in this thread. Especially when thread is dedicated to leather jackets BEST seen/owned.

well said

Is 2mm really that heavy? Anyway, I noticed a shop had FCL Leons in both a 2mm and a 1.3mm, for the same price and in my caveman dumb dumb brain I was like, "duh, thicker leather = better deal"

yea 2mm is heavy but you get used to it just get the one you like more

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads