• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mozi

Reaction score
@ThreadsofApollo :

if you had read this thread for even 30 mins, you should realized that @d4nimal 's response to you was if anything more mild than average here.

He actually gave you a lot of detailed, reasoned feedback on your product and your marketing. Too bad it was negative, but you were the one that made it personal by calling everything 'insulting'.
You have 4 years of design experience. Admittedly, the look is improving but even you admit that the first 2-3 years had some duds. So perhaps you don't need to be so high on your horse when it comes to having your credentials and design choices questioned a little bit.

If you look at what kind of jackets are discussed in this thread, ppl here are more focused on a different type of product. Usually things that are around $1000 or higher, heirloom quality stuff that tends to be from Japan, etc. More into horsehide than sheep. So maybe this thread is not the right market for what you are aspiring to do.

@LA Guy :

I get SF is a business, and affiliates are a big part of that business model. I'm not begrudging your right to earn revenues.
But there comes a point when start to lose ppl a little bit.

Of course, this is your forum and you can do whatever you want.

But you might notice that no one else here seems particularly interested in, let alone impressed by TOA. The only keep who keeps pimping the brand is the guy being paid by them.
TOA aspires to be like AllSaints, and based on your prior posts, you seem like a guy who wouldn't touch AllSaints at 90% off with a 9 foot pole.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Question for all: I wanna add some zips to my DR's hand pockets and cuffs, possibly even swap out the main zip for a gunmetal or antique silver. Willing to consider straight up silver if you all can convince. From what I just read in the thread, I'm looking for #10 for the main and #5 size for the others. Will probably add on some matching snaps on the lower two lapels.

So what color should I go with?

View attachment 1628666

View attachment 1628667

View attachment 1628668

I think you should get zippers only because hijinks are certain to ensue and it will be funny.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get SF is a business, and affiliates are a big part of that business model. I'm not begrudging your right to earn revenues.
But there comes a point when start to lose ppl a little bit.

Of course, this is your forum and you can do whatever you want.

But you might notice that no one else here seems particularly interested in, let alone impressed by TOA. The only keep who keeps pimping the brand is the guy being paid by them.

TOA aspires to be like AllSaints, and based on your prior posts, you seem like a guy who wouldn't touch AllSaints at 90% off with a 9 foot pole.
I genuinely dislike All Saints. It's like Rock Owens designed for GStar circa 2000

I don't have that much experience of what Threads of Apollo, and we don't talk about what they aspire to be, but the physical jacket that I am looking at while I type this is not All Saints, and frankly, doesn't look like anything I've seen from All Saints.

It's a pretty basic rider jacket with a good fit, and throws in some tailoring elements like the inset shoulders that frankly, is good for a lot of guys as it adds definition. The shoulder strucure is one of the reasons that a well fitted sports jacket or suit looks good on guys. The jacket that I am looking at as I type this doesn't pretend to be something other than a fashion version of iconic garment.

Styling aside, I can say, based on an actual, physical, sample, that the production fit and finish is quite reasnable, and well above that of jackets in the $250 range, and above that of many jackets in that mid market $500-$750 range.

I'm not sure why you seem invested in saying that I'm motivated purely my commercial interests. I am definitely motivated by commercial interests. That said, we also screen our affiliate vendors before we take them on. It doesn't alway work, but it usually does.

tldr: It's not really an either/or situation.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Not-so-hot-take: more companies should hire social media managers.

For what? Styleforum? SF isn't a social media platform. It was a conscious choice for me to be here personally and interact with folks personally.

If you guys want to keep this up and talk things out then take it to our Affiliate thread. I don't want this thread to lose its focus and I am genuinely trying to understand how to bring value to this community so please share any insights over there, if you have any. That goes for anyone.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I genuinely dislike All Saints. It's like Rock Owens designed for GStar circa 2000

What's the issue with All Saints? I considered them a worse Saint Laurent/Blackmeans from afar but I've always heard good things about the brand.

Interested to hear your take.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man, so good. A new level of craziness and discussion, just when the old topic was on its way to burn out...

:lurk::lurk::lurk:

I am, as well, curious to hear your insights @dieworkwear ?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the issue with All Saints? I considered them a worse Saint Laurent/Blackmeans from afar but I've always heard good things about the brand.

Interested to hear your take.
I really don't like the styling and the designs. It has always looked to be like Rick Owens x GStar x Chrome Hearts. I imagine that someone could pair All Saints with an "American Fighter" rashguard.

Blackmeans does some genuinely cool punk stuff that I really appreciate and enjoy, even though I had a terrible experience with one of their jackets that definitely should not have made it through QC. In fairness, I got the refund nearly immediately.

St. Laurent is fine. Most of their jackets are just regular rider jackets, but made with softer leather, given a high price, and cut to fit people who don't eat or work out. I have nothing against them, but I have never been tempted to get one.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you were able to post an image of a Japanese-made leather jacket that you own and describe what you like about it? I've seen you mention this a couple of times now and am curious to hear your insghts.
It's a joke, bro.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads