• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't normally plug affiliate vendors, but this blue two tone reminds of of the Dries van Noten leather jacket from FW03 that is my personal Rosebud:

1624298766555.png

From @ThreadsofApollo

I do like the feel of their jackets, and the fit is very good for my Honda Civic body: I have a sample at the office to check out. The only issue is that it's super soft sheepskin, and as you guys all know, I like my leather heavy thick enough to stand up by itself.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't normally plug affiliate vendors, but this blue two tone reminds of of the Dries van Noten leather jacket from FW03 that is my personal Rosebud:

View attachment 1628324

From @ThreadsofApollo

I do like the feel of their jackets, and the fit is very good for my Honda Civic body: I have a sample at the office to check out. The only issue is that it's super soft sheepskin, and as you guys all know, I like my leather heavy thick enough to stand up by itself.
I remember TOA from a while ago on Reddit when they were promoting on FMF, and the fit and finish looked so bad it was worse than something I'd expect from something like Lucky Brand or Banana Republic. That and the whole "designer styles without the markup" nonsense with obviously bad/extra paneling and weird design features/fits really turned me off enough that I finally posted on one of the threads something along the lines of I could not understand what was of particular value they were offering (can't link reddit from work computer, but it's in the "Threads of Apollo Achilles Racer Leather Jacket" review). Maybe they've improved a bit now, given their fit pictures look better, but I still don't get it tbh.

The idea of the above two-tone design is pretty cool, but I also think it could go really wrong in the wrong hands.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I remember TOA from a while ago on Reddit when they were promoting on FMF, and the fit and finish looked so bad it was worse than something I'd expect from something like Lucky Brand or Banana Republic. That and the whole "designer styles without the markup" nonsense with obviously bad/extra paneling and weird design features/fits really turned me off enough that I finally posted on one of the threads something along the lines of I could not understand what was of particular value they were offering (can't link reddit from work computer, but it's in the "Threads of Apollo Achilles Racer Leather Jacket" review). Maybe they've improved a bit now, given their fit pictures look better, but I still don't get it tbh.

The idea of the above two-tone design is pretty cool, but I also think it could go really wrong in the wrong hands.

Hi there,

I'm here so can you let me know exactly what you "didn't get". I don't recall the particular thread, however, I think for a more accurate representation of our leather jackets look, you can check out the website and I can answer questions as well. Currently, all our jackets are semi-aniline with minimal finishing/coating thus giving it a more natural look and feel them.

We actually don't "cut out the middleman", we work side by side with our production facility. We are one and the same. Along with offering fair pricing, we offer premium quality jackets, utility, have developed an in-house water-repellent solution to keep the jackets safe in heavy rain and snow (which lasts a lifetime) as well as emphasize lowering our impact with regards to wastage.

And yes we are constantly improving our fit, designing amongst other things.

We offer quite a bit of value and work pretty damn hard to do so.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't like the "designer quality without designer pricing" selling point either. (Edit - I see that this was a point of confusion that ToA just addressed - they work with their producers.)

That said, I have a sample here, and while it's not the very top of the line, it corresponds pretty well to brands like Schott at a lower orice. The hardware is decent - standard chrome YKK 10s for the front, and 5s for sleeve and pockets. The stitching is even, stitch density is good for the leather type, and at least in the sample that i have on hand, the panels are well matched. There are a few nitpicking things, like the belt straps. Te ends are not rolled and then stitched down, pften with a row of bar stitching or hidden stitching, depending on the style, like the are on the higher end jackets. That would have given the jackets a more polished, finished feeling (and also prevents any unravelling)

I normally don't ask potential affiliate vendors for a sample to inspect, but the $250 price had me wondering. I wanted to be sure that the quality met a minimum standard. I would say that I've seen plenty of jackets in the $500-$750 range that are not as well done. I am not sure how they bring the price in, but I imagine that if they started to do say, brand name leathers that would actually add to the jacket, that they would need to increase prices, probably to the $500 mark, to make their margins, especially since they would need to import the leathers, and probably buy in small quantities.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't like the "designer quality without designer pricing" selling point either. That said, I have a sample here, and while it's not the very top of the line, it corresponds pretty well to brands like Schott at a lower orice. The hardware is decent - standard chrome YKK 10s for the front, and 5s for sleeve and pockets. The stitching is even, stitch density is good for the leather type, and at least in the sample that i have on hand, the panels are well matched. There are a few nitpicking things, like the belt straps. Te ends are not rolled and stitched like the are on the higher end jackets. I normally don't ask potential affiliate vendors for a sample to inspect, but the $250 price had me wondering. I wanted to be sure that the quality met a minimum standard. I would say that I've seen plenty of jackets in the $500-$750 range that are not as well done. I am not sure how they bring the price in, but I imagine that if they started to do say, brand name leathers that would actually add to the jacket, that they would need to increase prices, probably to the $500 mark, to make their margins, especially since they would need to import the leathers, and probably buy in small quantities.

The feedback regarding the belt's strap ends not being rolled and stitched is exactly the type of feedback I love. As mentioned we work side by side with our supplier and one of the benefits of this is that we can make those changes quickly. It allows us to always be moving in the right direction as at the end of the day, we want to get close to providing much value as possible without compromising anything.

I will be mentioning this to our production facility during the next meeting. Thanks!

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Also, I think comparing us to Schott isn't what we are going for. For that one on one comparison, we'd have to produce a jacket made from similar leather and built in a similar way. Our jackets are more modern, "go-to" pieces for city dwellers. We purposefully use sheep leather as it is a perfect balance (in our opinion) for what the jacket is intended for. I think All-Saints would be a better comparison if one had to be made.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I think comparing us to Schott isn't what we are going for. For that one on one comparison, we'd have to produce a jacket made from similar leather and built in a similar way. Our jackets are more modern, "go-to" pieces for city dwellers. We purposefully use sheep leather as it is a perfect balance (in our opinion) for what the jacket is intended for. I think All-Saints would be a better comparison if one had to be made.
Yeah, I can see that, though I won't personally make the conparison since I don't have any All Saints jackets, and the jackets that I do have in that category are on the high end of that sprectum (CCP).

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see that, though I won't personally make the conparison since I don't have any All Saints jackets, and the jackets that I do have in that category are on the high end of that sprectum (CCP).

Fair enough. Curious to hear what makes the CCP jacket so great? No shots, just genuinely curious. I hadn't heard of them until just now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics