• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey I don`t like that crazy ass MF, but I mean he did get famous as hell on that look. Also that dude from poison. This only further my stance on the utter versatility of the bandanna.

???

Axl Rose was famous for the bandana and sunglasses look now he added a hat, slash the top hat and sunglasses. Its a general biker look that most musicians like to follow.

I saw GnR in 2006 or as I liked to call them at the time "Axl's Roses" since there was only one other original member at the time. Man, Axl sounded amazing he really had a good opportunity for a comeback but a bad release of Chinese Democracy both due to bad marketing and songs leaking over the years before '08. I practically had the whole album in 2005/06 so when it actually came out it wasnt really new.

Then 2012 r&r hall of fame no show from Axl only to re-unite in end of 2015.

I saw them in 2016, also had front row tix for 2020 show (cancelled due to covid).

Axl's voice is not what it was but gnr still easily one of my fave bands. If you think about it they had a short career 85-93 were all the main releases (8 years), similar with nirvana 87-94 (7 years). Thats a lot for both of those bands to achieve in such a short run.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
???

Axl Rose was famous for the bandana and sunglasses look now he added a hat, slash the top hat and sunglasses. Its a general biker look that most musicians like to follow.

I saw GnR in 2006 or as I liked to call them at the time "Axl's Roses" since there was only one other original member at the time. Man, Axl sounded amazing he really had a good opportunity for a comeback but a bad release of Chinese Democracy both due to bad marketing and songs leaking over the years before '08. I practically had the whole album in 2005/06 so when it actually came out it wasnt really new.

Then 2012 r&r hall of fame no show from Axl only to re-unite in end of 2015.

I saw them in 2016, also had front row tix for 2020 show (cancelled due to covid).

Axl's voice is not what it was but gnr still easily one of my fave bands. If you think about it they had a short career 85-93 were all the main releases (8 years), similar with nirvana 87-94 (7 years). Thats a lot for both of those bands to achieve in such a short run.
I saw them in 16 as well. Axl’s voice is weak but Slash’s playing was on another level.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw them in 16 as well. Axl’s voice is weak but Slash’s playing was on another level.

Agree there.

Slash is my favorite guitarist (handful of others I really like), I saw him with velvet revolver and that was the first time, all I can say is wow.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree there.

Slash is my favorite guitarist (handful of others I really like), I saw him with velvet revolver and that was the first time, all I can say is wow.

1993 (‘92?) GnR/Metallica tour! I also once bumped into slash (quite literally) outside an arena before a Slash’s Snakepit show. I was working on an audit and snuck out for a smoke as the band was coming in.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1993 (‘92?) GnR/Metallica tour! I also once bumped into slash (quite literally) outside an arena before a Slash’s Snakepit show. I was working on an audit and snuck out for a smoke as the band was coming in.

that metallica/GnR tour should happen again would be really good to see both of them, also those guys are all friends, I saw Lars and Rob standing backstage of Warfiled in 06 watching the show and at another show Lars drummed on out to get me.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw GnR in 2006 or as I liked to call them at the time "Axl's Roses" since there was only one other original member at the time.

Saw them twice in '92 with Soundgarden at the Houston Astrodome and again a few years later if I remember correctly.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m confident in this case it’s just an affectation.
Which is why it's bad here. They're ******* up perfectly good Shinki horsehide by printing an ugly pattern on it.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which is why it's bad here. They're ******* up perfectly good Shinki horsehide by printing an ugly pattern on it.

I don’t think this blanket statement has a lot of value. This is equal to saying scotch grain is « bad » and « ugly » because it’s processed in the same way. Or that sugar is bad because you can chew on a raw sugar cane.

It’s fine that you don’t like it though.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think this blanket statement has a lot of value. This is equal to saying scotch grain is « bad » and « ugly » because it’s processed in the same way. Or that sugar is bad because you can chew on a raw sugar cane.

It’s fine that you don’t like it though.
I actually do think scotch grain is bad and ugly because it's printed. That said, I concede I'm in the minority on this entirely subjective judgement.

I like the jacket otherwise, though.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, I’m also arguing for arguments sake, and because unlike Reddit we can actually do it here without talking trash about each others moms.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bandanas are the ****, I own a ton of vintage ones and a handful of Kapital ones. I wear them in all sorts of ways, cowboy, headband, underneath my shirt, protecting the back of my neck etc. Also it gets hot as hell in Japan, and its nice to wet one, freeze em, and then wear it out. Lasts all of 10 minutes but damn does it make the commute just a little more bearable.

+1 I have about 6 all blue, faded down and soft to perfection, all vintage elephant brand, maybe one tiger, and all the best (to me) unique, hard to find patterns.

I started using them when living in the semi-tropical and tropical climates to wipe the sweat off my brow. Also, the periodic dousing in cold water and wrap around the neck works wonders.

Outside a hot(ter) climate I don't use them at all.

I haven't bought a bandana in 10 years. Once you have a handful of great ones you're set. Last I bought, they were going for 15 bucks on Etsy. Now, I don't think you can find a hard to find, in demand pattern elephant brand bandana in blue for sub 80 bucks.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a welder we wore them to keep those hot dingleberries off your neck when working overhead

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads