• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

slows2k

Reaction score
I tried on that IH (collared) jacket at SE and really liked it. I thought the fit overall was great except for the sleeves, which are also your biggest issue. You can zip the sleeves to get a close fit around the wrists, but then the sleeves bunch up in an unattractive way.

Before you decide to buy the IH, you should get a quote on shortening the sleeves.

Yeah I hate the tailor tax with sleeves but what are ya gonna do. That good advice though, just to see how much more I'll be in for. I wonder if they can shorten from the sleeve and just put in a shorter zipper. I don't care if the zips at the end are shorter than they are currently.

Pay once, cry once.

It looks great. Do it.

Thats my normal mantra so I probably will after sleeping on it. Also though: buy right once, cry once; buy wrong once, cry three times: when buying, selling, and rebuying the right one.

I've been there, too, haha.

Reactions: XWT

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had Zoltan shorten the sleeves of a leather jacket for me and he did a great job on it, fwiw, though I can't remember what it cost.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I hate the tailor tax with sleeves but what are ya gonna do. That good advice though, just to see how much more I'll be in for. I wonder if they can shorten from the sleeve and just put in a shorter zipper. I don't care if the zips at the end are shorter than they are currently.

Thats my normal mantra so I probably will after sleeping on it. Also though: buy right once, cry once; buy wrong once, cry three times: when buying, selling, and rebuying the right one.

I've been there, too, haha.
I doubt you will save much money attempting to shorten from the cuff and changing the zipper. Plus, you will be altering the design, which I never like to do.

Re: the Schott jacket. I think that looks good on you as well (overlooking the sleeves again). If you don’t like the epaulets, I would wait for the next rendition of the 3sixteen x Schott DR. 3sixteen typically leaves out the belt and epaulets and usually uses an interesting leather.

ucla bruin

Reaction score
I had the sleeves shortened on my 3Sixteen roughout at Johnson Leathers in SF. They just shortened the existing zippers/sleeves to my desired length. They did a great job and think it cost me $125-150.

They also said they could remove the zippers then shorten the sleeves then reinstall the zippers if keeping the existing zipper length was critical to me. It seemed like overkill to me so I didn’t bother asking how much it would cost.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wanna go into detail why you found the leather and fit undesirable?

sure I bought my size (advised by addict) but the long version. The jacket I received had paper thin leather with sleeves and body too short. To top it off the Maine zipper was sewn on a bit crooked which they wouldn’t cop to a “defect”. After a bunch of back and forth I got my refund but they sent me a **** product.

now look I’ve received carmina and CCP boots with actual slashes like someone took a knife to them and both retailers immediately apologized and gave me a refund. But to tell me your crookedly sewn on zipper isn’t a defect is beyond me.

i am a very loyal customer and can tolerate small imperfections but hate when a retailer is not accommodating.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On my quest to find my one jacket I stopped in at Self Edge SF today and really liked this Ironheart. Feels like it fit extremely well; I was surprised at the amount of movement I had in the shoulders, given it's pretty slim. Fit and finish appear excellent. I tried the collarless version too, at $200 less, and it fit the same, pretty much. Is the collar worth $200? I'm leaning towards yes...All the other details are right for me: the double chest pockets, double hand pockets, and large zips are perfect.

Problem areas for me: arm length on my tyrannosaurus arms. They're not terribly long and should come up some, but altering may be in the future. It's a little long in the body and hits the top of my larger posterior, but I suspect as it creases this problem will lessen. Does anyone have one of these who can comment on how it's worked out for them? This kind of thing is a big outlay for me so I want to make sure I get it right...

Oh and I tried on the equivalent Fine Creek and while nice, their fit really didn't work for me for some reason.

A couple terrible pics that i had to brighten because of the overhead light placement:

View attachment 1606438
For comparison I was at Schott a few days ago and liked the 613H. If I got it I would have to take the sleeves up and probably in because they're pretty large, and remove the epaulets, which I really don't care for.

View attachment 1606442

I was pleasantly surprised by the Schott and it costs substantially less than the IH, but I'm not sure about the look. What does the hive mind think?

+1 to IH. I have the collarless version which is the moto, I bought it and it fits me rather perfectly.

Johnson Leather (in SF on polk) does alterations on leather jackets, I had a friend alter his CCP and he was happy as were many others in this thread.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, this Fine Creek Raymond jacket didn't get much distribution when it came and went a few months ago, but I think it's one of their better models with the hem at the waist and cuffs. They really break up otherwise big flat panels of leather, especially at the back.

I'd love to get one of these but have no idea where or when it'd ever be restocked.

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 5.50.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 5.50.11 AM.png

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That's a nice jacket. I had the Eric but ended up selling it. I like the Raymond more due to the breakup of uniform panels as you've mentioned

Re: Addict - I love mine. It's a completely different leather than FCL. Much thinner but I ended up selling all my FCL (for various reasons) and ended up keeping the AD.

Iron Heart jackets are great. I had the One-Star DR they made and it was awesome, except the sleeves were just too long. Personally I think the overall fit of the jackets looks great on you, but the sleeves are way too long and would end up bugging me too much in the end. Everyone's tolerance/preference is difference obviously. @slows2k

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record I prefer less stiff / heavy jackets so that might be why the addict was great for me. Tbh even it is too tough/stiff haha

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, this Fine Creek Raymond jacket didn't get much distribution when it came and went a few months ago, but I think it's one of their better models with the hem at the waist and cuffs. They really break up otherwise big flat panels of leather, especially at the back.

I'd love to get one of these but have no idea where or when it'd ever be restocked.

View attachment 1606590

View attachment 1606591

You probably know this but check out Freewheeler's Mulholland and Real McCoy's Nelson and Steinbeck, although the former two have side tabs, which you may not like. Freewheeler's is pretty much impossible to get outside of ordering from Speedway or proxying from other Japanese shops, RMC you can order through Standard & Strange.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads