• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always throw a Rancid sticker on it...

Totally. 1000% improvement across the board.

Adobe_20210430_185501.png

Adobe_20210430_185753.png

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@whorishconsumer All fair points. Still feel like it's a bit of a wasted opportunity to do an MTM with Savas for something so very standard (just to be clear, not advocating balls to the wall CM GMTOs level of customization). Admittedly I've never been on a suede trucker quest and might be underestimating the difficulty of finding exactly what you're looking for in that market or missing some nuances.

It has, in fact, been quite difficult to find a suede trucker period, putting aside factors like color or fit. But I would agree your position is a rational one.

The suede here is the same used by Tom Ford, and they sell it for four times the price. Or so I am told. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't markup by both designers/labels.

Yeah @whorishconsumer just pass. It's not worth the price at all and there are better options out there.
@whorishconsumer here you go, saved you over 1k, 1050 aint cheap but its not 2500, there is a black option too

ihj-49-brn.jpg

Where are the better options? I like Iron Heart, but that particular offering doesn't fit the bill for me. Nor does Todd Snyder or Iron & Resin, and it has been quite difficult to find an old Polo in the correct size/color/condition.

Yeah, sure, I understand this feeling, though, as you note, this is her business, but I sure don't understand buying a $2,500 jacket because of it. Not even the cheapest thing there (
ugly wallet for $225).

"The complicated dynamics at play in this type of luxury-craft-retail space", or, stated otherwise, that's how they getcha. I'm sure she doesn't expect everyone who drops in to find out about her offerings to part with several hundred to several thousand dollars just for expressing an interest. I recall … well, I can't remember his name or handle anymore, actually, but you know who I mean, the guy with a lot of belts who runs this place, I recall him saying a while back that he often makes a small purchase if he's dropped by a boutique and spent time with the SAs or owner or whatever, but she doesn't offer anything suitable to salve that sting. (It's also of course her business to "establish some connection"; it's called being good at sales, I believe.)
Pretty sure the owner of the boutique understands that there can be a long sales cycle for luxury goods. I am sure she understands that not every customer who stops in will lift a $2,500 leather jacket on the wire without thinking the purchase over.

If she is confident in her products and gets the sense that you are not a time waster (eg, instagrammer/social media type looking for free content), she will recognize that there is a good chance that you will make a purchase in the future.

To the extent you feel the pressure to buy the jacket or something similar because she spent an hour with you, well that is on you. Next time around, manage expectations upfront so that there is no obligation on either side and you can either do business or walk away in good faith.

This is similar to how I would respond were I not the OP. I'd agree that on the surface it's not complicated – I am being sold a good by a salesperson. However, I am fully aware of this fact and yet still, at the same time, have a sense of obligation and desire to honor the connection, which means it is not simply a matter of being exploited. I also don't believe that my takeaway from the experience is the result of a guilt for having violated certain ethics. I wanted to visit the atelier because I am interested in the brand and because I wanted to explore the boot sizing further. I did not anticipate Savannah being present or that I would spend as long there as I did.

I just started reading Erving Goffman's Presentation of Self in Every Day Life again, so perhaps I'm affecting an academic position. My experience and response to the experience remain the same.

I think some of the critical feedback you're getting here may have more to do with the incongruency between the slim, tapered jeans and the wider top. If you crop out the jeans you get this

View attachment 1601934

That fit looks good to me. I like the cut of the collar

When you post the full fit pic, the top looks a bit loose and the pants are slim tapered, which makes the top half look heavier

View attachment 1601935

But if you were to wear that with slightly fuller jeans, I think the overall silhouette would balance out.

I would lengthen the front balance from the side view, but to be honest, don't know if I would pay $1,000 for that. I don't know if casualwear has to fit like tailoring. But the jacket does seem to ride up at the front.

I like the blue leather jacket as well, but don't know if that fits with what I know of your style. FWIW, I have a blue five-zip in my closet and rarely wear it. I find I get much more use out of my tan suede five-zip (and tan suede trucker) because that color goes so easily with jeans in black, blue, and white. It is a more "boring" color, but also just easier to wear.

$2,500 is a lot of money and I agree you shouldn't buy something just because someone took some time out of their day for you. But it could be a cool jacket if you have a hard time finding RTW pieces that fit.

Thanks for the doing the work for me. I almost ran out and bought the jacket after reading this.

While I agree on what you observe on the proportions, the truth is were I to own this jacket I'd wear it with those slim jeans. I'm slowly approaching a precarious balance between idealism and pragmatism with my wardrobe: the reality is that it's not practical (or financially feasible) for me to have a pant to match every jacket or vice versa, and similar with other clothing items. It's also the case that one can enjoy wearing something that others perceive to not look good. My warlock hat, for example.

@whorishconsumer - yeah, not the biggest fran of that jacket on you, unfortunately. Front / back balance looks way off for you.

If I were to get something from Savas, I think I'd want something like this:

View attachment 1602063

That's the Legend. I actually tried this model and material in a stock size but the proportions were off, so I'd need to order MTM. I'd also not do that light a ten. But I like the model. She had it in an orange steerhide (still lightweight) that I thought was cool.

Well said.

Incidentally I’ve worked in sales for 20+ years and wish my customers felt the need to buy based on the effort I put into the sales process.

@whorishconsumer I’ll hang out with you for the afternoon (hookers, blow, whatever you need) as long as you have health insurance, a rare complication of a rare bleeding disorder and are willing to do regular infusions of recombinant Factor VIIa indicated for patients with Hemophilia A or B with inhibitors.

Edited to sweeten the deal: I'll even throw in my Todd Snyder suede trucker:

View attachment 1602024

I'm about the sober life these days and I think the brothel train left the station years ago when I passed up that opportunity in Istanbul, but I'd be down to hang out and learn what it's like being a pharma rep.

The Todd Snyder jacket looks really good. I don’t think it is baller enough for the OP though.

Exactly.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the mustard suede jacket from Blake Hedley when they were doing a MTO.

You can request them to do alterations when you order it. The Reed jacket isn't full on trucker jacket but it's pretty close to a trucker style.

It has, in fact, been quite difficult to find a suede trucker period, putting aside factors like color or fit. But I would agree your position is a rational one.

The suede here is the same used by Tom Ford, and they sell it for four times the price. Or so I am told. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't markup by both designers/labels.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the mustard suede jacket from Blake Hedley when they were doing a MTO.

You can request them to do alterations when you order it. The Reed jacket isn't full on trucker jacket but it's pretty close to a trucker style.
I TRIED to do the same in the Italian suede whiskey.
Medium sold out super quick.
I really liked the look.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just started reading Erving Goffman's Presentation of Self in Every Day Life again, so perhaps I'm affecting an academic position. My experience and response to the experience remain the same.

If you feel the same after finishing the Goffman I'll be moderately surprised. Stigma and "On Cooling the Mark Out" are good reads, too.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've looked there and haven't seen anything. Am I missing something?
Probably my mistake. I have a photo somewhere of the guy from Brycelands wearing a tan one that’s real nice but maybe it was just something he owned from another brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads