• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First decent leather jacket I ever owned was a moto from TOJ. Alas, I lost it in a bar. Sadly I have lost a lot of jackets in bars over the years and now I basically never take off my jacket in a bar.

These are pics of the two other jackets I've loved most. First is a moto with gold hardware from Blackmeans I picked up on Grailed. This jacket was really cool but like a lot of Japanese moto jackets the armhole was just too high for me longterm so I sold it.

tempImage4DCf8E.jpg

The second is the one I am wearing in my profile photo. It's a horse hide moto from Addicts Japan. I know that it is not Shinki, but the leather feels amazing. Only complaint is that the arms are a little long, now that things are opening back up here in PDX more I will be taking it to a tailor to shorten the sleeves and narrow the opening. Other than that, it's an amazing piece and I look forward to seeing how it ages. Posting a photo that's unfiltered so you can really see how lustrous the sheen is.

tempImageAPTMlV.jpg

I love leather jackets and am always looking for another one, I think my next one will be a brown horsehide from Himel Bros, unless someone has a different suggestion?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First decent leather jacket I ever owned was a moto from TOJ. Alas, I lost it in a bar. Sadly I have lost a lot of jackets in bars over the years and now I basically never take off my jacket in a bar.

These are pics of the two other jackets I've loved most. First is a moto with gold hardware from Blackmeans I picked up on Grailed. This jacket was really cool but like a lot of Japanese moto jackets the armhole was just too high for me longterm so I sold it.

View attachment 1570468

The second is the one I am wearing in my profile photo. It's a horse hide moto from Addicts Japan. I know that it is not Shinki, but the leather feels amazing. Only complaint is that the arms are a little long, now that things are opening back up here in PDX more I will be taking it to a tailor to shorten the sleeves and narrow the opening. Other than that, it's an amazing piece and I look forward to seeing how it ages. Posting a photo that's unfiltered so you can really see how lustrous the sheen is.

View attachment 1570469

I love leather jackets and am always looking for another one, I think my next one will be a brown horsehide from Himel Bros, unless someone has a different suggestion?

I remember that Blackmeans when it was released.

Addicts jacket looks nice.

I don't have anything from Himel, but I tried one of their jackets on once. I think it was at Sef Edge? It seemed like a really cool jacket. Recently discovered David Himel has a Youtube channel and I've been slowly making my way through that. Looks like he started it last year shortly after the first US lockdown.

I think Fine Creek Leathers is a fan favorite here. Might be worth checking out if you're into workwear-styled leathers.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember that Blackmeans when it was released.

Addicts jacket looks nice.

I don't have anything from Himel, but I tried one of their jackets on once. I think it was at Sef Edge? It seemed like a really cool jacket. Recently discovered David Himel has a Youtube channel and I've been slowly making my way through that. Looks like he started it last year shortly after the first US lockdown.

I think Fine Creek Leathers is a fan favorite here. Might be worth checking out if you're into workwear-styled leathers.

Wait did I just get a compliment from dieworkwear? I can die happy now. For real though, I am a shiite photographer, Addicts jackets are quite lovely in person. Also I don't know if it has been mentioned on here, but Satoshi is extremely hands on and patient with customer service he spent a lot of time answering questions from me before I finally ordered this jacket. Would definitely recommend to anyone who wants a Japanese leather.

As someone who was super into the hardcore scene in high school I think Blackmeans captures a specific vibe but just elevates it a bit so I like their stuff, but it is definitely not for everyone and their fit is extremely tight.

David Himel is an incredibly interesting person to me as he is not just obsessed with leather jackets, but ultimately the philosophical pursuit of beauty in general. I started watching his channel during lockdown as well, it's pretty interesting. I don't know if you watched the video he collaborated on with Carl Murawksi, but I found it very compelling.

Fine Creek Leathers is definitely on my list as well. Everyone I've seen who has them seems to love them

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For expensive items, I get stuffed delivered to me at the office.
Ah working in an office, I remember using that tactic all the time. Was working from home all last year before being let go. So now any purchases come home.

Alas, my apartment complex has an Amazon Hub so all packages send me AND my girlfriend a notification when they arrive. Thankfully, she accepts my addiction

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wait did I just get a compliment from dieworkwear? I can die happy now. For real though, I am a shiite photographer, Addicts jackets are quite lovely in person. Also I don't know if it has been mentioned on here, but Satoshi is extremely hands on and patient with customer service he spent a lot of time answering questions from me before I finally ordered this jacket. Would definitely recommend to anyone who wants a Japanese leather.

As someone who was super into the hardcore scene in high school I think Blackmeans captures a specific vibe but just elevates it a bit so I like their stuff, but it is definitely not for everyone and their fit is extremely tight.

David Himel is an incredibly interesting person to me as he is not just obsessed with leather jackets, but ultimately the philosophical pursuit of beauty in general. I started watching his channel during lockdown as well, it's pretty interesting. I don't know if you watched the video he collaborated on with Carl Murawksi, but I found it very compelling.

Fine Creek Leathers is definitely on my list as well. Everyone I've seen who has them seems to love them

I know what you mean about Blackmeans. I had some friends in high school who were into the straightedge/ hardcore scene, and those jackets remind me of that look. Still admire that look. Although I've heard from friends that Blackmeans has a very specific fit and is maybe hard to wear.

Will have to check out the Murawski video. Only recently discovered David Himel's channel, and have been playing a clip or so each morning.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean about Blackmeans. I had some friends in high school who were into the straightedge/ hardcore scene, and those jackets remind me of that look. Still admire that look. Although I've heard from friends that Blackmeans has a very specific fit and is maybe hard to wear.

Will have to check out the Murawski video. Only recently discovered David Himel's channel, and have been playing a clip or so each morning.

I think if it fits you and you like the aesthetic, Blackmeans is a great option. Great jacket to throw on, put on some Fugazi and start kicking and punching in your living room. About week after I sold it, my girlfriend was like "oh you could've given me that jacket, I tried it on when you were showering and I really liked it." :rotflmao:

Definitely watch the Murawski video when you get to it. I think its a great contrast between Carl who is very warm and humble whereas David is kind of surly.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a pretty slim guy and even then I a 5 in blackmeans means I can only wear it with a t shirt basically. it's meant to be punk so I guess that means you either wear nothing underneath or just a threadbare t shirt. I like the designs though, I probably would wear them if I still pushed that aesthetic. I don't like that side of me to be that obvious anymore.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This would be the perfect jacket for me if it didn’t patina to brown, is there anything similar that stays black?
56E1D442-A4B2-48F3-9330-048021E9465D.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads