• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for looking out. It looks like they’re out of 44 at this particular shop but I can scour the Net. Anyone have any info on Double Helix? What’s their brand story?

I’m asking the shipper to open a case with DHL and am also filing a police report so I can file a claim with my credit card. From my experience with a package stolen in Jan, both approaches take a really long time and it’s unclear if I’ll get a ruling in my favor. (Assuming I do, I’m not looking to double-dip - I’ll close one claim or the other).

I’ve already ordered a replacement shirt. The bigger concern is that one of my neighbors, or someone with access to the building, is stealing my ****. It’s only an 8-unit building, so, awwwwwkwarrrrrd.

Man, that really, really sucks. I didn't know you had it happen twice in such a short period of time. Makes it scary to order anything.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my old building, someone kept stealing my Sunday paper ( it was a while ago ). One morning early I'm making an espresso in my underwear. I hear footsteps approaching on the walkway outside and then see a shadow go by the blinds. Then I hear the scrape of paper.
FUUUUCK. I ran and threw on some shorts and sprinted out the door, ran around the corner........only to see the elevator door close.
The crime spree was never solved.[/QUOTE]

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bigger concern is that one of my neighbors, or someone with access to the building, is stealing my ****. It’s only an 8-unit building, so, awwwwwkwarrrrrd

That's more than infuriating. I'd buy one of those cheap Wyze cameras from Amazon and install it in the common area. I hope you find the bastard.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that really, really sucks. I didn't know you had it happen twice in such a short period of time. Makes it scary to order anything.

Thanks for the sympathy. It's been a first for me, but is completely commonplace, at least in New York.

Twice, three packages stolen. The first haul equaled $800. Ralph Lauren just straight-up issued a refund. The other, much smaller, vendor is pursuing a claim with Fedex that has been ongoing for 6+ weeks.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my old building, someone kept stealing my Sunday paper ( it was a while ago ). One morning early I'm making an espresso in my underwear. I hear footsteps approaching on the walkway outside and then see a shadow go by the blinds. Then I hear the scrape of paper.
FUUUUCK. I ran and threw on some shorts and sprinted out the door, ran around the corner........only to see the elevator door close.
The crime spree was never solved.

Your mistake was putting on shorts.

slows2k

Reaction score
Thanks for the sympathy. It's been a first for me, but is completely commonplace, at least in New York.

Twice, three packages stolen. The first haul equaled $800. Ralph Lauren just straight-up issued a refund. The other, much smaller, vendor is pursuing a claim with Fedex that has been ongoing for 6+ weeks.

Living in the bay area, porch pirates have been an issue with us enough that anything more than amazon packages I have diverted to either UPS or Fedex locations for pickup. Is this an option for you?

It's an extra step and a headache, but I haven't had anything valuable go missing for a long time now.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, I came across this company a while ago. I've never used their service, but the concept seems interesting and it might be a solution. Basically, you pick up your package from a neighbor who may be in a better position to safely receive packages.

Found the company through an NYT story about package theft in NYC and what some people are doing about it. There are some other solutions in there.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all awful. I don't know how it works for you guys in the US (or elsewhere), but where I live I have to actively accept (opt-in?) that a package is left at my home without me taking the delivery in person. This goes for all services - the national postal service, FedEx, ups, DHL etc.

Is it really possible for couriers to just dump your stuff outside of your homes in the US, without you agreeing to it beforehand? Sounds crazy to me.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is all awful. I don't know how it works for you guys in the US (or elsewhere), but where I live I have to actively accept (opt-in?) that a package is left at my home without me taking the delivery in person. This goes for all services - the national postal service, FedEx, ups, DHL etc.

Is it really possible for couriers to just dump your stuff outside of your homes in the US, without you agreeing to it beforehand? Sounds crazy to me.
Yes. We have a small sign up on our mailbox on our door that says please do not leave any packages - they get left all the time. We have online instructions for our address as well with the same and it doesn’t make any difference. I called UPS or FedEx last year who told me they do not even require their couriers to knock or ring your doorbell anymore. Last month I had a super rare Beams coat (something that cannot be replaced) coming from Japan and opted for additional cost of signature required service - called FedEx to ensure they would ring the doorbell and require signature, as COVID has understandably changed some processes, and was assured they cannot just leave it. They just left it.
The only service that drops our packages over our back porch fence if we’re not home is USPS because our mailman is awesome. Amazon maybe 50/50.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. We have a small sign up on our mailbox on our door that says please do not leave any packages - they get left all the time. We have online instructions for our address as well with the same and it doesn’t make any difference. I called UPS or FedEx last year who told me they do not even require their couriers to knock or ring your doorbell anymore. Last month I had a super rare Beams coat (something that cannot be replaced) coming from Japan and opted for additional cost of signature required service - called FedEx to ensure they would ring the doorbell and require signature, as COVID has understandably changed some processes, and was assured they cannot just leave it. They just left it.
The only service that drops our packages over our back porch fence if we’re not home is USPS because our mailman is awesome. Amazon maybe 50/50.

Wow. That's so crazy. I wonder how that legal arrangement came about. Something like that would be totally impossible here.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many delivery services (UPS & FedEx for sure, not sure about USPS) will (often for a fee) allow you to have packages delivered to and held at a UPS/FedEx store.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living in the bay area, porch pirates have been an issue with us enough that anything more than amazon packages I have diverted to either UPS or Fedex locations for pickup. Is this an option for you?

It's an extra step and a headache, but I haven't had anything valuable go missing for a long time now.

FWIW, I came across this company a while ago. I've never used their service, but the concept seems interesting and it might be a solution. Basically, you pick up your package from a neighbor who may be in a better position to safely receive packages.

Found the company through an NYT story about package theft in NYC and what some people are doing about it. There are some other solutions in there.

I just signed up, and paid the annual fee for, UPS "premium" service, which lets me have packages delivered to the UPS store about a half mile away. I'm having my Vibergs shipped there instead.

Packages are only signed delivery if requested by the shipper, so it varies by what is ordered and from where. Generally smaller vendors selling expensive items or anything shipped from overseas require signature. Others, like Ralph Lauren, or anything from Amazon, do not.

However, as d4nimal indicated, with COVID carriers have waived the requirement that a driver receive a direct signature from the recipient of a package, even if signed delivery is specified. With some delivery drivers this means they buzz you and if you buzz them in they'll leave the package in the lobby or by your door, but sign it "COVID" or "LOBBY". This is what DHL did with the Sugar Cane shirt I had ripped off yesterday. Others don't buzz and just leave the packages outside the lobby door. This is what happened with the two packages I had delivered by FedEx in January. They were jacked within 20 minutes of delivery.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many delivery services (UPS & FedEx for sure, not sure about USPS) will (often for a fee) allow you to have packages delivered to and held at a UPS/FedEx store.
This is true, but sometimes the shipper or shipment type will have restrictions that do not let you re-route and require a first attempt to be made (this was the case w the recent Beams coat). There are also mailbox services you can rent locally, but they tend to be relatively expensive.

edit - I should mention I did get my coat. It was just frustrating worrying about it by the front door all day and not having any options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads