• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've wondered (and want) that, too. I'd like to shorten this TOJ body by maybe 1".

But where would they adjust it? I mean, the pockets basically come within an inch of the hem seam...

View attachment 1565653

FYI, I've emailed Johnson Leathers twice now and haven't heard anything.
I asked JL about this exact alteration on a TOJ cafe racer years ago (I ended up selling it and buying and Aero BR Buco Repro). Anyways here you go:

“We have done this type or alteration on many different style jackets before. We would remove the waist band shorten the shorten it - 1/2" and then shorten the jacket - 1/2". We can remove the front zipper shorten it so it stays original. The cost to do this type of alteration will run about $215.00. We are running about one week on alterations.”

this was in 2015 so I’d imagine it would cost more now.

REbelGreaser

Reaction score
I understand that you're used to skin tight fitting clothes, but baggy doesn't remotely describe this jacket you're wearing. That's a very proper size for you. You just need time to get used to it.
You are right Sir, need to adjust to the new fitment

Reactions: XWT

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@peachfuzzmcgee , have u posted a fit pic of this length issue?

I have not, I might post it up later just cause but to be honest it's not an issue. The real issue is modern trends in this case. Finding a rider that has a 22-23.5 in length on a 40-42 in chest is impossible. I find vintage ones all the time but the football panel etc make them often feel very wide and bulky. I tuck in my shirt and wear 11.75 in+ rise, making the modern jackets all feel long.

I may be able to get a cropped lewis leather jacket, but the leather they have felt kinda meh. Basically want a cropped lewis lightning with leather as nice as my FCL.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not, I might post it up later just cause but to be honest it's not an issue. The real issue is modern trends in this case. Finding a rider that has a 22-23.5 in length on a 40-42 in chest is impossible. I find vintage ones all the time but the football panel etc make them often feel very wide and bulky. I tuck in my shirt and wear 11.75 in+ rise, making the modern jackets all feel long.

I may be able to get a cropped lewis leather jacket, but the leather they have felt kinda meh. Basically want a cropped lewis lightning with leather as nice as my FCL.
I’d consider Field Leather made to measure and choose full custom specs on everything. I don’t think it costs anything still to change whatever you want on his jackets.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finding a rider that has a 22-23.5 in length on a 40-42 in chest is impossible. I find vintage ones all the time but the football panel etc make them often feel very wide and bulky. I tuck in my shirt and wear 11.75 in+ rise, making the modern jackets all feel long.

Well, if anyone can give you this aesthetic it would be Johnson Leathers. Found this pic on Google Images searching for them.

Yeah ... not my thing. But hey, you do you.

l.jpg

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked JL about this exact alteration on a TOJ cafe racer years ago (I ended up selling it and buying and Aero BR Buco Repro). Anyways here you go:

“We have done this type or alteration on many different style jackets before. We would remove the waist band shorten the shorten it - 1/2" and then shorten the jacket - 1/2". We can remove the front zipper shorten it so it stays original. The cost to do this type of alteration will run about $215.00. We are running about one week on alterations.”

this was in 2015 so I’d imagine it would cost more now.

Thank you. I wonder how they shorten the body (separate from the waist band). Like do they have to recut the arm holes? Refold the lapels, or do they move up 1/2" as well?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is already changing in earnest i'd expect to see silhouettes rise towards a more traditional waist, meanwhile maybe poke around LVC and see what's up

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if anyone can give you this aesthetic it would be Johnson Leathers. Found this pic on Google Images searching for them.

Yeah ... not my thing. But hey, you do you.

View attachment 1566142

This is pretty ugly though, something about that tight waist, I'm looking for cropped punk looks. Think late 70s early 80 punk bands and leather daddies with a slight Kapital vibe. Not generic biker wear.

I’d consider Field Leather made to measure and choose full custom specs on everything. I don’t think it costs anything still to change whatever you want on his jackets.

Ill check this brand out! I never really thought about made to measure it but it might be an avenue worth exploring

this is already changing in earnest i'd expect to see silhouettes rise towards a more traditional waist, meanwhile maybe poke around LVC and see what's up

Actually there is an LVC store in Osaka, I might go check it out. RRL had something that was almost perfect but the leather was so meh for the 2.5k it was selling for

Imma try to get a good picture of myself real quick to show what I mean. For length

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ill check this brand out! I never really thought about made to measure it but it might be an avenue worth exploring

Cool - I'd say his IG is the best representation of what he does. He posts these stories where he will take a picture or video of something like 30 steps of him making a jacket. He used to work for Aero for many years, but left to start his own company at a higher finishing level (and price point). Fits are also better than Aero IMO. My only gripe is that I don't really care for his band collar design, but I'm pretty sure he could also change that if you asked him. If I didn't buy my FCL last year, I probably would have went this way. People are starting to hear about him more, though, so his wait list is starting to balloon out. Price is certainly value for money.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here it is. Fit pics, believe it or not, these are my first ever anywhere. so sorta embarrassing. However I'm making progress is being okay with internet people talking **** to me.

First pants are Nicholas Daley and have like 13.5 rise so pretty drastic. Second is a 70s pair of lee riders which has a rise of 12.

Attachments

• 20210301194918_IMG_1152.JPG
    20210301194918_IMG_1152.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 20210301195101_IMG_1153.JPG
    20210301195101_IMG_1153.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 167

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here it is. Fit pics, believe it or not, these are my first ever anywhere. so sorta embarrassing. However I'm making progress is being okay with internet people talking **** to me.

First pants are Nicholas Daley and have like 13.5 rise so pretty drastic. Second is a 70s pair of lee riders which has a rise of 12.

Hm, I don't know. If I were you, I don't know if I would feel the need to shorten that jacket. I think before making a decision, I would try a shorter jacket first and see how you like the silhouette. Some of Schott's DRs are short by nature because they're designed for actual motorcycle riders (I can't remember how their model numbers work out, but one of them is the "original" and it's short).

I like both fits, but think they might look better if you folded the turtleneck collar down. The zipper on the jacket sleeve is also a cool detail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads