• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've wondered (and want) that, too. I'd like to shorten this TOJ body by maybe 1".

But where would they adjust it? I mean, the pockets basically come within an inch of the hem seam...

IMG_6292.jpg

FYI, I've emailed Johnson Leathers twice now and haven't heard anything.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry to the cut the knife talk short, but I think I'm having a crazier urge now.

Can you get the body of a leather jacket shortened? I love the look and feel of my FCL Edward, however, I'm an idiot and want to have it look more aggressive by cropping it down to be more vintage style.

Like roughly 2-3 inches or so. I'm in Japan so there are many great leather tailors but is it even possible? There are so many doodads and **** at the bottom after all. I'm down to pay the big bucks as long as it's not at like 1000 bucks.
I would ask or get a quote from one of the many great leather tailors you mention.

I think it would be more economical to sell your FCL and buy something that fits to your liking.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great point that I missed entirely. Mine was a cafe racer with no pockets or anything else at the hem, making it very straight forward.
In my city, it costs at least $150 to shorten the sleeves of a leather or suede jacket from the cuff (with no complications like zippers, placket - just hemming). Can’t imagine what shortening the jacket would cost.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
desiccated animal PRODUCT thank you very much

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks this jacket is baggy than what I’m used to . This jacket is size 52 compared to the previous jacket I posted which was size 50 which had a slimmer look

I understand that you're used to skin tight fitting clothes, but baggy doesn't remotely describe this jacket you're wearing. That's a very proper size for you. You just need time to get used to it.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would ask or get a quote from one of the many great leather tailors you mention.

I think it would be more economical to sell your FCL and buy something that fits to your liking.

To be honest, prolly just gonna skip it instead of going out and getting a bonkers price or a flat no. Here in Japan if they think it won't be worth anyones time, they won't mince words, they'll just say they can't. I might find one lunatic who will do it though.

I like the fit everywhere, except the length. I love the feel of the leather and it's gotten some good wear so it's showing that patina. Probably a lot of people wouldn't want it anymore anyway. I just wear a lot of higher rise pants, so the jacket hits like 3-6 inches below the belt depending on the pants Im wearing.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, prolly just gonna skip it instead of going out and getting a bonkers price or a flat no. Here in Japan if they think it won't be worth anyones time, they won't mince words, they'll just say they can't. I might find one lunatic who will do it though.

I like the fit everywhere, except the length. I love the feel of the leather and it's gotten some good wear so it's showing that patina. Probably a lot of people wouldn't want it anymore anyway. I just wear a lot of higher rise pants, so the jacket hits like 3-6 inches below the belt depending on the pants Im wearing.
I feel like you're right, this is gonna be more headache, money, and effort than you probably want to invest. You'd also probably want to find a tailor whose stitching is as good as FCL as well, as you would need to have the doodads reattached (unless you don't want them anymore) after the hemming.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I hope you used a pocket knife for the procedure and used a hand sanitizer on it afterwards to disinfect the cut.

excuse me, i'm classy and went the sruli recht route and got it done surgically so i could tan it for posterity

But how many doodads and **** at the bottom?

i'm sorry but this went over my head :(

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've wondered (and want) that, too. I'd like to shorten this TOJ body by maybe 1".

But where would they adjust it? I mean, the pockets basically come within an inch of the hem seam...

FYI, I've emailed Johnson Leathers twice now and haven't heard anything.

Just use your pocket knife.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I open mail and Amazon boxes with mine. Plus, I cut things that surprisingly need to be cut when I least expect it, when I'm in my car, etc. Mine's a puny little flipper and wouldn't intimidate anyone so it's not meant to be defensive whatsoever.

same here, but I also have a multi-tool in my car or backpack depending on where I am going and thats actually far more useful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads