• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe go ask your mom? @LA Guy what's your take on this piece of styleforum (and sufu I guess) history? It was never all slim all the time imho (except for jeans).

Today I'm wearing a button down collar with a shaggy dog sweater and 501 paired with house slippers so I guess edgy looks end not with a bang but with a whimper.
Styleforum has more or less mirrored the trends throughout the years. Some people have vey specific images that are overlayed on top of trends, but even those peoople are influenced. For example, I have had this idea of a more fitted top and looser bottoms since childhood, so say, Cloak 2003-2004 was peak Fok, but looking back at old pieces in my closet, I can see that the bottoms were tighter and lower rise than I would be comfortable now, for a few years in the late mid 00s. And the fit of outerwear in the early 2000s was just looser than in say, 2011, and then it's more in between now. At one point, everything was just tighter all over. Now, some guys are loose all over..

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
savas

133804860_2928074810745213_1230888114804367653_n.jpg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm going to continue spending thousands of dollars on leather jackets, I suppose I should learn something about them. I have commented elsewhere that while my Real McCoy's horsehide A2 appears to have both a density (surface not thickness) and richness to it, some other Real McCoy's horsehides I have handled appear porous and brittle. However, save my recently-acquired A2, I really only have experience with cow and lamb.

Could someone edify me by explaining why certain horsehides, such as below, appear dried-out, despite being supposedly heavily treated and dyed? The below is Shinki horsehide and, I believe, vegetable-tanned.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 9.23.41 PM.png

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not clear to me that it's dried out. It just looks like a close-up photo that shows the grain of the horsehide.

slows2k

Reaction score
Anyone can recommend some non black suede or reverse leather jackets in dark colors?

checked rick and the general stuff we mention. Not sure where to go with this now.

Todd Snyder usually has a range of colors of suede truckers I've always thought looked good: https://www.toddsnyder.com/collections/outerwear/products/suede-dylan-jacket-navy

and Officine Generale usually has a trucker in suede, with seasonal variants. Sometimes with zippers, sometimes with buttons: https://us.officinegenerale.com/en/leathers/3277-liam-jacket-goat-leather.html

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm going to continue spending thousands of dollars on leather jackets, I suppose I should learn something about them. I have commented elsewhere that while my Real McCoy's horsehide A2 appears to have both a density (surface not thickness) and richness to it, some other Real McCoy's horsehides I have handled appear porous and brittle. However, save my recently-acquired A2, I really only have experience with cow and lamb.

Could someone edify me by explaining why certain horsehides, such as below, appear dried-out, despite being supposedly heavily treated and dyed? The below is Shinki horsehide and, I believe, vegetable-tanned.

View attachment 1560678
It's not clear to me that it's dried out. It just looks like a close-up photo that shows the grain of the horsehide.

That's fair, and I think familiarity is probably also at play here – I am not used to horsehide whereas, I assume, you are.

To better demonstrate the comparison I am making as the basis for my question, here is a close-up of the Real McCoy's A2, which is made with horsehide from the same tannery (Shinki) and, I believe, tanned in the same manner (vegetable), but dyed differently.

1614094902587.png

And, not as up-close, here's a random Saint Laurent jacket in, I believe. lamb.

1614095179733.png

To me, the latter two appear more supple, not to mention rich in color. I'm assuming the "richness" is in part due to the dying technique, but that doesn't account for the fact that the latter two appear like they can either withstand wear without breaking (horsehide A2) or stretch (SLP), while the horsehide originally pictured appears like it may tear.

What's not addressed in these photos is the handfeel of these jackets. Having the A2 myself, as well as a lambskin jacket – although not the one pictured above – these feel more flexible and accommodating as compared to horsehides I recently handled that had the appearance of the image above.

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
there's this wonderful invention called leather conditioner that can unsurprisingly moisturizes leather, an animal product that can dry out.

i actually put saphir on my layer-0 leather when i first got it. it made it less "dusty" and more matte. not sure how it was processed to create that dusty effect.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's this wonderful invention called leather conditioner that can unsurprisingly moisturizes leather, an animal product that can dry out.

i actually put saphir on my layer-0 leather when i first got it. it made it less "dusty" and more matte. not sure how it was processed to create that dusty effect.

I am assuming that these companies are not selling a desiccated product and that is instead my misperception of what one should expect of a new horsehide jacket.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg

So this is the non-extreme-close-up photo of the jacket you posted, followed by a photo of the sleeve & cuff.

image.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads