• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, after a bit of delay (about two months late) I finally received my Himel Imperial. Apperently their button hole machine broke down and due to Covid, they had a hard time getting parts.

First let me say, this thing is gorgeous! The medium brown Shinki horse suits the vintage style of this jacket perfectly. I opted for the light colored stitching which really makes the back and side details stand out. The stitching is absolutely beautiful and really pops due to the light thread choice. The vintage camo liner is a cool touch. The brass hardware ties it all together. I don't have to tell you about the smell.

I had sent in an older Levis for Brooks Brothers USA made denim jacket that fits me perfectly. I had to take some pictures wearing that jacket and then send in the jacket with the order so that they could replicate the fit--no measurements were taken. I was nervous about this process as I had never done that before but it worked. I guess they know what they are doing. Jacket came marked as a 42 even though I usually wear a 44.

Jacket is quite stiff but with a half day of wearing has started to break in. Plenty of room in the arms with only a slight tightness at the elbow bend which will relax with wear. Length in body, arms, and shoulders is spot on.

My one complaint / mistake is that I selected and paid extra for a second interior pocket. It came with only one (which is one more than FCL). I wanted two as a general purpose jacket, more pockets make it more practical for travel. I won't send it back for that but do want a refund on the surcharge for the additional pocket.

Overall, I'm happy with this purchase. Yes, it is pricey but you are paying for quality and craftsmanship and not brand. It is a great addition to my lineup of brown leather jackets which now include two Himels and one FCL double rider.

Pics to follow.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to capture the leather with my crappy camera phone. The leather is new and waxy which makes it hard to photograph.

IMG_20201021_151601639.jpg
IMG_20201021_151623433.jpg
IMG_20201021_151647009.jpg
IMG_20201021_151707593.jpg
IMG_20201021_151712551.jpg
IMG_20201021_151807705.jpg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice...
I've been staring at this Horween from my Gustin email. They also have the #8 again.
Crazy good bargain, but once again, I live in Southern California.
I'm sure it would be another purchase where in a year I'd look back in the closet and say "oh yeah, forgot about you"

1603309261657.png

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just incredible @Patek ! Really amazing jacket.. can't wait to see what that looks like with some wear.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like they really nailed the measurements on that one for you. Looks great.

I'm happy with it, I realize that puting my phone on the table facing up distorts things a bit but it really does fit quite perfect without any tightness. I've been wearing it around the house and my mother in law and wife are in love with it. Never got that reaction on any other articles of clothing. I think I can layer a light sweater but I did order cotton and not wool lining as I think it will wear harder and be more wearable here in the south. Probably the nicest piece of clothing that I own.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just incredible @Patek ! Really amazing jacket.. can't wait to see what that looks like with some wear.

Yeah, I need to just wear it every day while WFH. At least the weather here is in the 60s.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit is great, but it looks like the cuffs are backwards.

Here's mine after some wear.

View attachment 1481828
Whoa good eye, my 30's style jacket has cuffs facing in the same direction as yours, as does the Imperial product page. Interesting. If Patek doesn't mind, though, don't see why it would really make any difference off the top of my head.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Baron asked me about this jacket a few days ago so i thought id share a bit about it. i recently picked up another east west musical instruments styled jacket from south paradiso leathers. It is an interpretation of the EWMI Winchester, with the main differences being motorcycle zippers on the sleeves and a straighter collar - although irl the collar has a bit of curvature to it providing some 70s flair. Ive also seen some versions of the Winchester without the elongate 70s collar so this one might be true.

in terms of construction this jacket seems really solid. Its on a par with my repro horsehide from real mccoys, although this jacket is made of cowhide. It feels soft and slightly pebbled with a slight sheen.

I sized up one to a 44 and it fits snug through the arms. One of the issues is that it is unlined, leaving the split side of the leather exposed and increasing the friction on my sleeve when put it on. Its also somewhat cropped and in general just the type of fit that you would expect from a replica leather from the 70s. But overall it fits right.

Natural light
DA159C53-12A4-4581-8FE8-B9CB72097F06.jpeg
D865DAC1-41FA-4F41-886E-7DB273BB8B67.jpeg

indoors
2A0D8563-8121-4AE8-BC1F-F2B68806B07E.jpeg
60A487E7-DA98-41A2-B88A-F4B7234B9808.jpeg
949AB590-EBFD-4A9D-8A88-EEA1608D7DD5.jpeg
46B9B4B1-4E9A-45A6-A581-BCCD206D9780.jpeg
980168E0-8C52-4B91-BB4B-13A24B4C078A.jpeg
D6048EFB-36FE-41E2-9354-5138373B7836.jpeg

South Paradiso was a leather jacket maker based in LA. From the photos ive seen, much of hollywood has one of their leathers. Romulus was at one time the worlds foremost collector of EMWI jackets owning 63 based on a post i saw on an obscure forum while researching the brand. So i thought id reach out. Romulus at SP was exceedingly helpful, and like anyone who works in artisanal craftwork, passionate about his work. SP is currently on hiatus and romulus told me this was his last winchester so i decided to pull the trigger. Not much else to say other than im really happy with this jacket.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Baron asked me about this jacket a few days ago so i thought id share a bit about it. i recently picked up another east west musical instruments styled jacket from south paradiso leathers. It is an interpretation of the EWMI Winchester, with the main differences being motorcycle zippers on the sleeves and a straighter collar - although irl the collar has a bit of curvature to it providing some 70s flair. Ive also seen some versions of the Winchester without the elongate 70s collar so this one might be true.

in terms of construction this jacket seems really solid. Its on a par with my repro horsehide from real mccoys, although this jacket is made of cowhide. It feels soft and slightly pebbled with a slight sheen.

I sized up one to a 44 and it fits snug through the arms. One of the issues is that it is unlined, leaving the split side of the leather exposed and increasing the friction on my sleeve when put it on. Its also somewhat cropped and in general just the type of fit that you would expect from a replica leather from the 70s. But overall it fits right.

Natural light
View attachment 1481932
View attachment 1481933

indoors
View attachment 1481937
View attachment 1481938
View attachment 1481939
View attachment 1481940
View attachment 1481941
View attachment 1481942

South Paradiso was a leather jacket maker based in LA. From the photos ive seen, much of hollywood has one of their leathers. Romulus was at one time the worlds foremost collector of EMWI jackets owning 63 based on a post i saw on an obscure forum while researching the brand. So i thought id reach out. Romulus at SP was exceedingly helpful, and like anyone who works in artisanal craftwork, passionate about his work. SP is currently on hiatus and romulus told me this was his last winchester so i decided to pull the trigger. Not much else to say other than im really happy with this jacket.

Cool jacket, I'd be happy to find one like that, or another one of the more subdued styles vein of classic East West models. I had an EWMI "Drifter" and it was similar to this one. Does it have a hidden pocket in the collar or anywhere else?

I mentioned that Romulus made me a custom jacket about 15 years ago. It never really fit me the way I wanted it to and I ended up getting rid of it a long time ago. I have a good friend that was in that vintage clothing world - he bought and sold several East West jackets and he knew everyone in that world, which is how I met Romulus - he was still "Joel" back then. He's a character.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh dang i should have taken a photo of the collar stash pocket. Yeah romulus is a character. Fun guy. Its a small world!

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I could find one of those east west with the bird collar. I would buy it in a heartbest. **** is wild, I would have it as decoration if nothing else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads