• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you leather hounds had to choose one of the two jackets I posted above, the black leather trucker or shearling piece, which would recommend? I'm thinking both might be a bit much but not sure.

I like the fit of the shearling better, and am a sucker for a nice shearling in general, but I would think shearling serves a very different purpose in the wardrobe than a black leather jacket

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you leather hounds had to choose one of the two jackets I posted above, the black leather trucker or shearling piece, which would recommend? I'm thinking both might be a bit much but not sure.

I like the brown suede jacket on you better, mostly because I think trucker styles look better in suede.

I like the fit of the shearling better, and am a sucker for a nice shearling in general, but I would think shearling serves a very different purpose in the wardrobe than a black leather jacket

I assume that's just a shearling collar, as the body doesn't look bulky.

Lem87

Reaction score
S
Double Rider, Cafe Racer, or Trucker?? Really torn between what style of leather to get.
Then start with the 3 unique collar choices you just referenced. I dont like double breasted styles myself because I think they're too flashy. ( only wear my peacoat for special occasions as a result). Personally Im a fan of your trucker style choice among shirt collared jackets over bombers. That shows some initiative toward expressing what details you like. I'm a cafe racer guy and recently bought the ironheart self edge cafe jacket. What can I say, I really enjoy showing off my bull neck in public. The low snap collar facilitates it. The ironheart actually allows me to show even more neck than I can usually get away with thanks to handy snap-back collar. All joking aside, the collar is a ligitimately good place to start. Work your way down from there.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shearling is a nice fit and is all lined in shearling so to me is a touch bulky, but it’s Saint Laurent style so slim. The black trucker felt like it flowed better, very buttery, but completely different piece you're right.

Last edited:

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S

Then start with the 3 unique collar choices you just referenced. I dont like double breasted styles myself because I think they're too flashy. ( only wear my peacoat for special occasions as a result). Personally Im a fan of your trucker style choice among shirt collared jackets over bombers. That shows some initiative toward expressing what details you like. I'm a cafe racer guy and recently bought the ironheart self edge cafe jacket. What can I say, I really enjoy showing off my bull neck in public. The low snap collar facilitates it. The ironheart actually allows me to show even more neck than I can usually get away with thanks to handy snap-back collar. All joking aside, the collar is a ligitimately good place to start. Work your way down from there.

Interesting way to think about it. I do think the double rider is the coolest and captures the most 'essence' of a leather jacket, but could also end up being the one I would wear the least. My only thing with the Trucker is that it seems the least 'leather jacket-y' of the options, but would probably also be the one I end up wearing the most, which is what matters the most at the end of the day.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shearling is a nice fit and is all lined in shearling so to me is a touch bulky, but it’s Saint Laurent style so slim. The black trucker felt like it flowed better, very buttery, but completely different piece you're right.

The trucker jacket looks fantastic - there's something about the metal buttons and fit right at the bottom that I really like. I'd say to go for the trucker (especially if you have darker hair).

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Understatesman @slows2k
They do function. I have an original men's version with MRS zippers for reference. These open up to an upper and lower pocket by stitching the leather interior right across the middle of the backside of the front panel. Doing so allows for easy horizontal access to items depending on whether you want to unzip the top or bottom zipper. An original women's version (also with MRS zippers) does not have this functionality. The cut is slimmer and the pattern allows for ventilation around the pits. I can't speak with later iterations.

I've had the men's MRS from 2005 and YKK from 2015. Both have the same pocket layout except the older version has leather lined pockets. Aside from looks I prefer the MRS because opening a pocket with one hand is fairly easy, the ykk you have to pull the leather in the opposit direction with your free hand. I find the five zip layout way more useful than rider jackets with horizontal chest pockets which I find fairly unusable.

Xenos

Reaction score
Curious whether anyone has any experience with the Eastman Windward. Good quality? Fit true-to-size?

boot_owl

Reaction score
Shinki Hikaku standard veg tanned horsehide in brown. Jacket by Original80s

openfront.JPG
openleft.JPG
openback.JPG
closedfront.JPG
closedleft.JPG

X post from the Hong Kong Baotou thread on CM. Some adjusted measurements to a standard size. Thoughts?

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mraza

Reaction score
Guys ,
If I have $1000-1200 to spend on leather jacket . I am looking at Aero Broad racer cxl fqhh in brown. As far as broad racer , I was considering highway man but I wanted a different look.

what other leather jacket brand in horsehide I should look into?
Thanks

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys ,
If I have $1000-1200 to spend on leather jacket . I am looking at Aero Broad racer cxl fqhh in brown. As far as broad racer , I was considering highway man but I wanted a different look.

what other leather jacket brand in horsehide I should look into?
Thanks

Simmons-Bilt.

Budd

Reaction score
I have a couple of leather jackets that I'm contemplating letting go, just wanted to see if there's any interest here before I put them up on auction sites:

James Grose black Manila DR (sz 42)
Laer black DR (sz M)
Luxire x Styleforum black moto (size 39)

PM if interested, thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads