• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find myself torn between the Iron Heart Black Battle Horsehide and the FCL Roberts. Anyone wanna add their two cents? I'm not sure I'd like the shoulder gussets on the Iron Heart because they'd just give me more fabric to swim around in back there. And 2mm horsehide in Texas might not be so versatile.

IH is heavier and has a flannel lining so Yeap its gonna be hotter for your region.

The Roberts laughter in both leather and lining. I think if it fits you then you may be better off with the Roberts. Then again it depends on what you want IH is a deeper black and I personally like the way it looks better IRL.

Lem87

Reaction score
I mean, I obviously like the Roberts, but they're two very different jackets to me. The Roberts seems a lot lighter, esp considering the IH heavy flannel lining though I haven't handled it in person. I can't see how that's workable in Texas, but that's just me. The Roberts is more like a light layer and the design is more uncommon vs. the IH as well. I'd say it's slightly less versatile, but in real world practice I doubt it really makes any difference.

Also, SE is doing 15% off the store starting tomorrow.
The flannel lining is not much thicker than the canvas of the original version so dont let that sway you in any way. Its just your average thin but sturdily installed cotton lining
Also worth noting, if the armpit and back panels seem like too much movement (shoulders pull forward excessively), size down. That model on the self edge site is tall and skinny, so he is able to get away with what im guessing is 2 sizes small. The jacket still has length to spare in a small.t just doesnt show there. Compare the original to it for a more accurate idea. The models on Ironheart's site seem to be sized correctly. Only difference between the two jackets is that the self edge version does not have the hem side zippers of the original and that it has a fancy tartan lining. The ironheart as a result of the 2 extra zippers, looks bigger at the waist. Sinnedk has the medium and I decided on the small after trying the medium on (after noting the problem in parentheses above). In fact, the reason the back and armpit panels seem to have so much give is because the shoulders on the jacket are already generously sized. The jacket is still breaking in but over all, I like it so far. Not restrictive at all in spite of my choice to go for a closer fit. Sinned and I both have drastically different body measurements. I think im more of a "tube body" so feel free to ask us about our dimensions, sizing, and fit preferences to help you with your decision.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aero x Thurston Ridley

C71A867A-6D6B-41B3-8010-6D9C8DD07153.jpeg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, just wanted to response to the FCL Roberts talk.

It is a very specific cut and I feel like if it does not work for you there is not much room for fudging. It fits extremely close to the shoulders and back and really everywhere, without any sort of gusset. Thus, unless it is just right I understand why someone would not want it. There is a substantially greater margin of error with my other FCL jacket.

Further, it really is light. I have been wearing it in 70 degree weather comfortably. If you want a heavier jacket, this is not it. But it is outrageously wearable even in SELA.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, I just came across the Roberts pics on SE's Insta. I gotta say, they ain't sitting right with me. Something about the fit on their guy just seems ... off. I can see the "tube" body referred to earlier, and the shoulder fit seems ... roomy on him for some reason. In fact, the sleeves seem long too. Maybe he's sized up when he shouldn't have. Or maybe the jacket just needs to mold to his frame better. I dunno. But this is definitely giving me pause...

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 7.29.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 7.29.38 AM.png

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, I just came across the Roberts pics on SE's Insta. I gotta say, they ain't sitting right with me. Something about the fit on their guy just seems ... off. I can see the "tube" body referred to earlier, and the shoulder fit seems ... roomy on him for some reason. In fact, the sleeves seem long too. Maybe he's sized up when he shouldn't have. Or maybe the jacket just needs to mold to his frame better. I dunno. But this is definitely giving me pause...

View attachment 1469560
View attachment 1469561
I think it's hard to get a sense of the shoulders when his arms are raised in almost every picture. FWIW, the arms for me (size 38, I'm 5'11") hit right at the wrist. If anything they're borderline too short for a moto. I'm 5'11" and 145 lbs, though, so I wouldn't call my frame average.

PS I hate the longer tee under the jacket look, but that's neither here nor there.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^yeah not to pile on the hate, but that wasn't the best modeling of the Roberts IMO.

@Newcomer did a much better job

Joytropics

Reaction score
I love Self Edge but they are the worst about too small syndrome. 95% of their product modeling shots should go up a full size, maybe more.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @kiya are fitting rooms open in your nyc store? If had its closed (at least during its sale), want to make sure there's a point to coming in vs ordering online.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey @kiya are fitting rooms open in your nyc store? If had its closed (at least during its sale), want to make sure there's a point to coming in vs ordering online.

Yes, fitting rooms are open at all stores and all safety measures are taken to quarantine all tried on clothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics