• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The 519 was almost perfect, but I needed another 1.5 inches in body length.

I forget the model numbers, but is this the "modern" Perfecto?

I believe Schott has three main perfectos

- The original
- A slimmed up version for the fashion market, which came with a longer body
- Then a new version that's slim, but has the original length.

Is 519 the second one? I feel like maybe that one could work since it's longer.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll consider a custom jacket, but I really would like a jacket that I could try on and return. It's hard to believe that essentially no-one offers a double rider for someone 6' 3", that isn't THAT tall! The only ones I've found are the Schott 118 and Straight to Hell apparel, which look awful.
For Aero, consider going through Thurston Bros as they will ship out a try on jackets and can adjust the pattern from there.

robabrams84

Reaction score
I forget the model numbers, but is this the "modern" Perfecto?

I believe Schott has three main perfectos

- The original
- A slimmed up version for the fashion market, which came with a longer body
- Then a new version that's slim, but has the original length.

Is 519 the second one? I feel like maybe that one could work since it's longer.

Probably it's the second one, I've never heard them broken down like that. They call the 519 the Waxy Natural 50s Perfecto, and it has a waxier, duller finish with a little less metallic bling on the jacket, so it's more subdued (which I like). Still it's only an inch longer than normal, so not a true tall size. The only two non-custom Schott jackets that come in a long size are the 118 (the classic black Perfecto) and the 141 (cafe racer).

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably it's the second one, I've never heard them broken down like that. They call the 519 the Waxy Natural 50s Perfecto, and it has a waxier, duller finish with a little less metallic bling on the jacket, so it's more subdued. Still it's only an inch longer than normal, so not a true tall size. The only two non-custom Schott jackets that come in a long size are the 118 (the classic black Perfecto) and the 141 (cafe racer).

Makes sense. I think the slightly longer Perfecto is only something like two inches longer, and probably designed for an average height of 5'10". Probably not long enough for someone who's 6'3"

My guess is that you'll probably have to go custom. I share your skepticism of custom-made jackets, although you can mitigate that somewhat by going through a company with try-on jackets. A try-on jacket is basically ready-made jacket that you can try on to see what needs adjusting. I find this makes MTM a lot easier. That said, the more you deviate from the base pattern, the more risk you take. Probably not a big deal to adjust things by an inch here or there, but if you adjust too much, you may throw things off.

Another option is to message members on here who have a similar build as you, and see if they have recommendations. Off the top of my head, you can try gdl203 and Gus (both of those are the user names). Both of those guys are over six feet. I'm sure there are others here who can probably help.

mozi

Reaction score
You should definitely give Aero a try through Thurston
For Aero, consider going through Thurston Bros as they will ship out a try on jackets and can adjust the pattern from there.

I'd strongly recommend Thurston Bros too.

They will send you a fit jacket in your chest size, and they'll ask you to take pictures of the fit. Based on that, they'll recommend alterations. Carrie, who is their main rep, is very experienced and responsive.

The service seems perfect for someone like you. You can try the fit jacket to make sure it looks good everywhere else other than length. If all you need to do is lengthen the jacket, probably not too many ways to screw it up. I'd bet Carrie at Thurston has dealt with people who are 6'3" before.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll consider a custom jacket, but I really would like a jacket that I could try on and return. It's hard to believe that essentially no-one offers a double rider for someone 6' 3", that isn't THAT tall! The only ones I've found are the Schott 118 and Straight to Hell apparel, which look awful.

I've had a really good experience with Aero via Thurston Bros so far (2 jackets). Call them (Thurston Bros) and speak to Carrie before placing an order online. She will get you the right try-on jacket and then will help you with all aspects of fit and customization for your order...(she will also send you leather and lining samples...)

Himel Bros also seems like a great option, but I haven't ordered anything (yet). I did get in contact with them, though, and get the impression they are easy to work with.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried on a FCL Edward (red cupro lining with light zipper tape version) in front of a very dusty mirror. Because of the quilted lining, this would be a jacket for the colder months. So I would like some room for layering and being able to wear the jacket closed without risking damage to any internal organs.

Keeps or flip?

IMG_20200815_114002-01.jpeg
IMG_20200815_114008-01.jpeg
IMG_20200815_114018-01.jpeg
IMG_20200815_114141-01.jpeg
IMG_20200815_114158-01.jpeg

Last edited:

mykii2704

Reaction score

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried on a FCL Edward (red cupro lining with light zipper tape version) in front of a very dusty mirror. Because of the quilted lining, this would be a jacket for the colder months. So I would like some room for layering and being able to wear the jacket closed without risking damage to any internal organs.

Keeps or flip?

View attachment 1441340 View attachment 1441341 View attachment 1441342 View attachment 1441343 View attachment 1441344

Looks great, can't imagine a better fit that leaves room for a sweater

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Keeps or flip?

View attachment 1441340 View attachment 1441341 View attachment 1441342 View attachment 1441343 View attachment 1441344

definitely keep, looks great

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keeps or flip?

Really really good. Really.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for chiming in. Your feedback was the last push I needed to finally make the decision I was leaning towards all along. I really appreciate everyone's help!

Call it buyers remorse or whatever, but I always feel really unsure when deciding on high priced stuff. Even though, in this case, I got the jacket basically brand new for what most Stylefarmers would consider a bargain... :cool:

Here are some pics taken today after yesterdays "Leather Jacket Quick Break In Process™" which imho the FCL HH leather handled very well.

IMG_20200817_092219.jpg

IMG_20200817_091950.jpg

IMG_20200817_092248.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads