• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to change a couple of letters, links to a certain site are banned here

I did not know that linking that site was banned here. Learn something new every day.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'd like those Undercover jackets better if they didn't have video game logos on the back. Those logos look like the icons you click when you're choosing between shooting the enemy or casting a spell.
I don't know anything about the movie but the icons are references from the images I've seen of the movie. The centipede references the main character's insignia. The arrow I don't know. The main character does get shot with a bunch of arrows so it's either a reference to that scene or it's the insignia of the opponent. Since this double rider's design is inspired by the samurai's armor, I'm just going to assume those are insignias by the different samurai factions in the movie.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Throne of Blood is a fantastic movie. You folks, excuse me, guys [1], who haven't seen it should get on it fast.

[1] why is it that "menswear" writing always refers to its audience as one of "guys"? Even the most hoity-toity writer when talking about the height of formality will refer to what "guys" like or are comfortable with or whatever. It's very weird!

kevenmee

Reaction score
Throne of Blood is a fantastic movie. You folks, excuse me, guys [1], who haven't seen it should get on it fast.

[1] why is it that "menswear" writing always refers to its audience as one of "guys"? Even the most hoity-toity writer when talking about the height of formality will refer to what "guys" like or are comfortable with or whatever. It's very weird!

I think about that too, but not sure what you would use to replace it. Lived in the Midwest for the past couple of years and it seems like only midwesterners use folks, so that seems a little weird as well.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think about that too, but not sure what you would use to replace it. Lived in the Midwest for the past couple of years and it seems like only midwesterners use folks, so that seems a little weird as well.

I'm from the midwest, and if I say "folks" I'm referring to parents (e.g., "How are your folks?"). I am much more likely to use "guys" even when referring to a mixed-gender group (e.g., "How are you guys?" when addressing my department at work, which is actually 75% female [perhaps I need to amend this pattern of speech]).

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In this case, "men" would seem to be an option. I suspect that folks (nb, not a midwesterner) don't use it because it seems somehow too formal, even when talking about bespoke dinner jackets. "Guys" has more faux approachability.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Because that's how we talk?

"You men should watch it" sounds weird.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"You men should watch it" sounds weird.

I only noticed it because it stands out in contexts in which it also sounds weird, at least to me. In something like this:

Second, the waist. Guys often try to have this cut very close, as they think it’s more flattering. I know I did when I started.

it strikes me as oddly fussy, where either "men" or even "people" (we know what the implicit domain of discourse is) wouldn't. "You guys should watch it" is much more conversational overall; the Permanent Style prose style isn't—in this case, it also isn't a direct address to the reader, but a comment on what people do (the bare "guys", not even "most guys" or "some guys" or whatever, also strikes me as an odd mix of registers). But, whatever.

malcolmbw

Reaction score
Anyone know of other companies using super thin leather like this for more athletic looking gear? Wonder how it would hold up too

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know of other companies using super thin leather like this for more athletic looking gear? Wonder how it would hold up too

rick owens glass ice leather, thin as paper :p

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a photo of the black Undercover DR outside of the theatrical runway presentation. Even with all the details, the black seems subdued enough for casual wear.

zz-UCZ4205-2_Q01-16.jpg

janoy89

Reaction score
Anyone here that lifts regularly could comment on the fit of Schott's perfecto/double rider? One I'm looking at is the 503, same cut as the famous 3sixteen roughout I believe.

5' 10", 185-190 lbs and usually wear a size large, first place I run into trouble is shoulders/upper back/forearms standard lifter stuff I guess.

Thanks!

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here that lifts regularly could comment on the fit of Schott's perfecto/double rider? One I'm looking at is the 503, same cut as the famous 3sixteen roughout I believe.

5' 10", 185-190 lbs and usually wear a size large, first place I run into trouble is shoulders/upper back/forearms standard lifter stuff I guess.

Thanks!

That’s the 613S in large. I’m the same height as you, and fluctuate between 185-195. Definitely was closer to 195 in that shot. At that weight it was a touch restrictive in the upper back and shoulders, but nothing a little break in didn’t fix. At 185-190 it fits like a glove.

janoy89

Reaction score

That’s the 613S in large. I’m the same height as you, and fluctuate between 185-195. Definitely was closer to 195 in that shot. At that weight it was a touch restrictive in the upper back and shoulders, but nothing a little break in didn’t fix. At 185-190 it fits like a glove.

That's terrific man very helpful thanks! Jacket looks really good on you too

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads