• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I agree on all counts. Customizing the back with an alternate style is an option so...

The Premier Bootlegger is the one I was thinking of. It is trimmer than the more boxy regular bootlegger, has a clean half belt back, and doesn't have the epaulets of the regular bootlegger. Of course it's customizable in any leather and zip variety you want.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks!

I live in Chicago = unzipped not always an option. I think I'm going to skip the duel zip anyhow, though (if it's even an option...).

On another note: I've been through many pages of this thread now and have thus seen many, many DRs (Lancers/Cross zips/whatever...haha...). With a bit of research behind me now, it looks as if nothing off the rack is going to fit me in the sleeves (they will ALL be too long for my preference...). So I'm interested in a version of the cross-zip that is a) not purely a riding jacket, but b) not an overly fashion forward version of the DR trope and c) allowing for customization.

This has led me to the Aero Hooch Hauler.

What do you guys think of it? I mean, I obvs have my opinion, but I'm looking for perspectives that point out what I might be completely overlooking. For example, I like the no belt, no epaulet, minimal pockets and hardware vibe, along with the slim cut and high arm holes (as described by Aero). Thoughts? Too boring in the DR domian? Is it neither fish nor fowl?

I have a fit jacket arriving from Thurston tomorrow and am trying to decide if I should go the Highwayman-unironic-dadcore route, or the Hooch-desperation-flair-(relatively speaking) path? Or both?

For some context, I'd be wearing one or both of these jackets across the denim/Tee/sneakers-through-flannels/turtleneck/chelseas spectrum...

EDIT: the duel zip question was in reference to the Highwayman, not this this secondary question about the merits of the Hooch (awesome band name: Merits of the Hooch)

Personally not that crazy about the models you've posted so far, or the suggestions for pull-up leathers. I think those styles can sometimes look good in an Inspiration LA type fit where the person has a very strong sense of style (e.g. vintage workwear, etc). Other times, it can look very fusty in a Fedora Lounge way (again, sorry to FL guys for the lack of a better description).

You don't strike me as the kind of guy who likes Inspiration LA type looks.

If you're somewhat new to leather jackets, I would buy something off the rack and you can return. Most guys don't need a custom leather jacket as leather jackets don't have to fit like tailored clothing. Try something off the rack and see how you look in it. If it doesn't work out, you can return it. Most custom leathers can't be returned.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guys who wear Aero always look like this:

unnamed.jpg

61zjObl8vFL._AC_SL1341_.jpg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally not that crazy about the models you've posted so far, or the suggestions for pull-up leathers. I think those styles can sometimes look good in an Inspiration LA type fit where the person has a very strong sense of style (e.g. vintage workwear, etc). Other times, it can look very fusty in a Fedora Lounge way (again, sorry to FL guys for the lack of a better description).

You don't strike me as the kind of guy who likes Inspiration LA type looks.

If you're somewhat new to leather jackets, I would buy something off the rack and you can return. Most guys don't need a custom leather jacket as leather jackets don't have to fit like tailored clothing. Try something off the rack and see how you look in it. If it doesn't work out, you can return it. Most custom leathers can't be returned.

Thanks, but the RTW ship sailed. As I mentioned previously sleeves are all too long.

And no, I'm def not an Insp LA dude. I'm a New Yorker recently relocated to Chicago working in various music and visual art scenes (but still mainly working in NYC and Europe when travel resumes...) - which is to say my sense of style is full East Coast Arts = New York School (see musicians, poets, visual artists, etc...) meets Ginsburg/Dylan meets Warhol meets Miles Davis and Sonny Rollins, etc...So kind of all over that map, but with some clear, key intersections.

I'm adding (new) leather now, not because of a previous oversight, but because I was working on other aspects of my wardrobe and was letting my tailored stuff, mainly lots of the more casual, rugged variety - tweeds, cords, etc.. play double duty, with tweed jackets working as casual outerwear as much as anything else...I knew getting a new leather would be a rabbit hole, so I've waited to enter (I have three vintage leathers from the late 60s-mid 70s that I wear, passed on to me from my father...but I want to have jackets that are really "mine" and that I can then pass on...)

Anyway, I've already purchased "an" Aero. The fit jacket comes tomorrow. What remains is precisely "which" to finally prescribe...

I get your point, though, about the aggressive pulled leathers reading as "old" rather than "vintage". I wear a lot of vintage already, so I _think_ it might work for me? Your point is why I have pretty much removed CXL FQHH from the equation. I will likely go with the lighter, more even/sleek dark seal vicenza. I'll only do the super marbled, pull-up Bainbridge if I end up getting a second new jacket.

Anyway, I'll post some pics when I'm able and you can tell me if I'm pulling off something less disastrous than a TFL Boomer trying to look like MacGyver at a rodeo...

BTW...I really like Sonny's jacket here: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/t...ny-rollins-on-the-pandemic-protests-and-music

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyway, I'll post some pics when I'm able and you can tell me if I'm pulling off something less disastrous than a TFL Boomer trying to look like MacGyver at a rodeo...

Just a note, the usual practice here is to post five photos of you wearing the jacket from the front, then another five or six of you wearing the same jacket from the side. If you have other leathers, please repeat.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok here are some quick shots (sorry for the poor lighting!) of the Aero fit jacket I just received. Sorry also @dieworkwear for not adhering to the suggested photo protocol, but I can post some better, more conclusive pictures if these aren't sufficient...

If I had to change anything, it might be to narrow the cuff slightly, but I'm a watch guy, so the present circumference is quite practical.

Please critic style and fit:

IMG_2637.jpg
IMG_2642.jpg
IMG_2646.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2652.jpg
    IMG_2652.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok here are some quick shots (sorry for the poor lighting!) of the Aero fit jacket I just received. Sorry also @dieworkwear for not adhering to the suggested photo protocol, but I can post some better, more conclusive pictures if these aren't sufficient...

If I had to change anything, it might be to narrow the cuff slightly, but I'm a watch guy, so the present circumference is quite practical.

View attachment 1415167 View attachment 1415168 View attachment 1415169 View attachment 1415170

Seems fine, but also kind of what I expected that would look like.

I don't know. Some guys look super cool in those things. Some guys look kind of boring.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1415167 View attachment 1415168 View attachment 1415169 View attachment 1415170

looks fine, def better opened with a color contrast but I personally feel the jacket is too plain in general. I did try it on at SE and that threw me off as well.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems fine, but also kind of what I expected that would look like.

I don't know. Some guys look super cool in those things. Some guys look kind of boring.

Duly noted. Thanks?

Just thinking out loud here, not trying to push back (I really do think I get your point and do appreciate your help): I'm certainly not going for any sort of catwalk vibe, or a pseudo moto look...trying to have a sturdy, versatile, well-fitting jacket. Hoping any ostensible "cool" factor arises more from where, what, how and with whom I do things, but I guess that should go without saying and is as subjective as anything else.

It's interesting - I think one of the things that has drawn me to this particular style is the scarcity of it in my own social constellation in relief to the ubiquitous black rider stuff. In my environment this Aero is actually more of an edgy provocation than the Self Edge stuff that inundates my surroundings (though, I do love that place...get all my denim there and still want a FCL Eric, if the sleeves are right...). I guess my point is that in addition to the complexity of aesthetic subjectivity, there is also the issue of how one navigates the herd mentalities in ones "local" space. In fact, this phenomenon is what drove me toward CM Ivy/Trad stuff as well...anyway...

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like it. I do like the looser cuffs and lack of zipper. I have scratched or been afraid of scratching some nice watches with zippered cuffs.

Need someone to snap some pictures of you, hopefully in some natural light.

Nykwil

Reaction score

View attachment 1415167 View attachment 1415168 View attachment 1415169

Fit looks good, new leather jackets alway look stiff and boxy till they break in.

If you're into the FCL jackets, you can always add rear zip sleeves like their james or more basically a half belt styled leather sport jacket. (Premier Half Belt with sleeve zips) You can pretty much spec any jacket to look like an FCL jacket of any kind.

I personally went with a custom premier highwayman with rear sleeve zips myself.

You can envision any jacket you want. This jacket fits you nicely and when you get yours and start wearing it you'll look like a BAMF.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit looks good, new leather jackets alway look stiff and boxy till they break in.

If you're into the FCL jackets, you can always add rear zip sleeves like their james or more basically a half belt styled leather sport jacket. (Premier Half Belt with sleeve zips) You can pretty much spec any jacket to look like an FCL jacket of any kind.

I personally went with a custom premier highwayman with rear sleeve zips myself.

You can envision any jacket you want. This jacket fits you nicely and when you get yours and start wearing it you'll look like a BAMF.

Thanks. I'm actually contemplating keeping this one. The leather looks great in person and I like the color a lot...my photos suck. I'll try to get some better photos in good light, but we'll see. I don't really know what would make the fit better (after some thought, I'd prefer to leave cuffs as is to allow for watches and sweater cuffs rolled back...).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads