• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
came across this on ig, really off-beat deetz but imo it adds up nicely:

intrigued by the reverse-angled breast pocket, no idea what the hide is (deer?), the zipper gap at the bottom. righteous.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Benesyed :

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Benesyed :

That's cool

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^it's approx $825 after discount too. @Benesyed - I thought you were looking for a blue?

I actually ended up getting a custom AD01 in orange/rust. But thank you!

The kip leather looks dope
Screenshot_20200607-094220_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-094240_Chrome.jpg

verver

Reaction score
Seems like a great deal on that navy blue addict. None in my size though.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_20200607_134529.jpg

SS05 Five Zip in White Calf

Been after an early 00's version of this jacket for a long while so I'm pretty jazzed today. Happy to say it's in great shape for a used garment. Coming from Italy I was slightly concerned about cigarette odor, but surprisingly 15 years after it was made this still has a nice leather smell. The other signs of wear are actually what I would want to achieve with any white leather jacket, just a very subtle darkening of high use points.The leather is in this lovely sweet spot between ultra soft lamb and armor like riding jacket.

In comparison to my newer Five Zip:
My FW08 russet 5 Zip has a very soft while also super thick buttery kind of leather, which is great but also very warm and suited to fairly cold weather. On the other hand the white 5 Zip is thinner than my 08 version and not nearly as soft, but this is not a bad thing. This jacket has the perfect thickness for wearing on cool spring days and some summer nights, and the very slight stiffness gives it a durable feel that has already begun to take on the anatomical shape of the wearer. The MRS zippers aren't just good for looks, they blow the ykk's out of the water. With my 08 iteration I have to pull taught the leather in the opposite direction of the zipper movement, not the end of the world but if you want at a pocket and one hand is occupied you're out of luck. The original MRS zips mean pockets can be opening one handed. Another difference is the OG Five Zip has leather lined external pockets, the 08's pockets are simply made from cotton. The construction of the original just has more complex patterning choices that combine to make the jacket look simpler and cleaner than the slightly clunkier detailing of the sequel. Overall the older five zips just feels like it was built with the goals of utility and getting a decade of wear out of it, while the newer version feels more lux and fashion-y with a shorter shelf life. That said basically every five zip is different in some way from material to construction to fit so this is a very specific comparison.

This jacket fits me in a way that very closely matches early Margiela look books, that is to say slightly slouchy/boxy with fairly long sleeves. Honestly the sleeves on this are probably a touch long (not obvious in the above pic) but i'm not gonna fuss over that. Id honestly rather have a slightly longer sleeve than some of those super short sleeves that come out of Japan.

All in all i'm in love.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The plant hanger looks like a question mark above your head, like I've gotta turn in a quest or something.

I heard a noise from down the hall... Not sure why there a cardboard box just lying there...

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads