• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So in winter 2021, FCL is gonna bring us their plagi... eh, I mean, "hommage" of Freewheelers Mulholland:

View attachment 1398454

That's really questionable in my books but since brands like Addict and Fine Creek have devout followers around these parts, I leave it at that.
I think you are being stubborn just to be stubborn. For what its worth freewheelers looks dope. Perhaps @sinnedk 's next leather purchase :D

nah I want the Roberts, that jacket looks cool but I don’t think it’s for me

Crit_Obs

Reaction score
I'm saying that your argument picks an arbitrary and unreasonable point to decide that something is too similar, especially given that both companies are aimed at making reproductions. The biggest difference, ironically is that they used different leather hides and different dying techniques. You'd think the difference in actual leather hides and processing would be one of they key differences to look at

Nah, I (obviously) don't think the point is arbitrary but I do agree, hide is the 2nd most important variable after fit... But the choice and positioning of hardware are what define the look.

I knew my musings on the topic would hardly resonate with the regulars here but as a positive and perhaps welcome contribution, I posted a picture of a Fine Creek jacket with no previous appearances in this thread (I think). Now that I'm on a roll, I might even be back with fit-pics of the Freewheelers (original) one of these days.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caught a fit pic on RMC London of that Cooper jacket:

real mccoys cooper.jpg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this thread went totally sideways.

I insist that all pants are ripoffs of barbarian horsemen and we need to go back to classical menswear like the tunic. I'm so sick of all this imitation.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Mulholland is still essentially a 30's style sport jacket/half belt, its not that 'unique' of a design compared to Freewheelers other leather togs jackets. Its a simple design executed very well (I still prefer the Caboose, but I'll take a Mulholland) but hardly unique to me.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Human skin is the original "leather" and everyone putting a different leather over their natural leather is a poseur

The Horse I ride has his own whole fell: strip him of the girths and flaps and extraneous tags I have fastened round him, and the noble creature is his own sempster and weaver and spinner; nay his own boot-maker, jeweller, and man-milliner; he bounds free through the valleys, with a perennial rain-proof court-suit on his body; wherein warmth and easiness of fit have reached perfection; nay, the graces also have been considered, and frills and fringes, with gay variety of color, featly appended, and ever in the right place, are not wanting. While I—good Heaven!—have thatched myself over with the dead fleeces of sheep, the bark of vegetables, the entrails of worms, the hides of oxen or seals, the felt of furred beasts; and walk abroad a moving Rag-screen, overheaped with shreds and tatters raked from the Charnel-house of Nature, where they would have rotted, to rot on me more slowly! Day after day, I must thatch myself anew; day after day, this despicable thatch must lose some film of its thickness; some film of it, frayed away by tear and wear, must be brushed off into the Ashpit, into the Laystall; till by degrees the whole has been brushed thither, and I, the dust-making, patent Rat-grinder, get new material to grind down. O subter-brutish! vile! most vile! For have not I too a compact all-enclosing Skin, whiter or dingier? Am I a botched mass of tailors' and cobblers' shreds, then; or a tightly articulated, homogeneous little Figure, automatic, nay alive?

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least according to internet rumor Freewheelers have Yakuza connections so I'm sure they have recourse if for some reason they feel aggrieved at a fairly generic 30's sports jacket style being ripped off lol

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean this sincerely: stupid arguments are the best feature of this thread. Literally don't care about leather jackets; only here for stupid arguments.

What's your preference? Participate in stupid arguments or sit back and watch the fun?

I value your opinion and need a new, less costly hobby than buying leather jackets.

TIL we've been wasting so much time over here ruminating about pocket placements while the guys over at FDL have been busting out the freon and fish scales to weigh all their jackets.

View attachment 1398813

That seem so silly until I realize I commented about a reviewer who doesn't check his backgrounds in photos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads