• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just always assumed FCL used Shinki. They may not use it exclusively but they definitely have used Shinki.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CA harvest japan has the Roberts available "1.3㎜ thick, fine Nordic horsehide" that sounds neat.

Jacket really reminds me of an RO intarsia though which is most likely why I like it.

a75dd89c6a8f84c6dfc6.jpg

skyfall

Reaction score
The leather texture of each sleeve and each front panel looks very different. Crinkled/pebbled vs smooth. Is this just apparent in the photo or?
It is also apparent in real life

skyfall

Reaction score
CA harvest japan has the Roberts available "1.3㎜ thick, fine Nordic horsehide" that sounds neat.

Jacket really reminds me of an RO intarsia though which is most likely why I like it.

a75dd89c6a8f84c6dfc6.jpg

The Roberts is a repro of Vanson Race Jacket
9rjv-1.jpg
9rjv-0.jpg

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shinki use horsehide from Poland for tanning. Also Shinki is based in Himeji, although there are other tanneries there too. I don't know if FCL uses Shinki or one of the other tanneries there (maybe Kiya or someone knows).

Himeji huh? Can I get a jacket with the Himeji mascot on it?

himeji-shiromaruhime.jpg

leisurewear

Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger after having too much time at home on this thread. Was going back and forth between this jacket which I’ve had my eye on for a few months and a black horsehide dr. Aero for Thurston Bro’s Buco J100 in natural Vicenza. First legit leather I’ve owned and excited to see how the patina develops. Nothing spectator allowed right out the box but last picture is the same leather after a year of occasional wear that I found on Instagram. Overall like the fit.
9C1AD9BA-1101-4D00-AEA5-A1BE3204DBB4.jpeg

4E088F32-EB29-48F8-B511-282B385D2827.jpeg

initial color in direct sunlight
5238A01C-B911-4498-80B9-F0A4E8E393C7.jpeg

F5E5A4C5-70A0-4D09-BF63-7BD752CE0E66.png

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger after having too much time at home on this thread. Was going back and forth between this jacket which I’ve had my eye on for a few months and a black horsehide dr. Aero for Thurston Bro’s Buco J100 in natural Vicenza. First legit leather I’ve owned and excited to see how the patina develops. Nothing spectator allowed right out the box but last picture is the same leather after a year of occasional wear that I found on Instagram. Overall like the fit.
View attachment 1368579

View attachment 1368578

initial color in direct sunlight
View attachment 1368580

View attachment 1368581

This looks great. Curious what the difference is between this and getting something straight from Aero; I have something similar on the way from them in natural CXL

leisurewear

Reaction score
This looks great. Curious what the difference is between this and getting something straight from Aero; I have something similar on the way from them in natural CXL

don’t think there should be much difference, think they’re just a vendor that has a handful of stock on hand and do custom fittings as well. Thurston has some photos of the natural cxl on their Instagram. Color looks great, just wanted something lighter in weight

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads