• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vickt

Reaction score
I should probably just sell all my other leathers.

973311E4-58E9-4918-88CD-C22826DDC705.jpeg

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good rule of thumb is that if you hear a cute just-so story about etymology, it isn't true.

afaik humans also don't produce lanolin, so ?

but then again what does any of this have to do with anything?

SLAB

Reaction score
Not a very popular design but still great imo; Addict Clothes Resistance

Attachments

• IMG_20200319_123049_927.jpg
    IMG_20200319_123049_927.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 153

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought it from Shibui (link below). They used to be in NYC, but they've moved a few times. I don't know where they're currently located, but I bought mine via mail order. They also don't have their full inventory on their site. If you tell them your budget and what you're looking for, they may be able to send you snapshot photos (that's what they did for me). I also found that you can negotiate with them a little on price.

IMO, if you get a boro fabric, think about how the pattern will lay into the garment. Many of these fabrics are very big and meant to cover futons. Only a small part will go into your jacket. I think it's nice if you can find something with enough patchwork and detailing where you see the detailing in the jacket, so it's not just one big thing of blue fabric. A lot of that will depend on the placement of the patches on the cloth itself. Fabrics with patches only on the outer edge prob aren't that useful for this project.

Oh, and check on the thickness. You obviously don't want something that's super thick cause it'll distort the fit of your jacket.

Traditional African and Middle Eastern fabrics might also be good for this sort of project. I've thought about lining field jackets with African indigo or mud cloth.

View attachment 1362205

View attachment 1362206
View attachment 1362203

View attachment 1362207

Fantastic post, thanks brother.

My girlfriend has been nonstop cleaning during this quarantine, and found a stash of vintage silk scarfs she was going to use for some project, now i'm contemplating turning those into a jacket lining. Approximately how much fabric does it take to reline a jacket in the size 42-44 range?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fantastic post, thanks brother.

My girlfriend has been nonstop cleaning during this quarantine, and found a stash of vintage silk scarfs she was going to use for some project, now i'm contemplating turning those into a jacket lining. Approximately how much fabric does it take to reline a jacket in the size 42-44 range?

Unfortunately don't remember. It'll depend on the width of the fabric, however. Prob best to check with your tailor. For patchwork fabric, I assume you can also add patches where you need.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno if the conversation is derailed but I use mustang paste to condition my leathers twice a year (before I store them for the summer, after I take them out)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads