• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lexol? I remember that being recommended for shoes here on SF about 10 years ago...

So, for a shearling jacket, are there any recommended products for maintenance and maybe for protection for when you get caught in the rain? Or is it best just to go with the guidelines like the ones here, that doesn't seem to advocate anything like that? (The one I have is smooth on the outside, not rough as the ones in that link, if that makes a difference.)

I wouldn't do much with it unless you "need" to. Because of the nature of the hide, the outer skin side still has the hair attached. The underside (which is the outside of the jacket) is split flesh. They can do some finish work on it, but not a high heat stamp like you would see on a top grain leather. Because of this, the finish on the flesh side is not as robust as leather and often why its brushed into suede.

*edit* Lexol is good enough stuff, and I use it in my shop. I still prefer pure neatsfoot or pure lanolin.

-DL

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sun is also a factor. If you leave untreated leather in the sun it will darken or tan, which is where the process (tanning) gets its name.

Let me know if you want to hear about "piss poor".

-DL

I assume that comes from the practice of using piss at tanneries?

I've also read about the tradition of using piss in making woad, as well as fulling wool. YouTube has some good videos of women singing waulking songs. (I don't know if this specific one involves pee, but the song is pretty)

Lexol? I remember that being recommended for shoes here on SF about 10 years ago...

So, for a shearling jacket, are there any recommended products for maintenance and maybe for protection for when you get caught in the rain? Or is it best just to go with the guidelines like the ones here, that doesn't seem to advocate anything like that? (The one I have is smooth on the outside, not rough as the ones in that link, if that makes a difference.)

I also don't do anything to shearling. Or really anything for leather jackets. I've sprayed suede jackets with a waterproofer though just to avoid stains.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol crazy

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, poor families would collect their urine and men would come round from tanneries to pick it up. Hence "piss-poor" is a level of poverty one step above "without a pot to piss in."

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've also read about the tradition of using piss in making woad, as well as fulling wool. YouTube has some good videos of women singing waulking songs. (I don't know if this specific one involves pee, but the song is pretty)

I also don't do anything to shearling. Or really anything for leather jackets. I've sprayed suede jackets with a waterproofer though just to avoid stains.

Yup. If you were "piss poor" your only means of income was to sell your piss to the tanner. If you didn't have a pot to piss in, you were even worse off.

Quoddy sells a conditioner for their shoes made with bear fat. You use your bare (no pun intended) hand to work it in as the heat from your skin and the friction allows it to break down and work deeper into the leather. At least that is what I was told, not 100% sold on that theory.

-DL

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun is also a factor. If you leave untreated leather in the sun it will darken or tan, which is where the process (tanning) gets its name.

-DL

This is not true. Tanning gets its meaning from the word “tan” which was the crushed oak bark which was used to vegetable tan leather. That same word also gave us ‘tannin’.

Tanning meaning to turn dark from the sun came much later.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much else to do lately so I will post some recent pics. Wested Raiders Hero in Prague, late February.

4D58F998-6909-4E2F-9CFE-9B43D169DA43.jpeg

BF177721-D553-4269-A12C-8860AC99500A.jpeg

Here’s a new Aero x Thurston Bros custom Ridley in dark seal Vicenza and antique brass hardware waiting for me at my sister’s house.

Don’t mind her poor photo skills

A241D9C8-124D-493F-B2EB-FD4DEC9E735C.jpeg

Looking forward to getting this on and broken in once this mess is over.
I also have an Aero August in battered tan horsehide and a Bill Kelso Raiders on order.

Last edited:

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not true. Tanning gets its meaning from the word “tan” which was the crushed oak bark which was used to vegetable tan leather. That same word also gave us ‘tannin’.

Tanning meaning to turn dark from the sun came much later.

The "piss poor" etymology is also false. (The earliest use recorded in the OED comes from … 1945.) cf. http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pis1.htm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads