• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep, I'd be an XL i think.
But after seeing it there I just don't like the small-ish collar. Or maybe it's just folded weird. I don't know DRs aren't really my thing anyway.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2nd hand or large sizes occasionally. 316 x Schott sells out quick but they do pop up.

I personally wasn't a fan of the CXL leather it felt a bit dry to the touch but I am not hating on I it at all its a great jacket and I'd consider it had I not had 4 riders.

Actually thats why i conditioned the **** out of the leather

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every now and then Ralph Lauren makes suede safari jackets or similar. Sometimes with a belt, sometimes without. So does Craftsman Clothing, who does MTM as well.

The Craftsman Clothing Hemingway Safari jacket may be just the ticket. Thanks.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear what are your suggestions for caring for the addict. I was just gonna mustang paste it once a year

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear what are your suggestions for caring for the addict. I was just gonna mustang paste it once a year

What's mustang paste?

Some of the guys at Fedora Lounge recommend using Peccard dressing for various types of leather. For coated leathers, lambskins, and goatskins, it's usually recommended to use a small amount of Peccard's Leather Lotion. For oil-tanned horsehide or cowhide, you're supposed to use a light coat of their Waterproof Dressing.

Some guys also recommend using a leather care product designed for leather car seats, but I can't remember the name of the product at the moment.

You're supposed to apply this like you would apply lotion to shoes: apply a light coat, then buff off the excess with a lint-free cloth. Supposedly, this helps keep the leather supple.

That said:

1. I once applied Allen Edmonds' leather condition to a leather jacket and it ended up feeling sticky and had an unpleasant smell. I think some of the fragrances put into normal shoe-care leather lotions can smell too powerful when you spread it over a jacket. I ended up having to send the jacket to a specialty cleaner because I would get the smell off.

2. I'm not sure leather jackets really need conditioner. In fact, I'm not that sure leather shoes need it all that often. I've had small leather goods stay untreated for 10+ years, and it was only after that they needed some lotion. With a leather jacket, I imagine it would take a very long time for it to dry out.

If I were out vintage hunting and saw a dried-out leather jacket, I might buy it on the assumption that I can restore it. But I don't know if I would do anything to treat a new leather jacket.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's mustang paste?

Some of the guys at Fedora Lounge recommend using Peccard dressing for various types of leather. For coated leathers, lambskins, and goatskins, it's usually recommended to use a small amount of Peccard's Leather Lotion. For oil-tanned horsehide or cowhide, you're supposed to use a light coat of their Waterproof Dressing.

Some guys also recommend using a leather care product designed for leather car seats, but I can't remember the name of the product at the moment.

You're supposed to apply this like you would apply lotion to shoes: apply a light coat, then buff off the excess with a lint-free cloth. Supposedly, this helps keep the leather supple.

That said:

1. I once applied Allen Edmonds' leather condition to a leather jacket and it ended up feeling sticky and had an unpleasant smell. I think some of the fragrances put into normal shoe-care leather lotions can smell too powerful when you spread it over a jacket. I ended up having to send the jacket to a specialty cleaner because I would get the smell off.

2. I'm not sure leather jackets really need conditioner. In fact, I'm not that sure leather shoes need it all that often. I've had small leather goods stay untreated for 10+ years, and it was only after that they needed some lotion. With a leather jacket, I imagine it would take a very long time for it to dry out.

If I were out vintage hunting and saw a dried-out leather jacket, I might buy it on the assumption that I can restore it. But I don't know if I would do anything to treat a new leather jacket.

This all depends on the finish of the leather, how often the leather gets wet (sweat or rain/snow) and how often you handle it.

We produce small amounts of lanolin in our skin and when you handle a piece of leather often, you are essentially conditioning it each time. If you ever played beer pong in college you might have used "nose grease" to knock down the foam on a solo cup of keg beer, its the same stuff. You can wipe your forehead with a piece of leather and condition it.

This is likely why smaller pieces like wallets and key fobs need conditioning less often, plus they see less moisture than coats or shoes. I suppose you could condition your jacket that way, however, you would need one a hell of a forehead to pull that off.

I like pure neatsfoot oil (cheap and easy to find) or pure lanolin (expensive and harder to find). A very little amount worked in with a t-shirt rag and some pressure. As always YMMV and test a spot on the inside first. The pressure is more important than you would think.

-DL

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This all depends on the finish of the leather, how often the leather gets wet (sweat or rain/snow) and how often you handle it.

We produce small amounts of lanolin in our skin and when you handle a piece of leather often, you are essentially conditioning it each time. If you ever played beer pong in college you might have used "nose grease" to knock down the foam on a solo cup of keg beer, its the same stuff. You can wipe your forehead with a piece of leather and condition it.

This is likely why smaller pieces like wallets and key fobs need conditioning less often, plus they see less moisture than coats or shoes. I suppose you could condition your jacket that way, however, you would need one a hell of a forehead to pull that off.

I like pure neatsfoot oil (cheap and easy to find) or pure lanolin (expensive and harder to find). A very little amount worked in with a t-shirt rag and some pressure. As always YMMV and test a spot on the inside first. The pressure is more important than you would think.

-DL

That's a good point. I've noticed that small, untreated leathers get dark easily from handling, which I assume is also an effect of your hands "conditioning" it.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. I've noticed that small, untreated leathers get dark easily from handling, which I assume is also an effect of your hands "conditioning" it.

Sun is also a factor. If you leave untreated leather in the sun it will darken or tan, which is where the process (tanning) gets its name.

Let me know if you want to hear about "piss poor".

-DL

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasnt planning on conditioning it any time soon the jacket looks pretty nice and slick/oiled. Im pretty sure addict is oiled horse. I just meant if i noticed it starting to become dry over the next few months what to do to keep it nice and buttery appearing.

On a different note i think after wearing it for 5 days straight pretty much its starting to break in just a little. im hoping over time the shoulder softens so that it is less stiffly perched up and the sleeves can slide down my wrist more, ditto the arm holes streching a bit!

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lexol? I remember that being recommended for shoes here on SF about 10 years ago...

So, for a shearling jacket, are there any recommended products for maintenance and maybe for protection for when you get caught in the rain? Or is it best just to go with the guidelines like the ones here, that doesn't seem to advocate anything like that? (The one I have is smooth on the outside, not rough as the ones in that link, if that makes a difference.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads