• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I feel like its big in chest/shoulders based on your pics and maybe you can go a size down? If I am mistaking and that just the fit then the jacket will look fine after some wear.

in the rivet + hide pic notice near the armpits and chest area there seems to be less room
dsc01401.jpg

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my vintage Schott today while running to get supplies for my cat (a very rugged activity).

The back is punctured because I sometimes hang this on the end of a chair. Realize most people wouldn't want this on a lambskin or shearling, but I don't think it's a big deal on a Schott.

View attachment 1359520

Loose grain wrinkling under the sleeve.

View attachment 1359521

Cuffs are dried and cracked.

View attachment 1359522

The jacket also has a mismatched grain, as you see on Fine Creek Leather jackets. The left panel has some weird grain. The right panel is smooth.

View attachment 1359524

When I first bought this jacket, I had a tailor replace the lining with boro fabric. I bought the fabric from a Japanese antiques dealer in NYC, who told me the fabric is from the early 20th century, but who really knows if that's true. The fabric has since developed a hole.

View attachment 1359525

I know I've posted these pics here before, but here they are again. Back is "autographed" by Colossus of Roads, a folk art hero of mine when I was a teen. He used to paint graffiti on railcars.

View attachment 1359532
View attachment 1359530
View attachment 1359531
View attachment 1359533

I think those heavy leathers look better when they're old and beat-up. If you're anything like me, you're basically a desk warrior who never moves. I imagine whatever damage you can put into the jacket is a good thing.

I hang all my clothes. There are guys on the Fedora Lounge forum who also treat their leathers in the way Lem describes above. They don't hang them. They only lay them on a chair or something. They cover them in dust bags and condition them. I don't get it, tbh. I just can't imagine having a jacket take up that much space, like on my floor, or dedicating a chair to jacket storage.

On a fine lambskin jacket, I get that you don't want a bump though. I looked at my NMWA hanger today and the shoulder is totally smooth. Do you have a metal thing coming up from the top?

Id like to change out the lining on my schott as well, did a tailor in NYC do that for you?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warned you!
have all seen the threat of automation (in my very first job, I wrote code that end up taking out bunch manual crap done by others, and it was disgusting dumb code), but who says it has to be this way.
A bit too big for my taste. Sorry buddy.
Agreed with @hoodog. You should send it to me.
Looks great imo, once it softens up a bit the leather will drape much better
I feel like its big in chest/shoulders based on your pics and maybe you can go a size down? If I am mistaking and that just the fit then the jacket will look fine after some wear.

in the rivet + hide pic notice near the armpits and chest area there seems to be less room
dsc01401.jpg

I'm thinking it may be too big - less so in the chest, or even the shoulders, more so in the length of the arms. I do not think I could go down a size under any circumstance. I am pretty hippy, and the jacket sits pretty taught around my hips.

Honestly, it fits pretty similar to this:

1585342041701.png

Honestly, leaning towards offloading it right now. I'd be happy to cut you a deal @Patrick R.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bay Area. I think I paid about 100 bucks or so for the work?
Gotcha, I dont mind paying for good work, just gotta find the right guy to do it. Where did you source that boro fabric if you dont mind my asking?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gotcha, I dont mind paying for good work, just gotta find the right guy to do it. Where did you source that boro fabric if you dont mind my asking?

Bought it from Shibui (link below). They used to be in NYC, but they've moved a few times. I don't know where they're currently located, but I bought mine via mail order. They also don't have their full inventory on their site. If you tell them your budget and what you're looking for, they may be able to send you snapshot photos (that's what they did for me). I also found that you can negotiate with them a little on price.

IMO, if you get a boro fabric, think about how the pattern will lay into the garment. Many of these fabrics are very big and meant to cover futons. Only a small part will go into your jacket. I think it's nice if you can find something with enough patchwork and detailing where you see the detailing in the jacket, so it's not just one big thing of blue fabric. A lot of that will depend on the placement of the patches on the cloth itself. Fabrics with patches only on the outer edge prob aren't that useful for this project.

Oh, and check on the thickness. You obviously don't want something that's super thick cause it'll distort the fit of your jacket.

Traditional African and Middle Eastern fabrics might also be good for this sort of project. I've thought about lining field jackets with African indigo or mud cloth.

tumblr_inline_ntm4hoLJ311qfex1b_500.jpg

d72d70597ec8e41a6bcfbf433d23cd5b.jpg

2ccceae06a83d69c33bf76da6c44e711.jpg

il_794xN.1784422807_n9rv.jpg

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JPEG_20200328_103930.jpg

This thing is ******* awesome. It's pretty darn substantial. I think if it was any thicker I would be deterred from wearing it out of laziness

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope u sprayed jacket down w Lysol before u put it on! Nice fit

Haha I didn't but it took 3 days to get to me so probably no Corona on it and I wanted my hands after I took it off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads