• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I’ve never handled a FCL jacket.

Am I the only one who thinks that the FCL jackets look great in product shots because of the worn in look (whatever predistressing they do for those), but are less impressive in photos where they are brand new?

Don’t get me wrong, they still look great, but not moreso than other nice jackets in this thread. All leather jackets look better well worn, that’s part of their appeal and I guess we all agree on that.

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I the only one who thinks that the FCL jackets look great in product shots because of the worn in look (whatever predistressing they do for those), but are less impressive in photos where they are brand new?

Don’t get me wrong, they still look great, but not moreso than other nice jackets in this thread. All leather jackets look better well worn, that’s part of their appeal and I guess we all agree on that.

I don't understand what the point of this post is

As you said, a leather jacket is always going to look better worn. That is especially true for heavier leathers, so it shouldn't be surprising that 2mm thick horsehide looks a bit boring when it's brand new

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think this was a marketing strategy by FCL to appeal to a certain type of buyer and it worked. I think it was great to see what can happen before I committed to buy the jacket.

this is particularly true for the Eric which looks super plain at first but some wear leads to great rewards

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 12.10.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 12.13.51 PM.png

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand what the point of this post is

As you said, a leather jacket is always going to look better worn. That is especially true for heavier leathers, so it shouldn't be surprising that 2mm thick horsehide looks a bit boring when it's brand new

The point I think is clear but anyway: FCL are great at marketing, compared to other brands. It doesn’t mean their product is superior.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The point I think is clear but anyway: FCL are great at marketing, compared to other brands. It doesn’t mean their product is superior.

Depends on what you are comparing it to.

But also who said anything about superior?

I refrain from having a “superior” jacket conversation because you are never really going to get a good answer out of this. It comes down to what you end up liking and personal tastes.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you are comparing it to.

I refrain from having a “superior” jacket conversation because you are never really going to get a good answer out of this. It comes down to what you end up liking and personal tastes.

Oh I fully agree. Regarding your first point, “depends on what you’re comparing it to”. Nothing in particular, other brands at Self Edge, for example (IH, TFH). It seems to me that FCL gets a disproportionate coverage here IMO when I compare like for like (i.e. not distressed vs brand new), that’s all.

PS def not looking for an argument, just an observation in a thread that it’s about leather jackets, but if someone is going to get butthurt (not you sinnedk) I’ll shut up.

PS I’m re-reading my first post above. Does it really call for an argument? God forbid I say the jackets look less impressive (not ugly; not terrible; just less impressive) when not in product shots (but still great and while praising their marketing). If someone took that as an attack to their brand of choice, it wasn’t. It was more in defense of other brands, actually.

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I fully agree. Regarding your first point, “depends on what you’re comparing it to”. Nothing in particular, other brands at Self Edge, for example (IH, TFH). It seems to me that FCL gets a disproportionate coverage here IMO when I compare like for like (i.e. not distressed vs brand new), that’s all.

PS def not looking for an argument, just an observation in a thread that it’s about leather jackets, but if someone is going to get butthurt (not you sinnedk) I’ll shut up.

PS I’m re-reading my first post above. Does it really call for an argument? God forbid I say the jackets look less impressive when not in product shots (but still great). If someone took that as an attack to their brand of choice, it wasn’t. It was more in defense of other brands, actually.

FCL is the brand de jour in this thread, so don't get surprised if you catch flac for questioning them.

Imho some of the FCL stuff looks great, but it's not something incredible by any means.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

PS I’m re-reading my first post above. Does it really call for an argument? God forbid I say the jackets look less impressive when not in product shots (but still great). If someone took that as an attack to their brand of choice, it wasn’t. It was more in defense of other brands, actually.

I didnt find your comment argumentative at all, its a forum and we are having a discussion so ymmv.

Re disproportionate coverage, This is happening because of several key factors:
1. FCL is a newer brand (or rebranded from something else I forget)
2. Several members including myself and @UrbanComposition picked up an FCL which lead to more conversation.

In fact @UrbanComposition can probably compare FCL vs TFH,

From my end, IH and FCL don't compare at all. IH is fantastic well made, not a thread out of place but FCL has more weight and nicer leather. The only things I can compare to FCL from is 316 x Schott, IH, Rick Owens, TOJ and I do like FCL better.

Recently a friend of mine came in a kangaroo CCP high neck to a bar and was impressed by FCL leather.

At the end the point is you are getting a very nice leather on a classic rider with a modern-fish cut.

Can you get this elsewhere and mildly cheaper, you sure can.

But me walking into a store, trying a jacket on and making a decision in person to buy it or not is fairly priceless because it avoids the back and forth returns.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Feeling a lot of power right now surge through my postmodernism body

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads