• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want a big sturdy collar like that but I'd probably look bad irl

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, someone posted a Shinki Dark Brown Himel Kensington size 42 on the bay yesterday at no reserve auction starting at $99. Interested to see what it ends up at.

Here's another shot of the one I found earlier this year (the mannequin isn't a true 36, more like a 38-39). Also posted a review of it in my sig, with more details and some classic robo pose.

View attachment 1344467

That's nice. Not my look put nice!

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback on what cut/style I should look for in a leather jacket, fully acknowledging that I might be chasing an impossible dream here. I'd like something three season-ish that I can layer a sweater under in fall/spring (50ish-mid 60s), but that I can wear over a t-shirt in warmer weather without it looking boxy or billowy. Do I just need two separate jackets or is there something that will satisfy for both?

Lem87

Reaction score
Look at regular, not slim cuts available in your size. Buy snug and uncomfortable, but not binding. Break it in. Layer, once its soft enough. Ignore these rules and you wont like the look.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback on what cut/style I should look for in a leather jacket, fully acknowledging that I might be chasing an impossible dream here. I'd like something three season-ish that I can layer a sweater under in fall/spring (50ish-mid 60s), but that I can wear over a t-shirt in warmer weather without it looking boxy or billowy. Do I just need two separate jackets or is there something that will satisfy for both?
I might just run warm, but to me, 50-60s is light jacket weather and wouldn't warrant all that different weight in layering for the bay area. Are there any particular styles that catch your eye?

I personally wouldn't buy anything that's uncomfortable, though. Ignore these rules and you will face eternal damnation.

Lem87

Reaction score
I might just run warm, but to me, 50-60s is light jacket weather and wouldn't warrant all that different weight in layering for the bay area. Are there any particular styles that catch your eye?

I personally wouldn't buy anything that's uncomfortable, though. Ignore these rules and you will face eternal damnation.
What I meant by that is let a close fit mold to you and consider if the jacket hurts and restricts motion intolerably before sizing up. Look for my pictures and read the posts to see what I am describing

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I suppose it depends on the thickness of the sweater, but I think a single leather jacket can work in that temp range.

Cut and style seem to be more about your style preferences though. I have trim Margiela jackets that I can layer in a very lightweight knit. Then roomier bomber jackets where I can wear something heavier. But those are dramatically different styles. Depends on the rest of your wardrobe and preferences.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blouson-style jacket in lamb or split suede

happyriverz

Reaction score
Big Cell Energy:

IS5_0356.jpg

latest

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on the thickness of the sweater, but I think a single leather jacket can work in that temp range.

Cut and style seem to be more about your style preferences though. I have trim Margiela jackets that I can layer in a very lightweight knit. Then roomier bomber jackets where I can wear something heavier. But those are dramatically different styles. Depends on the rest of your wardrobe and preferences.

Maybe I mistranslated from Celsius. I tend to think of a leather jacket as warm enough in the 60s but not 60. 10-15 celsius seems like sweater+jacket weather, although it's possible with heavier leathers and maybe flannels over thinner cottons one jacket is enough? I should mention that it rains a lot where I am.

I guess my struggle is that I tend to prefer trimmer, minimalist fits. I don't like how paunchy I look in most bombers when they're done up. Maybe they would work ok if I went MTM? But everything I've tried off the rack I've had to size up in the chest which gives me a lot of extra material at the waist which kind of folds or billows forward at the stomach.

Lem87

Reaction score
Oh ok specifics help. Ever think about trying brands cut in a rider's V so that the jacket can comfortably be worn, while reaching handlebars? See if you like anything vanson makes. It seems their cuts look like something you maybe interested in. Extra bulk tends to be complemented by such a look as it doesnt leave you looking as barrel chested if that is what you are hoping for in a leather jacket.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh ok specifics help. Ever think about trying brands cut in a rider's V so that the jacket can comfortably be worn, while reaching handlebars? See if you like anything vanson makes. It seems their cuts look like something you maybe interested in. Extra bulk tends to be complemented by such a look as it doesnt leave you looking as barrel chested if that is what you are hoping for in a leather jacket.

Looking through their catalogue I don't find anything really appealing. Some of their cafe racers are ok. It doesn't help that every single model looks like a different version of a guy I'm trying not to turn into.

Lem87

Reaction score
Looking through their catalogue I don't find anything really appealing. Some of their cafe racers are ok. It doesn't help that every single model looks like a different version of a guy I'm trying not to turn into.
On the website.

Google other pictures of the jackets you like and check this forum and others for guys who have bought the product and reviewed it.
I understand you want to avoid the oversize look. I dont really think shaming your build and dimensions, what ever they may be will help you enjoy shopping. It's always best to do so with an open mind. Who knows. You might find you like something that you were not even considering.

For example, I have unusually large hands with bony fingers for a guy of my build. I wear a double or triple x size glove. Shopping for gloves is a hassle, and I only buy, 1 brand. This is wells lamont for consistancy whether it's for work, or casual use. Consequentially, I also found out I can wear tops and outerwear that other guys my size would look awkward in. My example of this is that the heavy brown jacket and the lighter weight navy nubuck one are both andrew marc products. Not too many men are able to pull off their jackets in small and medium sizes even though they are standard 38s and 40size chests.. That's because the cuff sizing on lots of their offerings in leather is huge. My awkwardly large hands fill the disproportionately large cuffs perfectly, so I bought two of those styles with the cuffs after seeing that and trying it anyway.

Just so you know, I like stiffer heavier jackets because I bought my medium when I was 25 lbs lighter than I am now. Choose a lining at the weight of your own preference but heavy leather holds its shape better. So if you buy one that fits close now, it's likely to still be flattering later even if you decide to try to transform your body into a more athletic form of what it is now. As an example let's say, losing the weight to trim down then bulking back up with muscle to increase over all daily calorie consumption at rest. This gives you a metabolic boost to do and eat what you want. But, I'm saying that not knowing what you really want in life. You have not really given anyone anything they can use to help you. Sorry about any errors in this post. I'll edit them out later.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the website.

Google other pictures of the jackets you like and check this forum and others for guys who have bought the product and reviewed it.
I understand you want to avoid the oversize look. I dont really think shaming your build and dimensions, what ever they may be will help you enjoy shopping. It's always best to do so with an open mind. Who knows. You might find you like something that you were not even considering.

For example, I have unusually large hands with bony fingers for a guy of my build. I wear a double or triple x size glove. Shopping for gloves is a hassle, and I only buy, 1 brand. This is wells lamont for consistancy whether it's for work, or casual use. Consequentially, I also found out I can wear tops and outerwear that other guys my size would look awkward in. My example of this is that the heavy brown jacket and the lighter weight navy nubuck one are both andrew marc products. Not too many men are able to pull off their jackets in small and medium sizes even though they are standard 38s and 40size chests.. That's because the cuff sizing on lots of their offerings in leather is huge. My awkwardly large hands fill the disproportionately large cuffs perfectly, so I bought two of those styles with the cuffs after seeing that and trying it anyway.

Just so you know, I like stiffer heavier jackets because I bought my medium when I was 25 lbs lighter than I am now. Choose a lining at the weight of your own preference but heavy leather holds its shape better. So if you buy one that fits close now, it's likely to still be flattering later even if you decide to try to transform your body into a more athletic form of what it is now. As an example let's say, losing the weight to trim down then bulking back up with muscle to increase over all daily calorie consumption at rest. This gives you a metabolic boost to do and eat what you want. But, I'm saying that not knowing what you really want in life. You have not really given anyone anything they can use to help you. Sorry about any errors in this post. I'll edit them out later.

Thank you for your feedback.

My favourite leather jacket I've owned (and still owned) is a fashion jacket by Canali. I like the clean, simple lines and particularly the collar. I realize this may not be a popular choice with the StyleForum crowd.

1582864839001.png

It has the problem of being too small in the chest (I can't really move my arms properly when I zip it up anymore) and the paunchy look in the waist, which I think is more a factor of the pockets than anything. You wouldn't know it from this photo but I'm a drop 8 or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads