• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dhoff10

Reaction score
I posted earlier today, and figured I'll sell my old LVC jacket and replace it with a new one.

I've currently come to a verdict and picking between three models - are there any other makers than Schott, Simmon Bilt and Aero Leather worth looking for in Europe? I'm thinking ~600-1000 USD as my limit, so most Japanese makers are off the limit.

The ones I've been looking at so far are:

The sunburst:
3005550be72129a4_sunburst-500.jpg

1085550be83d5b09_sunburstback-500.jpg

The Aeromarine
745d285a4b5029b_AblotredoFront500.jpg

The Simmons bilt V2

sbv2webfront.jpg

I like the collar of the Simmons Bilt a lot, and wish the Aeromarine was similar, but I prefer the amount of buttons and lack of chest pocket more on the Aeromarine. I'm not sure if I prefer the pouch pockets (ammo pockets?) or handwarmers. I'm not a really big fan of the sunburst collar.

The sunbursts back is an amazing piece of art, to me, and is the main reason I like it: I'm generally against zippers, but Aero uses Talon zippers which is high quality enough. I also have bad experience of buttons for leather jackets from my LVC, but my local leather worker/tailor says its because they are poorly attached, not because button with thread shanks are inferior quality.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these jackets? Or know if Aero can change collars based on requests? Or got any ideas of similar jackets, or makers, that I could look at?

Thanks guys.

Have you checked Thedi in Greece? They're considered masters of the shawl collar.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm not a fan of the traditional cuts that go to the waist, are there any recommended brands for longer jackets?

Lem87

Reaction score
If I'm not a fan of the traditional cuts that go to the waist, are there any recommended brands for longer jackets?
Describe styles you like. Schott makes leather peacoat. Maybe soul revolver is up your alley.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Describe styles you like. Schott makes leather peacoat. Maybe soul revolver is up your alley.

I'm attracted to something more minimalist along the lines of a cafe racer in black. However I don't think you can just take a style that's meant to be waist-length and extend it, or you end up with a poofy back. You really need something with some sort of definition around the waist if you're going to go longer, IMO. Not a fan of something like a leather peacoat.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm attracted to something more minimalist along the lines of a cafe racer in black. However I don't think you can just take a style that's meant to be waist-length and extend it, or you end up with a poofy back. You really need something with some sort of definition around the waist if you're going to go longer, IMO. Not a fan of something like a leather peacoat.

Sounds like you want a leather trenchcoat

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@Zamb

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you want a leather trenchcoat

I'm not looking for something ridiculous like that, I just don't like short jackets in general so I'd prefer something that goes more to, uh, butt level. I realize that there's a reason why motorcycle jackets are cut shorter, but I don't ride a bike so I don't care. Kinda wondering what suggestions people have for styles. I already own an Aero jacket in brown. Don't really like most of their half belt styles in black.

Lem87

Reaction score
Check out Scott's cafe styles then. They do have longer cafes. My soul revolver suggestion was pretty much in case you were going the trench coat direction but they have a very wide variety of styles. Lots of them are inspired by popular culture icons. Still worth a look for the variety though.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, someone posted a Shinki Dark Brown Himel Kensington size 42 on the bay yesterday at no reserve auction starting at $99. Interested to see what it ends up at.

Here's another shot of the one I found earlier this year (the mannequin isn't a true 36, more like a 38-39). Also posted a review of it in my sig, with more details and some classic robo pose.

DSC04174-2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads