• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, the collar on mine IMMEDIATELY started darkening and showing the same signs of wear. The Chicago winter has been warm enough that I haven't put as much use on mine as you have on yours, but I will come this spring and I've already started thinking about what to do (clean than spray with a protectant has been my first though). I'm looking forward to other's suggestions.
An oily neck is a sign of high testosterone!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The suede collar on my Clint is getting pretty dang oily, almost to the point of becoming unsightly. The nap is matted in an oily ring around the fold of the collar where it makes contact with my neck. I can almost see my reflection. So gross.

I've been reading up on suede maintenance and it sounds like this is a common problem. I’ve seen two methods for dealing with suede collar oil.

1. pouring corn starch or baking soda on it and allowing it to soak in for 8 hours. Not sure if I believe this one, the oils are pretty waxy and I can’t see corn starch penetrating deeply with out vigorously massaging it in.

2. applying lighter fluid or white vinegar to a cotton ball and wiping away the oils. I guess lighter fluid and vinegar are gentle solvents and will break down the oils. I can somewhat believe this one.

has anyone had luck with oils on suede? How have y’all managed to deal with it? DWW has suggested rave fabricare and I may give them a try but am wondering if a home remedy might do the trick first.

I thought I wouldn’t care so much but my collar is really gross man!

I've never tried it on a suede jacket, but you could try Saphir's Omni Nettoyant suede shampoo. It's a gentle cleanser designed for suede shoes. I've had OK luck with it on suede shoes, although I imagine a suede collar is a tougher job.

I once splashed a bit of cooking oil on a suede jacket and was able to get it out with a sprinkling of diatomaceous earth. Diatomaceous earth is a bit abrasive, however, so when you remove it, you want to dump it off, not brush it off. You also want to be careful with it around pets, as it's not good for them to inhale. Alternatively, you can also use baby powder. But again, I imagine a suede collar is a tougher job than just a small bit of cooking oil.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suede collar on my Clint is getting pretty dang oily, almost to the point of becoming unsightly. The nap is matted in an oily ring around the fold of the collar where it makes contact with my neck. I can almost see my reflection. So gross.

I've been reading up on suede maintenance and it sounds like this is a common problem. I’ve seen two methods for dealing with suede collar oil.

1. pouring corn starch or baking soda on it and allowing it to soak in for 8 hours. Not sure if I believe this one, the oils are pretty waxy and I can’t see corn starch penetrating deeply with out vigorously massaging it in.

2. applying lighter fluid or white vinegar to a cotton ball and wiping away the oils. I guess lighter fluid and vinegar are gentle solvents and will break down the oils. I can somewhat believe this one.

has anyone had luck with oils on suede? How have y’all managed to deal with it? DWW has suggested rave fabricare and I may give them a try but am wondering if a home remedy might do the trick first.

I thought I wouldn’t care so much but my collar is really gross man!

For cleaning suede shoes, I've used Lincoln EZ Clean and had very good results.

I also had to clean a couple of suede jackets after a house fire covered them in a thin layer of ash. I used Johnson Baby Shampoo and they came out pretty good. The suede didn't stiffen very much and the nap was almost back to normal. The color didn't darken at all. Might be worth a try but I'd spot test first.

Lem87

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, the collar on mine IMMEDIATELY started darkening and showing the same signs of wear. The Chicago winter has been cold enough that I haven't put as much use on mine as you have on yours, but I will come this spring and I've already started thinking about what to do (clean than spray with a protectant has been my first though). My other thought is just to consider that unavoidable wear and try to wear the entire jacket in that hard so it looks more like an old dirty broken down jacket. I'm looking forward to other's suggestions.
Pale eraser bar. Every suede maintenance kit has an eraser in it.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y’all have some greasy necks. Cut your hair, ya hippies!

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a greasy neck (what can I say, I’m Italian and use pomade) and on my suede trucker I just chalk it up to wear. On a more precious suede trenchcoat I tried everything heretofore mentioned, plus @ntempleman suggested Fiebergs suede cleaner but as I’m a clumsy electrician I left rings on the suede. Eventually I had the whole jacket re-dyed and always wear a scarf with it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a greasy neck (what can I say, I’m Italian and use pomade) and on my suede trucker I just chalk it up to wear. On a more precious suede trenchcoat I tried everything heretofore mentioned, plus @ntempleman suggested Fiebergs suede cleaner but as I’m a clumsy electrician I left rings on the suede. Eventually I had the whole jacket re-dyed and always wear a scarf with it.

That's a good point. I've found that Saphir's suede shampoo sometimes leaves rings if you're doing spot cleaning, rather than cleaning all over the shoe. Prob hard to do right on a suede jacket, as it's a much bigger item

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In any case, I look forward to my next Clint being black. I just need enough of you to join my order so we hit the minimums.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe greasy will become a part of my look.

If its any consolation, all your jackets have the same ring...you just can't see it on the others (but it is there). :)

Having just acquired a suede jacket in espresso (darker than snuff, lighter than brown) and reading about oily necks and suede (may have been your post), I sprayed the collar with the same Nano spray I use on my shoes. I'm hoping it helps w/prevention. The color is pretty dark but I expect to see the ring at some point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads